Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

POLL: Old "Brofist" or the new "Button Parade"?

Which is better, the new system or the old one?

• Total voters

Mozgoëbstvo

Learned
This new system is like allowing a little bit of General Discussion to ooze back into the rest of the forums as opposed to being caged in its own sub-section.

Good or bad? Depends on how much you value the Purity of the Codex. :M

How much does CODEX value its own purity? That would be an interesting poll. Keep it simple with 3-4 options to see how many CARE about some standards, how many don't give a shit, and in between. Everyone should be forced to vote. That would be cool to see, to mathematically quantify the trolls and defenders of the faith. I'd like to see at least a 30% of pro-purity in this hypothetical poll.

Oriebam

Formerly M4AE1BR0-something
sounds like we're back to the old system soon

hopefully not much will be broken on the way back

Mozgoëbstvo

Learned
Then why not as well limit the amount of post per day for specific users? Like, you know, racists, shitposters, catholics, and everyone who the supervisors don't like.
Be careful what you wish for, poor fuckers. I've seen how this policy turns forums into shitholes everyone flee from.

It's much different. Blocking those buttons would force certain people to actually use words instead of a click. Actually forcing people to speak up instead of hiding lazily behind a button that could mean anything.
Plus, Sturgeon's law, man... we don't need 90%+ of all posts by everyone marked butthurt/prestigious/lulz by everyone else and their dog.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Actually I always wanted and suggested a system where people could get rated by their peers. It could really help people getting their act up, and also judge other posters.

Of course the current implementation is clumsy. I think DU will eventually dump it, but it's an interesting experiment none the less.

TOME

Cuckmaster General
I don't have anything against rating posts, but there should be something limiting negative ratings user can give, seeing as every other post is rated either butthurt or retarded.

asper

Arcane
Project: Eternity
The icons are ugly, annoying, meaningless, and clutter the forum.

I would be happy with just an option to disable them, though.

Ion Prothon II

Liturgist
Then why not as well limit the amount of post per day for specific users? Like, you know, racists, shitposters, catholics, and everyone who the supervisors don't like.
Be careful what you wish for, poor fuckers. I've seen how this policy turns forums into shitholes everyone flee from.

It's much different. Blocking those buttons would force certain people to actually use words instead of a click. Actually forcing people to speak up instead of hiding lazily behind a button that could mean anything.
Plus, Sturgeon's law, man... we don't need 90%+ of all posts by everyone marked butthurt/prestigious/lulz by everyone else and their dog.

Everything or nothing. Limits for little things are a roadway to limits for big things, because why the fuck no. Limits for big things bad.

Father Walker

Potato Ranger
I get the feeling that the brofist system was better. I liked the older system of showing who brofists what, that's for sure. If we really need more options, then perhaps replace current system with the ability to brofist or anti-brofist/retardo/prosper posts or something like that.

Repressed Homosexual
Actually I always wanted and suggested a system where people could get rated by their peers. It could really help people getting their act up, and also judge other posters.

Of course the current implementation is clumsy. I think DU will eventually dump it, but it's an interesting experiment none the less.

One man's trash is another man's treasure, and as we can see here with the rampant abuse, human pettiness has no limits.

People for example could massively censor or just link something they don't like to something disgracious, without any interest in partaking to the discussion. The whole jrpg forum could become a series of hidden posts, for example.

Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
I'm sure that as a n00b, my opinion will be weighed heavily (fresh perspective and all) - I ended up voting for only brofist, but I'm a bit bit ambivalent. A straight agree/disagree/brofist could be useful. I think someone made the point elsewhere that they would cut down on the one-word, argument free posts ("Wrong", "Nope").

It seems like buttons other than just brofist could be good, just not so many. Especially if a bunch of them make trolling super easy (butthurt, retard, racist) . Trolling is an art form, one easily cheapened if you can just spam retard buttons. Do we want our children to grow up is a world where only hipsters post at forums with hand-crafted trolling? (as a sidenote, my fisting privileges are gone, even in news. Is it because meh's retard spree left me with as many retards as fists? or if its just a new policy for <1 year members?)

Also, if the codex was adding brofist buttons, why wasn't one of them "brofinger"?

Repressed Homosexual
This is what I can't stand on places like Slashdot. Unless you correspond exactly to the stereotype of the typical libertarian, paranoid uber PC, atheist, Linux loving, leftist geek in his late forties, you have essentially no right to a voice. It produces a place where only one opinion is allowed, and one that becomes more and more a parody of itself as a result.

That would correspond to a nihilistic, vulgar, atheist, software pirate, virginal, emoticon spamming Pole in his mid twenties who only likes DRM free, top down turn-based RPGs, step based first person dungeon crawlers, and wargames. Did I forget anything?

Cassidy

Arcane
This is what I can't stand on places like Slashdot. Unless you correspond exactly to the stereotype of the typical libertarian, paranoid uber PC, atheist, Linux loving, leftist geek in his late forties, you have essentially no right to a voice. It produces a place where only one opinion is allowed, and one that becomes more and more a parody of itself as a result.

That would correspond to a nihilistic, vulgar, atheist, software pirate, virginal, emoticon spamming Pole in his mid twenties who only likes DRM free, top down turn-based RPGs, step based first person dungeon crawlers, and wargames. Did I forget anything?

You forgot you claimed Fallout 3 is overbashed here.

I still say go back to having no rating system at all and just let one's words be judged as they are.

Very unlikely to happen, but seconded.

Repressed Homosexual
Thirded.

And why couldn't such subjects be discussed? It would preclude such things from even happening. Only one theme would have a right to be, like only Ingsoc's narrative existed.

Erzherzog

Magister
So we're moving to a system of less discussion, just reply by click! Fuck that. The great thing about the Codex is all the tl;dr posts.

And hiding posts that a few dislike? Guess what, some of the boldest things said are highly disagreed with. Hiding implies those things are not worth reading.

And I thought the whole spirit of the Codex was that we had tremendous freedom to express ourselves, but there was always that undercurrent that a poster was expected to be able to justify his beliefs and opinions. I remember hearing multiple people state "On the Codex we let idiots give themselves enough rope to hang them." If someones an idiot, let them show it. Drowning out the dissenting opinion is idiotic on a forum known to be the dissenting opinion on many topics.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
So we're moving to a system of less discussion, just reply by click!

i must admit i fail to see how making the "+1" post into an icon constitutes "moving to a system of less discussion", but then again i'm one of those ignorant fucks who believes the codex won't be turned upside down by adding four buttons

crufty

Arcane
Dir Sirs,

Given the :decline: in intelligent readership of this still prestigious magazine, it appears the brofist parade is not popamole enough.

in honor of the elder scrolls horde, the button parade could be streamlined to :bro: (encompassing agree and lulz), :butthurt: (encompassing disagree), and :retarded:.

a tl;dr tag would be most welcome.

EG

Nullified

i must admit i fail to see how making the "+1" post into an icon constitutes "moving to a system of less discussion", but then again i'm one of those ignorant fucks who believe the codex won't be turned upside down by adding four buttons

If it is to be these buttons that'll destroy us, are we not already destroyed? :obviously:

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
Seriously though, it was irritating enough already that for whatever reason, certain forums did not allow me the ability to brofist. Am I in some sort of a strange usergroup or something? I've noticed a subtle but consistent difference in my privs for a long time now.

My brofisting ability is also randomised.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Brofist is enough. If you agree with someone but don't have anything to add, it's just quick method of letting them know.

If you disagree, you should have to be able to articulate why.

And if their post is really so retarded that you don't want to spend the time to write a response ignoring is even better than a stupid emoticon.

Erzherzog

Magister

i must admit i fail to see how making the "+1" post into an icon constitutes "moving to a system of less discussion", but then again i'm one of those ignorant fucks who believe the codex won't be turned upside down by adding four buttons

You act as if every post agreeing or disagreeing was some sort of phrase or emote which was not the case. If you got annoyed by a poster that simply mashed parrot emotes everywhere, we already have the ignore system. I don't ever recall being opposed to that despite never using it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom