Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Project Eternity Kickstarter Update #2: Stretch Goals Revealed

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
"This concept art (which is from Eterntiy according to Sawyer) also shows signs that it is not tratditional fantasy. At least having firearms is not traditional in my book:"

So, you don't consider FR traditional fantasy? L0LZ
FR does not have wide spread fire arms use (they would not be shown in any FR specific concept art for example unlike PE) due to Mystra fuckery (and Lantan does not count).

Dexter

Arcane
Tonight I literally dreamt of Dragon age. So, I woke up with a smile and had a good laugh until I went to KS page and looked at the stretch goals. How did an interesting world with plane travel that was promised by MCA turned into this?

3 Races is OK with me as long they are not elves and dwarfs, though chillaxing sounds pretty awesome. PST also had few races, but they were thiefling and githzerai. I don't care for size as the long as the content is there, but now I am even afraid to ask what it is.

Would I have donated if I knew what they are making? Yes, but I would not have been so butthurt. It's like they tried to please everyone and ended pleasing no one, because crowd funded projects don't really need input from supporters...
Why do you assume there won't be any planes? Just because it's fantasy?

Sawyer already said that this is concept art for the project, so it'll include guns: http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/59974-project-eternity-known-information/
project-eternstlr2.png

And he was blabbing about the "Godhammer Citadel" being called such because some saint dude was killed by a bomb:
http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/109480-je-sawyer-on-project-eternity-social-round-up.html
I can't talk a lot about the details of the world yet, but let me explain this one a little more. [Godhammer Citadel] is a bit of a misnomer. It wasn't a god who was killed, but a (possibly?) possessed saint. And the saint wasn't "hammered". He was killed with a bomb. Like... yeah, a really big bomb.
Okay, that's all until I have time to do a proper update.
Presumably from a plane?

There's no doubt that they handled this badly over the weekend, but don't just presume shit. It isn't licensed D&D or Star Wars, they could literally do anything.

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
2.0 million, Player House! Get your own house in the game that you can customize, store equipment in, and where your companions hang out, or, as the elves say, "chillax".
Heh. It kind of seems to me that where Fargo was aiming straight at the Codex crowd, Obsidian is casting their net wider to encapsulate...disgruntled...BioWare fans? Of sorts. Could be very effective indeed, for an audience that considers having a house to be the epitome of RPG gameplay.
The furry market. That's the honeypot.

Have cute animal/human hybrids you can romance, and the money will pour in.

Dexter

Arcane
Btw. regarding the "souls" magic system or whatever, apparently he liked Dark Souls: http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/60115-armour-and-weapon-designs-a-plea/page__st__20
So that might have something to do with it...

I think Dark Souls handles it in a neat way. Most of those swords are too heavy to swing effectively with one hand unless you have an extremely high strength. When you swing those swords one-handed you do it very slowly and awkwardly until you hit the strength requirement.

Executer

Phrenologist
Project: Eternity
2.0 million, Player House! Get your own house in the game that you can customize, store equipment in, and where your companions hang out, or, as the elves say, "chillax".
Heh. It kind of seems to me that where Fargo was aiming straight at the Codex crowd, Obsidian is casting their net wider to encapsulate...disgruntled...BioWare fans? Of sorts. Could be very effective indeed, for an audience that considers having a house to be the epitome of RPG gameplay.
The furry market. That's the honeypot.

Have cute animal/human hybrids you can romance, and the money will pour in.

Half pony humanoids comming in as a new/original race?

Cassidy

Arcane
SO basically.. this could be possibly a Steampunk....setting?

Or Dragon Age with guns.

Seriously though, player housing? I guess Obsidian got their priorities straight towards another kind of primary target audience with this one, a more mass-marketable target audience than that of Wasteland 2.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
Goddammit enough is enough. Please ban Volourn until he agrees to start using the fucking quote function.

Stabwound

Arcane
The thing about stretch goals like those is that they don't really mean anything. What is an extra race when you don't even know what races are in the game? It's meaningless. x + 1 doesn't mean shit if you don't know what x is. It probably means absolutely nothing considering the game is so far away from release, too.

They could offer tangible goals like a mod kit, or something.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer

Doesn't Cain say pretty explicitly in the launch video that it's nice to be working on more straight fantasy, which he's never done? I wouldn't expect anything Arcanumesque.

skuphundaku

Economic devastator, Mk. 11
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.

Doesn't Cain say pretty explicitly in the launch video that it's nice to be working on more straight fantasy, which he's never done? I wouldn't expect anything Arcanumesque.
Yup, I remember him saying that too, so this happy outlook that the setting is not going to be a pretty straight-forward tolkienesque setting are rather unfounded.

Mozgoëbstvo

Learned
1.1 million $ = base goal
2.2 million $ = last stretch goal

They're the only ones who can dare ask such shit and actually pull it off... what's to say, props to them... Let's just hope all the cash will make them work faster!

:greatjob:

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2

He said that "I'm looking forward to doing my first pure fantasy RPG".

You could do a lot with a "pure fantasy" setting that has magic and schnitzels, but I get the feeling that at this state Obsidian is a bit risk aversive (for a good reason). Hopefully this one will be successful enough to open avenues for more "fantastic" settings in the future.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
I honestly can't think of any fantasy setting that has higher technology than Renaissance but doesn't take it to the silly extremes of Steampunk.
If that's what they're aiming for it could be quite unique.

ironyuri

"originally dragon age was supposed to have completely original races. Later they changed that to "traditional races with a twist"."

Proof, please.

uhhh the emails they sent out to registered fans about the new IP circa 2005?

Outlander

Custom Tags Are For Fags.
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I know we've been starving for traditional RPGs for a very long time, but when finally Obsidian steps up to it, they don't take full advantage of this opportunity. Very badly handled and thought out kickstarter campaign.

I don't see anything wrong with people withdrawing their pledges, it's only normal when Obsidian announced those Bioware-pandering shit stretch goals.

When you haven't eaten for a long time, some people will be ready to even lick a turd, but some people won't, no matter what. I guess it's pretty easy to tell who's who in this thread.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Let's see the stretch goals: new platforms, more companions, more factions, bigger world. In an RPG? Oh the horror!!! This is Bioware pandering...wait, it is not!

Someone enlighten me why are these additions are bad in an RPG.

Also, 1,4 million reached! :greatjob:

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
I'm actually quite surprised by the rushed stretch goals. Regardless of whether they expected to hit the funding goal in 1 day or 1 week, Obsidian should have seen enough kickstarters by now to understand that stretch goals area an important part of a successful project, and they should have prepared stretch goals with professional presentation up to 5 million at least before even launching the kickstarter.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
You could do a lot with a "pure fantasy" setting that has magic and schnitzels, but I get the feeling that at this state Obsidian is a bit risk aversive (for a good reason). Hopefully this one will be successful enough to open avenues for more "fantastic" settings in the future.
The Obsidian hope train never stops!

suejak

Arbiter
Patron
Village Idiot
It goes to show really that targeting the hardcore rpg market is an exercise in self-flagellation.
Yeah, seriously. I'm unapologetically excited to give people of the caliber and track record of JE Sawyer, MCA, and Tim Cain free reign to make whatever the hell they want. The wording of the stretch goals was definitely questionable -- felt a bit like buying DLC or something -- but these guys are my game design rockstars, and even under traditional publisher pressure they've managed to make the games that interest me, over and over again.

I don't see any reason to piss all over the best chance I've seen in years to get the new Best Game I've Ever Played.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
The Obsidian hope train never stops!

It isn't as bad as you sometimes think it is. It all works out. Don't worry. I say that to myself every morning. It all works out in the end. Put your trust in MCA, and move forward with faith and confidence in the future. Chris will not forsake us. He will not forsake us. If we will put our trust in Him, if we will pray to Him, if we will live worthy of His blessings, He will hear our prayers.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom