Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity [BETA RELEASED, GO TO THE NEW THREAD]

Vorhees

Novice
"At Obsidian, we have always tried to choose the engine and toolset most suited to the game we are making. When making a sequel to an existing game, we use the engine from the original game so that we don’t waste time recreating the inner workings and gameplay behavior in a new engine before we can even start developing new content. When creating a new game from scratch, we evaluate the options available to us and choose the one we think fits best. In the case of Project Eternity, we feel the best fit is Unity.

Unity enables small teams to be very productive. Unity has an amazing development environment that makes it very easy for programmers, artists and designers to work together to build great games. In a very short time we have already made great progress prototyping some of the core functionality for Project Eternity.

We do intend to use some of our in-house tools in conjunction with Unity where it makes sense, such as in the case of creating conversations and editing some of the RPG-specific game data. Unity makes it very easy to extend not only the game engine but the development tools as well, and we feel integrating some of the tools that have already proven effective on previous Obsidian games will get us off to a great start on the development of Project Eternity.

Unity also supports a wide range of target platforms. We knew that a likely request from the community was going to be support for Mac and Linux versions of the game, and we wanted to make sure we were in the best position to do that. While we could have ported Onyx, our internal engine technology, to those platforms, the time and effort required to do so would reduce the budget we have to make the game and result in less of the awesome gameplay and content our fans desire. Mac and Linux will still require time and effort from us to test, maintain and support but Unity gets us most of the way there. In fact, our experience with Unity so far has made us confident enough that we have decided to remove Linux support from the stretch goals and just commit to providing a Linux version right here and now! Of course, we can’t take something away from our stretch goals without putting something else in its place, so what is that going to be?

The $2.2 million stretch goal will still include a new Region, a new Faction, a new Companion and all the hours of additional gameplay, quests, NPCs and items that go along with those things. But we’ve also got something new coming to this stretch goal, and it’s big enough that it’s deserving of its own update to talk about it! So tune in this coming Monday, September 24th where we will reveal our new stretch goals, unveil a fun new tracker for them, and announce our schedule of guest stars for the week!

Thank you for supporting Obsidian and Project Eternity!

Chris Jones

CTO, Obsidian"

Hmmm.... Knee jerk reaction is "FFS BLATANT INTENT TO PORT TO IOS/ANDROID WITH THAT CRAPPY CARTOONY PIECE OF SHIT ENGINE"..... then a semblance of logic and reason settles in and you realise that it has built in Linux support, is being used by wasteland 2 which Chris Avellone also has a role in meaning some assistance and be thrown back and forth with any issues between development teams, and that the games art/graphics style has fuck all to do with the engine..... *takes a deep breath*, world hasnt ended yet...*double checks* nope still ok.... :P

Grimlorn

Arcane
I know he didn't mean anything malicious, but I still loved it when he said, "I still love making RPGs," right after answering the question about Ray and Greg retiring.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I know the article...you've linked to it before. :/
No, the article I linked to before was "Deconstructing Pointy Eared White Supremacists" from Ars Marginal. This was the follow-up companion piece from her blog.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
Ha, ok. Right on. I was...err...lots of people, many of whom trolled her into never-ending arguments about "canon" and the like. Hehe.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
doesn't sound very convincing to me, I mean it's like comparing a BMW with a shit car isn't it?
if you compare one expensive fancy engine like cry engine and this unity one...

Not really. Both IneXile and Obsidian are now both using Unity. They can share resources and tools among them.

Unity was the better choice for Obsidian to use.

Nigro

Educated
doesn't sound very convincing to me, I mean it's like comparing a BMW with a shit car isn't it?

Not really. Both IneXile and Obsidian are now both using Unity. They can share resources and tools among them.

I know it's the better choice, but I'm just curious to how those game engines work, you can do way more stuff with one than with the other, right?

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
It depends what you mean by shitty. A mustang is a lot cheaper than an M5, and shittier in many ways, but if all you want to do is go fast in a straight line, it's just as good.

kaizoku

Arcane
I made an Eternity Wiki: http://eternitywiki.com/ - Obsidian was kind enough to grant it the official Eternity wiki status.
cool site bro

suggestion: add a Gameplay section with information on gameplay (RTwP, iso), party size, number of available companions, formations

On another subject, are there any rumors on what the new stretch goals may be?
I really hope they don't waste money on multi player support.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
It seems like they will get the 2.2 million for 5 races (plus sub races), seven classes and eight companions. If anything I would like them to keep adding companions and content. Also it would be nice if the classes had sub classes like the BG2 kits.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas

People keep saying this like it's guaranteed to happen. Is there any indication that it is? I though Fergus and Fargo had a falling out about the way Interplay/Black Isle ended.

kaizoku

Arcane
What's the status on multi-player or co-op?

I hope they spend my money on don't include that.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Oh yeah, I don't believe anyone's been paying any attention to this particular comment from Urquhart:
@Jarmo We generally do a little bit of both now. The reason is that if we want you to be able to choose to goto area A, B or C in any order then we have to scale them base upon the order you choose. Area D on the other hand could be for later in the game and if you go there - no more Jarmo.
Level scaling: Confirmed! :bounce:

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/60235-urgency-please-have-it/page__st__60#entry1202400

I don't see why we need the game to force that urgency. Can't we just do it ourselves? If you think it's stupid that one can take 30 days to save that child from that burning building then.... don't do it. Go immedietly and fulfill that quest. And let the rest of us do what we want.

Asking a game to arbitrarily impose urgency on the player - because you think the player is too dumb to react to an emergency the way you think he should - goes counter to the notion of Role playing. It's also a form of metagaming. Does your quest log have ESP? Does it have the clairvoyance needed to tell you precisely how long you have to save the elf maiden from rapists before they decide to kill her?

I think BG2 did it best. You were allowed to impose your own Urgency with regards to saving Imoen - Or- you were allowed to take your time on it. Could you imagine how lame and freedom-constricting BG2 would have been if you were forced to save imoen within a set time limit otherwise she died?

Time limits for quests are superfluous because you can larp them and if you don't you should not be punished:retarded:

evdk

Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
So? BG series had level scaling also. Level scaling in itself is not the problem, but the means by which you achieve it can be. If you go full Bethesda and level scale your entire game in a retarded fashion to boot then it is rage worthy. If you have low and high level zones, that might scale to the player level in some way but can have their own minimal level (which is what Faergus seems to be saying there) it can be alright, especially if you choose a level scaling method that is not completely demented.

Gozma

Arcane
Not much you can say to people that don't want anything in the game to happen unless the PC throws an "allow shit to happen" switch

Maybe, "It sucks that we like close to the same genre of game so that designers feel that they can target both of us at the same time"

Or maybe you just need to remind people that there are humans on Earth that got a lot of fun out of worrying about the timer in FO or the spirit eater curse* in MotB.

*High craving anyway, if you did the low craving suppress exploits it is just tedium

evdk

Patron
Probably. I decided to rant anyway.

EDIT: This guy might be the genuinely most misguided person I've met over there. Or I am getting trolled by a pro, I honestly can't tell.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom