Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Guild Wars 2 Thread

SerratedBiz

Arcane
For you peoples having problems with instances, last night I was doing CM and TA with some guildies and had the same troubles you had. We seemed to eventually narrow down the workaround to something relatively simple and time-efficient: once you have your whole party outside the instance and people get in:

1 Check that your whole party is inside (derp)
10 IF 1 = false then unlucky party member leaves party, logs out (to character select, for simplicity), logs back in and gets invited to party. Have said party member attempt to enter instance again.
20 IF 10 = fuckedup then keep trying using such variations as kick -> invite -> try to enter -> leave instance -> kick -> logout -> invite -> enter. It systematically worked for us in under two repetitions, even mid-instance after player initially failed to join party instance.

Angthoron

Arcane
For you peoples having problems with instances, last night I was doing CM and TA with some guildies and had the same troubles you had. We seemed to eventually narrow down the workaround to something relatively simple and time-efficient: once you have your whole party outside the instance and people get in:

1 Check that your whole party is inside (derp)
10 IF 1 = false then unlucky party member leaves party, logs out (to character select, for simplicity), logs back in and gets invited to party. Have said party member attempt to enter instance again.
20 IF 10 = fuckedup then keep trying using such variations as kick -> invite -> try to enter -> leave instance -> kick -> logout -> invite -> enter. It systematically worked for us in under two repetitions, even mid-instance after player initially failed to join party instance.
Cool, will give this a try if.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Charr looks like the only decent race. Still not a huge fan of the hybrid class design. I have a buddy that's playing non-stop but with TL2 coming out in a couple of weeks I really can't justify putting down $60 or whatever for GW2. Hell, most places have ran out of keys... not sure how that's possible, though.

Data4

Arcane
Alright, now that it's out, I'm lifting my personal embargo. Does the game have anything to offer the hardnosed soloist?

DakaSha

Arcane
i just spent 30 mins with a group of who knows how many idiots killing some retard giant that could kill you in (literally) one AOE hit and it didnt drop a single item or chest

fucking retarded

i just spent 30 mins with a group of who knows how many idiots killing some retard giant that could kill you in (literally) one AOE hit and it didnt drop a single item or chest

fucking retarded

Happens way too god damned often. I estimated approximately 100k health on a boss to which I (and presumably most other people in the instance) only did ~20 damage per attack. Only took about 10-15 mins, but after 5 I just went off somewhere else and got the gold bonus eventually.

You should have seen the time a random no name enemy for an event became invulnerable. I think half the instance starting whacking him. Because when you see 30 people hitting a normal centaur enemy you really think your extra 1/31th firepower is what it takes to kill it.

Data4

Arcane
You can tell Jeremy Soule did the music for the game. The music around Shaemoor sounds like it was lifted directly from the Oblivion soundtrack.

DakaSha

Arcane
Could they have made crafting any more of a tedious mess? Fucking horrible

Does anyone else get freaked the hell out when Charr talk in a perfect un-accented voice?

It should really pull shit directly from your stash, and all those in-between components should stash-able. Whoever designed it should be shot.

DakaSha

Arcane
Does anyone else get freaked the hell out when Charr talk in a perfect un-accented voice?

It should really pull shit directly from your stash, and all those in-between components should stash-able.

Its not even only that. thats just the most obvious retarded shit. I AM CONNECTED TO THE COLLECTIBLE BANK in what way does making me grab every possible fuckign item individually add to this experience? Its just pissing me the fuck off. and then when i try to craft i run out of room. Why? Because i have a billion collectibles in my inventory

It gets really fuckign fun when you wan to level up your crafting skills to you know.. The step above novice and 99% of the crafting options stop giving you xp.. and your only t 40/75

Also if I have everything needed to craft a final product why in the name of fuck do i have to actually go through the 5 steps to create every refinement. Whats wrong with the game just letting me go: CRAFT and it taking over that shit.

I wouldnt even mind if the crafting menu wasnt a horrible mess thats impossible to (quickly) use. It takes me forever to actually get the refinements i need and i always end up with excess shit.. Cant salvage it either.

All of this wouldnt be nearly as bad if i didnt have to craft 60000 items that im never going to use just to advance a SINGLE rank. I have shitloads of iron.. you think i cna use it? No.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
It gets really fuckign fun when you wan to level up your crafting skills to you know.. The step above novice and 99% of the crafting options stop giving you xp.. and your only t 40/75

I'm at 378 weaponsmithing. Just need to find some oricalcum to hit 400. Problem?

Making finished items are generally the big hit. Also, you appear to get double XP when discovering a new item. So if you're making weapons/armor, make sure to have a vareity of inscriptions/emblems and do one of each. that'll speed up your progress.

Yeah, discovery is key. Make 6 of each weapon, add different inscription to each, 50 levels in the blink of an eye. Not that the game tells you this, because derp.

DakaSha

Arcane

I'm at 378 weaponsmithing. Just need to find some oricalcum to hit 400. Problem?

I was waiting for something like this. I don't see how you grinding through the tedium in any way refutes thats its horrible and not fun.

Making finished items are generally the big hit. Also, you appear to get double XP when discovering a new item. So if you're making weapons/armor, make sure to have a vareity of inscriptions/emblems and do one of each. that'll speed up your progress.

Well yeah. To bad you have to go through all the previous listed steps to actually craft one of those items.

It's a horrible and tedious waste of time. There is no way to justify this as being good. It has more to do with the interface then the actual mechanics though.

DakaSha

Arcane
Lol the different crafting categories also move around making sifting through all the possibilities a horrible experience. I'm guessing this is a bug that willl be fixed though

waywardOne

Arcane
Alright, I just got this and it's taking fucklong to get updated. Quote this for me and tell me the 'Dex's Kwan and Euro homes and who to contact for an invite. Premature brojaculation for it: ::unf::

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
There's a Kodex Kool Krew on Seafarers rest, though half of the people in it rolled on different servers 'cause euro cannot into coordination. I can invite you, so can zed, suicidebunny, mangoose, berekan, excidium, meh or hoaxmetal :P
The CDS have a copycat guild on an kwan server. Not sure which. Sovard can invite you to that.

meh

Educated
Lol the different crafting categories also move around making sifting through all the possibilities a horrible experience. I'm guessing this is a bug that willl be fixed though
I don't mind crafting, I'm at 177 armorsmithing being level 42. You are probably doing something wrong, remember to craft orange components, which give you most xp and then combine them through discovery. I usually take some time calculating/preparing what will I craft and what components I need. The only downside is that f.e. in armorsmithing you need a lot of fine crafting materials for master and rare insignias. I usually run around doing quests and collect/salvage ingredients and when the time comes to craft I go to farm some crafting materials I lack, f.e. small scale. This is the only part i dislike, because the drops seem quite rare.

And from the lack of space I hope you are doing "deposit collectable" thingy?

Angthoron

Arcane
Got a TON of small claws out of 2 stories just now, this is with the Vigil in mid-levels. Hint for those still there: if you're with Vigil, farm the Story for EASY claws, exit/redo, or just keep farming endless waves. Damn.

Or is that exploiting.

Edit: Mind you, "a ton" is like a dozen, and I didn't actually farm. Just was doing story with GF.

aron searle

Arcane
So can someone summarise this for me.

What I enjoyed about GW1 was the focus on skill based and not item based (you could buy top items from merchants for pennies).

Does GW1 stick to this, or has it gone full retard with weapons of doom that can only be farmed by Chinese bots.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
So can someone summarise this for me.

What I enjoyed about GW1 was the focus on skill based and not item based (you could buy top items from merchants for pennies).

Does GW1 stick to this, or has it gone full retard with weapons of doom that can only be farmed by Chinese bots.
you need gear to better define your build. i.e. if I go mass power with my pistol engineer, I'm gonna have a bad time.
gear isn't too hard to acquire, but you're not buying it for pennies. buying from merchants is probably the most expensive way to get it.
you won't really need tip-top gear unless you go with a crazy char build or you want to min-max your char for whatever reason.

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
It's the same in that aspect, max stats are capped and easy to get when you reach max level and all you need really pay for are runes etc. for your build.

It's the same in that aspect, max stats are capped and easy to get when you reach max level and all you need really pay for are runes etc. for your build.

It's the exact opposite in the meantime though. You get charged out the ass for equipment and for miscellaneous stuff like the trait books. Even god damned map travel costs money now, it may seem deceptively small but it adds up fast. I'm way behind on cash for the 2nd level trait book and while I have a full set of crafted weapons/armor there are large lapses in equipment levels between the individual tiers.

Maybe once the trade network is up I can retract this statement a bit after selling overpriced shit to losers though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom