Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition Released

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
It's a game worth trying, imo. It has its faults, and the difficulty is way overstated - and often either annoyingly tedious or a result of crappy gamepad camera controls. Still, it does a lot of things differently than most games, and some of them it does very, very well. In my mind, it's a bit like the first Stalker. Sure, there's some annoyances, and some major rage every so often, but it's an experience unlike any other.

This item is currently unavailable in your region
More like Dark Souls: Prepare to Wait Edition. FFS. Why release shit on PC at all, when you can't be arsed to port it properly and on top of that start with region lock buttfuck from day one. Oh well, at least i have an extended period of time, during which i'll get to "demo" it without remorse. And when it's finally released worldwide maybe the modders have actually made it playable.

PIRACY IS KILLING PC GAMING

Outlander

Custom Tags Are For Fags.
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
People who hail DS as the new 'best thing' played it on consoles.

As in, they own a console. Ergo, their opinions are irrelevant.

/end of edge

phanboy_iv

Liturgist
Played for 10 hours so far.

It runs smooth, with the fanpatch it's gorgeous, and if you're sane and play it with a 360 controller it controls easily and predictably once you learn the ropes.

The difficulty is overstated, it's an order of magnitude less difficult than virtually any DOS-era CRPG of note. It is never unfair, it usually just seems like it before you actually start paying attention to what's going on.

It never feels tedious or repetitive, or at least for me not in the way TW1 or Diablo do. It rewards paying attention, taking your time, playing it smart, and exploring.

It manages an admirably consistent tone, very dark/nasty/lonely/threatening European decay stuff, a bit like Lea Monde in Vagrant Story.

The combat is chunky, measured and enjoyable by itself, hack 'n slash is not rewarded or even possible, the gameplay and pacing are stunningly well designed and thought out, which puts it very far ahead of TW1.

tl;dr It's a console port, it works fine, it's better than your average (classic) blobber, it's gloomy and clever and punishes stupidity, if that's not your cuppa move on.

made

Arcane
It's a game worth trying, imo. It has its faults, and the difficulty is way overstated - and often either annoyingly tedious or a result of crappy gamepad camera controls. Still, it does a lot of things differently than most games, and some of them it does very, very well. In my mind, it's a bit like the first Stalker. Sure, there's some annoyances, and some major rage every so often, but it's an experience unlike any other.
Sums it up perfectly.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
So, bought DS and gave it a whirl.

Installed latest fan patch, plugged in my Rumblepad and ran X360ce.

Game looks all right. No major issues with the controls, though camera and locking sucks (as usual). No crashes. English translation is still laughable.

Is this supposed to be hard? Cleared the first area, beat the first boss after getting sword and shield by glitching through the door that was supposed to be locked ( and therefore before getting health potions and without using the jump attack on him). Then fooled around a bit, got a morning star and went to smash skeletons in catacombs. Probably not supposed to do this, as it is quite tedious and time consuming.

DS isn't hard per se, it just forces you to play slow and cautious. Smash, regain stamina, evade counter. The drake boss is getting on my nerves, though I did manage to get him down to one third of health.

The more I play DS, the more it makes me want to uninstall and reinstall Severance instead. Killing ghastlies and ghostlies just isn't very rewarding.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
English translation is still laughable.
Have you (or anyone else here) played the game in Japanese? Were the NPC lines and VA originally less retarded?

I dunno, since I don't do consoles but...

...yeah. You can kind of see at some places how the script has been written first in Japanese to be translated to English. Nonsense in both cases, but really awkward in English. Item descriptions being the most annoying example.

MapMan

Arcane
I found the vanilla game unplayable. I'll wait until the game gets fixed by modders (and maybe developers) and then try it again.

xilo3z

Educated
DS isn't hard per se, it just forces you to play slow and cautious. Smash, regain stamina, evade counter.

Pretty much it. Its a good game (not great or amazing or anything), but it is not some 'true leet skillz gamers only' game or anything like that which the console reviewers like to scream about. A guy at Gamestop literally tried to question my 'gamehood' in his sales pitch for Demons Souls. It was a few years ago, and I learned to never go in there since then, but it was something like - "You know if you think you're a good gamer, then you need to get it just verify if you are or aren't. Only the hardcore can survive it. So if you think you're good like all us hardcore gamers here, then you need to get this. Or you can stick with Mario or something."

But just as you said - its nothing hard, just go slow and be methodical and you win. Anyone on the fence should definitely play it though. I feel redundant now since this thread has now become just every poster agreeing with each other :(

Irxy

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Metro is a popamole lover. He thinks Witcher is better than Dark Souls. How pathetic.
At least Witcher is not locked at 30 fps w/o vsync and it doesn't need external tools to set a correct resolution, lol.
And yes, graphics matter for an action game with little plot.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Metro is a popamole lover. He thinks Witcher is better than Dark Souls. How pathetic.
At least Witcher is not locked at 30 fps w/o vsync and it doesn't need external tools to set a correct resolution, lol.
And yes, graphics matter for an action game with little plot.

You can fix a lousy port like DS, but you can never fix a shitty game like Witcher.

Black

Arcane
I found the vanilla game unplayable. I'll wait until the game gets fixed by modders (and maybe developers) and then try it again.
Yeah, I doubt that's going to happen unless modders can somehow fix k+m controls.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
The game was intentionally written to be that way; there were a couple interviews with the translator. I think he did a very good job. I'll ridicule myself by even saying it's extremely well written, in a way you aren't used to.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
The game was intentionally written to be that way; there were a couple interviews with the translator. I think he did a very good job. I'll ridicule myself by even saying it's extremely well written, in a way you aren't used to.
Agreed, the dialog is great and subtle, perfectly paired with the game design. NPCs like the sun bro and onion knight have like only 10 lines each and still 10 times more personality than BioWarian love interests than never shut up.

made

Arcane
Agreed, the dialog is great and subtle

NPC: Praise the sun!
NPC: ...
NPC: HUEHUE HUEHUE HUEHUE

Yeah, I can see why you'd like it.

Seriously, minimalistic dialogue = good. it adds to the whole desolate feel of the gameworld.
But retarded dialogue = bad. Especially coupled with the lame VA. Game would be better off if it had no dialogues at all.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
It never gets that retarded, the Sun Bro dialogs are very good, you see him downspiring into madness bit by bit, just by saying 1-2 lines. The onion knight is almost a comic relief, I really feel glad wennever I find him and he's all "hmmmm... how I do this?". Every character is haunted by the undead curse and a step before madness, and the game shows that.

made

Arcane
Yeah I get what they tried to do and I appreciate it, it's just the delivery is not convincing due to lame VA and/or translation.
Anyway, pointless to argue about it since it's (thankfully) such a small part of the game.

Mortmal

Arcane
It never gets that retarded, the Sun Bro dialogs are very good, you see him downspiring into madness bit by bit, just by saying 1-2 lines. The onion knight is almost a comic relief, I really feel glad wennever I find him and he's all "hmmmm... how I do this?". Every character is haunted by the undead curse and a step before madness, and the game shows that.

Yes i remember well those characters espeially our sun bro gruesome ending , i cant say i remember many mass effect 3 characters . Atmopshere is incredible int his game, morbid unreal , and despairing . As the for the diffculty some say its overstated , indeed its comparable to early days of gaming , early dos games , snes , megadrive , amiga gaming, so compare to nowadays gaming its absurdly diffcult, way more than skyrim where you never die at all .No one holding your hand and telling you where to go, no quest at all, go explore and die.

Self-Ejected

Brayko

Self-Ejected
I think Morgoth needs to go back to Kotaku or something.

Anyway, Derp Souls is not a bad game at all, it's just that some of us did not care for it for various reasons. I found that the atmosphere sucked and it felt too constricted and had no decent plotline (guilty of storyfaggotry). Yes, the game has lots of little secret gems and treasure finds which feels very rewarding especially against the tough foes. In short, it's guilty of being a Dark Jrpg, and I don't like too many Jrpgs except ones with a good plot (like Suikoden 2, for instance).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom