Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Obsidian Reveals 'Project Eternity' - Kickstarter Live

quasimodo

Augur
RTwP was the first step down the slipperly slope of decline that lead to the current state of RPGs being FPP or OTS RT games.

I might buy and enjoy the game if the writings good (and it probably will be), but I will not pay anyone to create the clusterfuck of RTwP combat.
I dunno. RTwP has never really managed to be done well because there are so few games that have actually been built with it in mind from the ground up. Baldur's Gate and all other Infinity Engine games were always a mishmash of D&D rules held together by a lot of compromises and changes. I think you could have much more success with RTwP by actually designing interactions, skills, timing, etc. with the temporal element in mind, rather than abstracting "turns" as X seconds or simultaneous rounds or whatever.

I played a lot of RTwP games over the years, IE games, NWN2, After*games, BE5, and they all would have been vastly better with TB combat. I really don't think Obsidian is finally going to figure out how to keep RTwP from sucking.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Congratulations!

You are now an official backer of Project Eternity. Time to tell the world about it!

'nuff said. God speed, Obsidian. God speed.

Tigranes

Arcane
And meanwhilst, Larian is already developing Divinity: Original Sin, a turn-based isometric RPG with a much smaller team and without Kickstarter, and nary a fuck being given.

2EeCv.gif

Because Larian's past offerings were nowhere as fun as Obsidian's for me? Div 1 and 2 were OK, and Original Sin doesn't sound that compelling so far, either.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
Not even one day in and already ~ 150k.

.... the fuck? o_O

Pretty incredible proof how many of us are really out there and how goddamn hungry for incline we all are. We're not even pledging against anything but hope right now...on the CHANCE for a glorious game. Heh. And justifiably so.

Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
Fantasy = shit. Even gay W4K is more interesting.

So many talks 'bout independence from publishers... and so little real creativity as a result.

"We shall make our own Dragon Age! With blackjack and whores."

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
The funniest part is that none of the haters have any idea what they're upset about...they've just been stewing in their own fetid shit for so long they know nothing else.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
I want a cloth map but do I $140 want it? That's a big jump from $65 for the box/manual.

Also need to consider the Codex drive.

This will be the 12th kickstarter project I’ve backed this year. I cannot remember the last year when I purchased 12 games. Of course only FTL is coming out this year but still.

Self-Ejected

Brayko

Self-Ejected
Est. Delivery: Apr 2014

Another optimistic speedy development process?

I don't care if it's RTwP as long as they get the rest right (story, skill checks, equipment, dialogue etc).

Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands
Pledged $65 + $15 thanks to the newly returned Jew Gold the banks stole from me when I took out a loan. Obsidian may get more of my compo if there are some good stretch goals, which are inevitable as its now got $175k + pledges.

pipka

Savant
Meh. It will have: bugs everywhere, shitty and messy combat, mediocre gameplay overall, fascinating story and memorable dialog/NPCs. Are you even trying to outdo yourselves, Obsidian?

FeelTheRads

Arcane
The funniest part is that none of the haters have any idea what they're upset about...they've just been stewing in their own fetid shit for so long they know nothing else.

HURR DERP HERP SOMEBODY DISAGREES WITH ME MEANS HES HATER.

The funnies part is actually you posting that after saying

We're not even pledging against anything but hope right now...

Yeah, you definitely know what you're excited about.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Actually I do, dumbfuck. I just stated that. But ooh, man. I felt the rads on THAT one, eh?

Project: Eternity
:takemymoney: Dears Sirs, please find enclosed a certain amount of genuine J00G0ldZ with which I endeavor to support your most interesting "Project Eternity". I expect nothing less than perfection upon completion. :obviously:

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
What the fuck, all the big names in that video except Tim Cain look like they got hit by a truck. Did they start undergoing a lichification process or something? Anyway, looks like I will miss the 20 dollar early bird since i have no money right now so I will wait until I see some video footage of the actual game instead of some grotesque looking nerds yapping before pledging.

Phelot

Arcane
Bleh.

Not terribly excited for this. It'll be interesting to check out as more screenshots and stuff show up, but the character design looks pretty lackluster, like something out of a standard MMO. We'll see.

Feargus: Our goal is to use voice over as flavor and not as something that exists for every written word in the game.

That is nice to hear, however.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Actually I do, dumbfuck. I just stated that. But ooh, man. I felt the rads on THAT one, eh?

Myeah, too bad it's dwindled by those assholes who don't agree with you, no?

I know, I know.. in before 100 posts and comics full of butthurt about how you don't actually care.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
What's all this talk about dwarves and elves? Do we even know if this will have "fantasy races"? It could be a humans-only fantasy world.

Angthoron

Arcane
Holy shit. Take my money, Obsidian!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom