Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Underrail, Postapocalyptic Turn-based RPG, Demo Now Available

Jedi Exile

Arcanum
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong
It crushed when I tried to escape from the psi bug and transit to another zone. Also, I've got totally lost in the caves. But overall, it is good.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Very nice, played for abou an hour, then died horribly. It's certainly the most interesting "fallout-clones" I ever played.

As for feedback, does it has a "run" mode? The poacing of the combat is great and exploring slowly helps the mood, but walking around the base slowly is kind of a bore...

Styg

Stygian Software
Developer
how do i load the special arrows into the crossbow?

You put them in 'utility slots' (the column of slots on the left side of the inventory screen) and then they are available on the right side of the action bar (the red buttons). Then you can use them as any usable item / ability from there, if you have crossbow equipped that is.

As for feedback, does it has a "run" mode? The poacing of the combat is great and exploring slowly helps the mood, but walking around the base slowly is kind of a bore...

No, I'm afraid not.

It crushed when I tried to escape from the psi bug and transit to another zone.

Were you able to reload a save and continue after that? I think this happened once randomly during testing as well. Haven't figured out why yet.

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer
It's certainly the most interesting "fallout-clones" I ever played.

If devs make enough of them, they will stop being "clones" and become a genre - Post Apocalyptic RPG, PA RPG.

Styg, I will download this later on, as I am on limited downloads. I wouldn't think twice about downloading a 200-250Mb demo, but 600 is pushing it.

Jedi Exile

Arcanum
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Were you able to reload a save and continue after that? I think this happened once randomly during testing as well. Haven't figured out why yet.

I was able to reload, but I couldn't exit that area with the bugs - the game crashed again with the usual message "Unable to transit to another zone" or something like that.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Thanks for being one of the frontrunners of the Great Revolution, Styg :) :dance:

Note to self: IndieDB can be successfully used to host demo files. (scribbles)

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
Well this is exciting. Downloading now. Feedback later.

EDIT: Geez. I didn't even mean to start tonight but I was so curious I installed, booted up and got sucked into the character creation! Well-fucking-done, lad. The atmosphere is great and everything (I saved and turned off immediately after the mini-intro) so far is fantastic. Can't wait to sink my teeth in further!

bhlaab

Erudite
Feedback
-The name of the target covers up the floating damage number. This is most obvious during target practice.
-Reloading my 5mm pistol from the hotbar doesn't work. Have to open the inventory.
-The game kind of starts you off doing a lot of boring quests where you have to walk from one end of the station, talk to a guy who tells you to go back to the other end of the station and talk to another guy, etc. Never really felt like I wanted to go around talking to everyone. I mean, the writing is serviceable and not bad, but I ended up habitually skipping through a lot of it. It felt like quite a bit of boring tutorial stuff, and the dialogue was often very dry and tutorial/exposition-y which didn't help. Reminded me a bit of Vault 101 from Fallout 3 where I just wanted to skip it and start playing the real game already.
-The lack of a run feature is a bummer. I assume it's intended to be added later? If not-- please!

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Far more enjoyable than AoD demo. Looking forward to tossing filthy lucre at the finished product :takemymoney:

Grim Monk

Arcane
A minor question:
How do you :oops: get the Crossbow to shoot the "Putrefying" bolts instead of regular ones?

It automatically takes the regular ones from your inventory, and there is no option to "unload, and load another type of ammo" like you do with the firearms...

Self-Ejected

Jack

█▓▒░
Patron
Insert Title Here
A minorquestion:
How do you:oops:get the Crossbow to shoot the "Putrefying" bolts instead of regular ones?
You put the arrows in the red slots to your far left, in one of the grenade 'n special ammo slots.
3682960Screen1.png

You then press the appropriate icon/hotkey and fire it like an ability.
1139612Screen2.png

I finished the demo last night and it was frickin sweet but as always there's room for improvement.
  • Walking speed, it's pretty damn slow mang. It's fine when exploring new areas, but going back and forth between known areas is pretty dull.
  • Map of some kind, while not necessary in the demo it could be very useful in the full game if you keep expanding the tunnels.
  • More numbers on the inventory screen, not having to hold the mouse over all your equipped items to see your resistances etc would be neat.
  • Cooldowns are boring, I'd rather have the game let me OD on hypos than restricting me like this. And having to wait for lockpicking to recharge is kinda stupid if you ask me, specially since the skill itself isn't instantaneous.
  • Bigger quick invoker button, I almost didn't use it because it was so tiny.
  • The only bug I encountered was that the auto function during trade sometimes tried to buy stuff with bullets instead of credits.
That's all I can think of atm, it did a lot of things right. Exploration was great fun and the combat was serviceable. I also got a strong Deus Ex vibe from the GMS Compound quest crawling around in ventilation ducts and all, more stuff like that would be wonderful to have in the full game. Oh, and the visuals are excellent by the way.
95% of game's size are prerendered characters.
How much space would you save by mirroring sprites instead of using different ones when facing opposite directions?

Downloading. The rapid progress and high standards on this project were always very interesting to watch in the Workshop

On another note I absolutely fucking hate embedded advertising videos that play visuals and sound automatically without being clicked (indiedb)

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
It is not a very good idea to install dotNET to play a game, let alone a demo. I know it's too late to change that now, but you will get a lot of flak for this, I promise you.

I develop with .NET myself. and I don't want games to mess up my config. But I can switch to a experimental config, so I will have a look.

But looks very promising.

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
Styg: When are you going to make a 3rd person isometric PARTY BASED, turn based crpg set in a dark, gothic fantasy universe?
Fuck your Fantasy bullshit, there is enough of that.

No, there is not actually. In fact, there is NONE of that.

Yes, I know it is cool and hip to say that there are TONS of fantasy games out there and the market is saturated we need moar post apok and sci fy/shadowrun blah blah, but here is the thing you may not understand, being a Bioware fanboy:

-Diablo 3 is not a (fantasy) rpg. Games like Risen, Dragon Age, Skyrim, Morrowind, etc etc etc are not what I was talking about when I was talking to Styg. The last real fantasy rpg in the classical hardcore vein was Knights of the Chalice, and while it was great, it was too limiting, mainly due to the D&D license.
The fuck did you call me grasshopper? Bioware fanboy? I think you got your users wrong considering my blatant hatred for that company. Besides that, I want you to explain to me what has Bioware got to do with D3. Secondly it doesn't change jack shit what you consider 'Fantasy', the games you mentioned are fantasy, maybe schlock true, but still fantasy. And there are too many of those.

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Styg: When are you going to make a 3rd person isometric PARTY BASED, turn based crpg set in a dark, gothic fantasy universe?
Fuck your Fantasy bullshit, there is enough of that.
What are you replying to ?

EDIT: Nevermind, it was one of the ones I ignore.

On topic:

- Tried the demo, was kind of shocked that it did not want to work after pressing "new game", but indeed, forcing Windows 7 32b to run it as Admin fixed that. Love the wide choice of resolutions, and had fun on character create, although.. 135 points to spend ? Hehe, maybe on char create you would want a more bulky approach, spending 5 points at each click or so. But that's me nitpicking. In the bottom you have "Accept" button, but basically that starts the game, whether you have distributed your points or not. Perhaps give a warning, or change text on button into "Start"

- Have not played a lot yet, but I dig the intro, where they talk about you, without you being present. Also, the graphics and interface, for me they are just so perfect. Looks lovely, I like the various objects that have no real use but have mouseover info either way, it really adds to the atmosphere (example - the painting in starting room)

:salute:

Charles-cgr

OlderBytes
Developer
Project: Eternity
It is not a very good idea to install dotNET to play a game, let alone a demo. I know it's too late to change that now, but you will get a lot of flak for this, I promise you.

I develop with .NET myself. and I don't want games to mess up my config. But I can switch to a experimental config, so I will have a look.

But looks very promising.

I had the same thought, and kind of got worried after the first install didn't work. The second did though and my PC is still alive. Still it is a big pain to get started & might require some optimization (like perhaps the character mirroring Jack suggested to reduce the number of pre-rendereds), especially if the full game is several times bigger.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
On topic:

- Tried the demo, was kind of shocked that it did not want to work after pressing "new game", but indeed, forcing Windows 7 32b to run it as Admin fixed that. Love the wide choice of resolutions, and had fun on character create, although.. 135 points to spend ? Hehe, maybe on char create you would want a more bulky approach, spending 5 points at each click or so. But that's me nitpicking. In the bottom you have "Accept" button, but basically that starts the game, whether you have distributed your points or not. Perhaps give a warning, or change text on button into "Start"

You can click the + button on the skills and hold your left mouse button down, that gets up the points pretty quickly.

Also, when I click accept without having spent everything, the game tells me I have to spend all points before starting.

Styg

Stygian Software
Developer
On topic:

You can click the + button on the skills and hold your left mouse button down, that gets up the points pretty quickly.

Also, when I click accept without having spent everything, the game tells me I have to spend all points before starting.

That's what should be happening. DF, if you somehow got to start the game without placing all stats, skills and feats could you PM me the details? Thanks.

Yoshiyyahu

Arcane
Patron
im in mushroom cove, and i get a 'zone transition failed' whenever i try to go back to the previous area

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom