Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

FTL: Faster Than Light - Advanced Edition

Black

Arcane
My Kirk kicked the bucket immediately after maxing out the ship captaining skill (whatever it's called), those fucking space spiders couldn't kill the newbies with no skills, noo of course not.

Son, I've got 99 problems but spiders ain't one.
5G78X.png

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Liking the game quite a lot, but don't know about it's staying power compared to other "roguelike inspired" games, I doubt I will be playing it for as long as Binding of Isaac. Combat becomes something of a chore later game, or maybe I'm just doing it wrong. Still, going with a boarding crew of two mantis and a boarding drone is pretty damn fun. Are there any bigger teleport rooms though? I find a boarding crew of two to be quite insufficient when they have upgraded medical rooms.
Some unlockable ships have size 4 teleporters. Still, you can teleport over more dudes if you upgrade your teleporter. At max, the cooldown is half of unupgraded, so you can still extract first team as quick as before.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
It's funny how some of the blue options don't seem to do anything. I had one that gave me the option to run away (engines) but it did nothing, despite my having maxxed out engines (and the enemy only had like, level 4 or 5.) There was also another one which amounted to me taunting an enemy I could have just attacked anyways.

Anyways, just had the easiest run ever, thanks to the FTL equivalent of finding a wish at level 1: I got the weapon pre igniter as a drop off the very first encounter I visited. Once I got a halberd beam too, game was a cakewalk. Though a glaive would have been even better, glaive beams are stupidly overpowered when you can actually fire them.

Didn't unlock anything though. Accidentally killed that stupid mantis captain yet again. I think I had the upgrades I needed to unlock that thing this time too. And of course, none of the other events showed up for me, so I still only have 4 ships to choose from after beating the game twice on normal. :rage:

Lottie

Educated
Damn dude, I used to like you despite all the weaboo cancer... :(
The Dex is a constant source of disappointment.

Renegen

Arcane
Just unlocked the stealth cruiser....
:rage:
That thing doesn't start with shields!
Been playing with that ship a lot since it's the only one of my 4 that I haven't unlocked the 2nd version. First I only play easy, it's fucking hard as it is. Next, I avoid drones so that means no Engi space. I like the Zoltans and Rockmen. Then I rush for cloak lvl 3. From that point on, luck will determine how you continue. I've just reached the final boss (didn't even fight him because he reached fed ship, oops) and I did it by upgrading my mini beam into a better beam, getting a missile launcher and getting a few drones. I only got shields in like the 4th sector and upgraded them to 2 shields only. I kited around the last sector getting my 3rd shield. Your beginner setup will have a hard time piercing 2 shields and will be hopeless against 3 so you need a weapon asap. Ideally you'd want 2 small drones circling the enemy popping their shield or maybe even upgraded ions or missile spams, anything to get the shields down. After that, the beam weapons do short work.

Damned Registrations

Ugh, just played through again (was like 3 seconds from victory but died, fucking final sector had only 1 repair spot so I had to fight all 3 phases of the boss with no repairs) and I FINALLY found the fucking quest for the rockman ship, only it was the last node on sector 7 so it told me I had no time and had to go stop the rebels. Fucking game man. Gives me triple mark 2 burst lasers and nothing to use them on. ARGH.

Ashery

Prophet
FTL.png

Fuck yea.

Funny that the winning ship actually scored below Codexia I. Not quite sure what #3 is, though, although there are only two possibilities...heh. (Yea, I didn't start using the numbered names until IV.)

Final load out:

Weapons: Burst mk2, Heavy mk1, Anti-bio beam, and the shitty starting missile launcher.
Drones: Anti-ship mk2, hull repair (I had defense mk2 stored, but I figured I'd keep hull repairs around for emergency repairs as I really needed the anti-ship to break shields)
Notable upgrades: Max shields, 4-5 engine, max stealth, 5 weapon, and that wonderful, wonderful sensor upgrade.

Who needs boarding parties when you have precise anti-personal attacks :love:

(I actually lost my boarding party around sector 6 due to a ship that had fucking blast doors.)

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
At last, Victory!

FTLGame%202012-09-19%2000-49-39-94.jpg

This run started very poorly. Lost a crew member and had to make do with 2 crew for the first 3 sectors. But that Burst Laser III changed everything.

pipka

Savant
Finally beat the boss with Engi Torus A. Fucking Torus! P. lucky run; got burst, heavy and hull lasers; all I did was shooting the shield room not bothering with anything else.
By the by: more than 4 dots (40% evade with crew upgrades) on Engines is a waste. Someone mentioned it earlier and I confirm - you won't have enough energy for it.

All of you guys who disses the Torus are fags.

Damned Registrations

Unlocked some ships yesterday. Stealth ship is much better than people make it out to be, but the slug ship is awful. Stealth ship got me to the boss on my second attempt (once I knew what I was doing.) But that slug ship is just... ugh.

JrK

Prophet
I had a Torus with full ions blasting on shields. After one volley the shields were down forever, aim two ions at other stuff like weapons, keep one on shields. I had free reign to teleport and use drones.

Damned Registrations

God I hate dying because the map is fucked up and you have to backtrack through like 4 nodes to get to the exit because it's only connected through one other stupid fuckass planet on the other side of the map.

odrzut

Arcane
God I hate dying because the map is fucked up and you have to backtrack through like 4 nodes to get to the exit because it's only connected through one other stupid fuckass planet on the other side of the map.

Happened to me once. I'vebeen in 4th sector. I've assumed both path will lead to exit, and the upper one didn't. And I had great ship, with maxed shields and 2 burst lasers 2. Died trying to go thorught the rebel fleet to the exit ...

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Finally beat the boss. Lots of lasers and the starter missile together with cloak, maxxed shields and engine did the trick. Was close tho. Third phase got me within two hull points, mostly because there were no repair areas left after the second phase. That surprise right at the end almost did me in.

Damned Registrations

Finally unlocked the mantis ship. Is the alternate version any good? They A type is incredibly shit, you're fucked by anything with a medbay, super shields, drones or auto scouts. And even against everything else you're still pretty shitty at actually boarding ships, never mind actual combat.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Fuck me.

I got a pretty badass Torus to the flagship but messed up. I lost two Mantises trying to board and kill some crew members -- as was a strategy someone mentioned. Well this blew up in my face as they got swarmed and uberfucked rather quickly. Next phase I took a lot of damage because of the robot drones raining down on my ship. I beat the second tier of the boss with some struggling and came out with 10-HP. So I had to leave the flaghship to get repairs and then shoot across the map to catch back up.

Once-a-fucking-gain it got "too close" to the rebel base and I lost. It didn't touch the rebels, it just got too close. Fucking dammit.

Anyway, this was pretty amusing:

RK47

Patron
Dude went to repair life support instead of getting his pilot to fix the engine. He's practically doing nothing in the front cockpit for 80% of the vid. :lol:
Very Good game.
If i wanted improvements they have to be:
1. Time acceleration - early game is pretty boring with the lack of options. Make it faster like 15%/33%/50% - doesn't hurt anyone.
2. Point buy system for starter crew / equipment. Let people experiment more, it wouldn't hurt the game.

Grimlorn

Arcane
I just wish there was a better shopping system. I can't tell you the number of times where I get screwed by not getting anything decent at the store.
Like I'll get drone control and then never come across any drones in stores, or I'll get a bunch of beam weapons but no lasers in the store that you need to take down shields. Bugs the hell out of me.

RK47

Patron
Yeah I feel that too Grimlorn.
If they let us spend 10 scraps to reroll store inventory - I'd accept that. Right now, I just abandoned a game where I reached Final Stand with nothing but the starter missile launcher and burst laser II cause I couldn't get any weapons from the 6+ stores I visited.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Finally unlocked the mantis ship. Is the alternate version any good? They A type is incredibly shit, you're fucked by anything with a medbay, super shields, drones or auto scouts. And even against everything else you're still pretty shitty at actually boarding ships, never mind actual combat.
My experience with the mantis ship is thus: 5 tries to make it out of sector one alive. On the 6th, I killed the flagship. Teleportation is pretty shit when it's all you got, but as soon as you a decent weapon or good defense, it is king.

tindrli

Arcane
Yeah I feel that too Grimlorn.
If they let us spend 10 scraps to reroll store inventory - I'd accept that. Right now, I just abandoned a game where I reached Final Stand with nothing but the starter missile launcher and burst laser II cause I couldn't get any weapons from the 6+ stores I visited.

or maybe some off the shelve system where items would be like x % more expensive...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom