Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Information Ultima IX Now on GOG

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Tags: GOG; Ultima; Ultima IX: Ascension

It looks like GOG.com has completed the Ultima saga by adding the ill-fated Ultima IX: Ascension to its catalogue. Not that I tend to trust user reviews, but in this case the average user rating of 2.5/5 says it all, really. Still, experiencing a trainwreck firsthand can sometimes be fun, I guess. (Don't quote me on that.)

Prepare to embark on the final adventure in Ultima--the best selling role-playing saga of all time that has nurtured generations of gamers. Answer the call and return to Britannia for your last epic quest. As the heroic Avatar, only you can save Lord British and his people from the evil Guardian who has devastated and corrupted the land. Valiant combat, magical prowess, and knowledge of the eight virtues are your weapons against evil in Ultima IX: Ascension.

The ninth installment of the Ultima series takes a leap into a vivid, detailed 3D environment that adds a whole new level of interaction to the exploration of the realm. Britannia was always one of the most life-like, well-developed, king-sized virtual lands, but this new perspective makes the experience of “living” in it much more immersive. The combination of a story of epic proportions, solid mechanics--true to the classic cRPG spirit, and that achingly familiar Ultima setting, Ultima IX: Ascension a memorable title that all role-players should experience for themselves.

Ascend to the realm of myth and legend in the final single-player Ultima game!

What's cool about it
  • Dive into the rich and extensive fantasy world that is a worthy setting for the extravagant finale of the genre-changing, award-winning Ultima saga!
  • Witness the final chapter in the chronicles of Britannia--a story so epic that its script takes hundreds of pages in writing.
  • Take up the mantle of the Avatar one last time and free the land of Guardian’s curse using an incredibly vast assortment of weapons, armor, items, and spells.
Grab it here. (By buying it via that link, you also support the Codex a bit. Supporting the Codex by buying an awful game is pretty ironic, isn't it?)

Incidentally, to celebrate mourn the event, GOG has the entire Ultima series on sale. You know you want to play Ultima II, at the very least, to complement the Ultima IX experience.

Spotted at Gamebanshee

Last edited by a moderator:

Silellak

Cipher
TheOfficeNO.gif

Mother Russia

Andhaira
Andhaira
Dumbfuck Queued
Codex 2013
To it's credit, Ultima 9 had a large selection of classes, which seems great until you experiment a bit and realize they are basically all Warrior-Mages. :decline:

Gishes are my favorite class, along with Paladin's and sorcerors/magic users, but I like to have choice, even if I won't ever play any other type of class.

Also, U9 had what appeared to be a great fighting system, with different types of move combinations you could learn that depended on weapon type. The staff, and often neglected weapon in rpgs, had it's own moveset and seemed quite powerful (dunno if it was though, as I quit this bug riddled piece of shit when I got to Shamino's talking stone statue)

kanenas

Educated
Meh U9 was one of the first entries on my "not even worth pirating" list

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
As an exploratory action/adventure game that came out in 2000, it's not bad.

As an Ultima, it is an utter fucking abomination.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
What's a paladin?

Seriously, if you want something that is similar in gameplay, but not as fucked up story-wise and bug-ridden and just plain bad:
Play King's Quest 8. I have very fond memories of that one.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
You know you want to play Ultima II, at the very least, to complement the Ultima IX experience.

These days, this world goes mad! I was in New York city, or at least I believed so. Now I’m in a strange land trapped within time. And many weird things and monsters attack me!

Realizing Minucks, apprentice of Evil Lord Mondine, devised these things, I set forth to destroy Minucks, through the time and the space. But, what a terrible end! How could I imagine it, and Minucks is mad with joy!

(source)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom