Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ultima 9 is on GOG.com

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
To know that this was the single buggiest game I ever experienced.
To never being able to finish this game because of said epic bugs.
To wonder if the GOG version possibly would work under Windows 7.
To know that Jaesun talks shit regarding not needing compatibility fixes as I tried an original one a few months ago and it wouldn't even install.
To be seriously considering buying it.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
To know that this was the single buggiest game I ever experienced.
To never being able to finish this game because of said epic bugs.
To wonder if the GOG version possibly would work under Windows 7.
To know that Jaesun talks shit regarding not needing compatibility fixes as I tried an original one a few months ago and it wouldn't even install.
To be seriously considering buying it.

Speaking of people full of shit. I installed and ran Ultima IX just fine with windows 7, with no compatibility mode needed. I have the original CD's and the update CD they sent out.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
and the update CD they sent out.

And that's probably the key thing. Or are you running 32bit Win 7? Because like I said, mine wouldn't even install. Don't have the CD's anymore to screw around with but that's why I'll try the GOG version.

Bruticis

I've also installed my retail copy plus patch CD with zero (install) problems on Win 7 x64. If you don't have the CDs anymore, what exactly did you attempt to install?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I have never heard of people having OS compatibility problems with U9.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
and the update CD they sent out.

And that's probably the key thing. Or are you running 32bit Win 7? Because like I said, mine wouldn't even install. Don't have the CD's anymore to screw around with but that's why I'll try the GOG version.

Well every single person who bought the game at the time, could register and get the update CD. So why didn't you have it?

Also yes I AM running Windows 7 32 bit.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
I've also installed my retail copy plus patch CD with zero (install) problems on Win 7 x64. If you don't have the CDs anymore, what exactly did you attempt to install?

Borrowed a friend's copy, I never bought the original. I played it with a version removed from inventory the first time.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Well every single person in North America who bought the game at the time, could register and get the update CD. So why didn't you have it?

Fixed? I'm not sure Europeans could get it.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
And no, the guy I got it from didn't register his game, and nor have I ever registered any game I've bought on discs ever. Partly because as Infinitron said is was usually US only, and partly because I didn't see the point. Guess they showed me, 12 years later.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
And no, the guy I got it from didn't register his game, and nor have I ever registered any game I've bought on discs ever. Partly because as Infinitron said is was usually US only, and partly because I didn't see the point. Guess they showed me, 12 years later.
Revenge is a dish best served cold.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

But I don't have this "update disc" either and I've had no compatibility problems. The update disc is just a patched version of the game. The same patch you can download from the Internet (actually it's probably an older one)

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Well I don't know what to tell you, it didn't work for me. I probably could have got it working eventually but I gave up since it's not exactly one of my favourite games of all time, and gave the box back. I've bought the GOG version now though and I'll see how that goes.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I wonder what options GOG uses for its Options.ini. I should also give this a short try while using the nGlide.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
http://codex.ultimaaiera.com/wiki/Talk:Ultima_IX:_Ascension

Damn you Ultima IX!

This may not really be proper Wikia discussion, but here we go. So I decided to try to play Ultima IX, it has been 10 years after all, and I was curious to see if my opinion has changed. Unfortunately, it seems the Ultima IX installer doesn't work in Windows Vista, and trying to fiddle around with my compatibility modes still won't let it work. Checking online, I've seen other people have had this problem, but none of them offer any solutions that are feasible for me. Any ideas? Also, does Windows Vista compatibility mode actually even do anything? I've had numerous programs that don't work properly in Vista, and changing my compatibility settings have never changed anything. Dungy 01:19, October 5, 2010 (UTC)

I gave it a try. Now I man under Windows 7 and not Vista, but this is close enough. Now the autorun installer doesn't work. With the original install disc it just don't run, and with the updated install disc it crashes when you click install. However... you can install the game by opening the CD and running directly "Setup.exe". This appears to be working and should allow you to install the game from either of these install discs. (As for compatibility I have come up with a few games that work with compatiblity set to Windows 95... but they're very rare). --Sergorn 07:39, October 5, 2010 (UTC)

Tried setup.exe last night. That crashed on me too. Weird. Dungy 10:47, October 5, 2010 (UTC)

And then I tried it again this morning and it worked beautifully. It seems my problem was I kept trying to run autorun before running setup.exe. The issue I had was autorun so completely screwed up my laptop, that setup.exe would no longer work either. This morning I ran setup,exe without even using autorun, and things went swimmingly. Dungy 11:02, October 5, 2010 (UTC)

I have Win 7 Ultimate, and it installed fine under the XP Virtual Machine that was included. Didn't try to install without it. I may try by using setup directly and see how it runs; the VM makes the game seem even more sluggish than I remember... Browncoat Jayson 17:19, October 5, 2010 (UTC)

It's true that old autoruns often have trouble running on Vista/7. The actual setup programs run just fine.

Stabwound

Arcane
It seems as though Good Old Games has been stretching the definition of the words "good" and "old" lately.

Repressed Homosexual
GOG has become uninteresting with all these crappy Indie games diluting it. Seeing the new releases on Tuesday and Thursday was one of the highlights of my week. Now I don't even care anymore. Why don't they focus on other classics instead of grating indie garbage that everyone just gets for 1.25$ at a Steam sale or in a bundle?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom