Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Borderlands 2 is a MASSIVE potato

aris

Arcane
Question is though, if the game is bought legally, how can they possibly make money by selling keys for 20$?

Tycn

Savant
I imagine it's Russia and their game pricing we have to thank for that. That and all the sites undercutting each other.

Angthoron

Arcane
Apparently Zero speaks in haiku a lot:

CiwCG.jpg

Multi-headed Cow

I'm surprised you're still on socket 775 MHC, seeing as you're quite fond of the new shit.
Despite buying videogames like an idiot I upgrade my computer infrequently.

By the way, do you know what the season pass entails? I'm tempted to get it, if it can save me money from buying the DLCS one by one.
4 "Campaign" DLCs. Original Borderlands had 4 pieces of quest DLC added, that's what the season pass will include. If they add any additional classes or hat DLC it won't include it.
It would save you money on day one purchases, the season pass is $30 and each DLC would be priced $10 at launch.
Best price at the moment would be from Greenman Gaming where it's the regular $30 price, but there's a 20% off code that works on it too. GMG20-AWDF9-Q1PEY

And regarding the PhsyX, I didn't realize it could run on CPU as well. I thought it was locked down to be an Nvidia exclusive thing. Cool beans that it isn't 'cause it's nice and flashy.

Doesn't Valve go after key-selling sites like that and disable the keys users bought, because usually they are stolen etc.? Just wondering if you could end up with a game that doesn't work in a few weeks.
Depends on the publisher of the games, really. I've bought a fair number of gray market keys and haven't had horrible things happen. Yet. But there have been a few games where supposedly Valve yanked 'em.

Gord

Arcane
And regarding the PhsyX, I didn't realize it could run on CPU as well. I thought it was locked down to be an Nvidia exclusive thing. Cool beans that it isn't 'cause it's nice and flashy.

There was a interesting article on tomshardware.de (german article) a few days ago, analyzing physics on diferent GPUs and CPUs.
Apparently more recent implementations allow for much better CPU utilization than a few years ago, up to the point that there is almost no difference between some NVidia and AMD gpus.
It seems to depend a lot on the game though, and Borderlands 2 might be one of the worse examples - they only mentioned it in a short sentence though, as it did come out a little bit to late for the article.

aris

Arcane
4 "Campaign" DLCs. Original Borderlands had 4 pieces of quest DLC added, that's what the season pass will include. If they add any additional classes or hat DLC it won't include it.
It would save you money on day one purchases, the season pass is $30 and each DLC would be priced $10 at launch.
Best price at the moment would be from Greenman Gaming where it's the regular $30 price, but there's a 20% off code that works on it too. GMG20-AWDF9-Q1PEY

Thanks for the info! If it only saves me 10$, not sure if I want to get it, as I'm not sure yet if I want all of the DLCs.

By the way, bro tip: I found out that the most effective way, by far, to kill crystalisks, is to run over to them and punch their legs. It one-shots the crystals of the and chips away huge chunks their health. They generally go down in three punches with this technique with my character, and if they spawn right next to you, you can easily punch them to death before they can even begin hitting you.

Multi-headed Cow

Couple guns I've picked up.

http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/918989867500662746/16D62194E8018CF13D3CF59E2A404865BC5B85D2/ < Shoots a ball of bouncing, splashing acid. Bit questionably useful but it's kinda cool. Mostly good against Hyperion robots.

http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/918989867500661551/04892221F2E0062513E8A2E1385C44C6F125873A/ < Rapid fire sniper rifle that shoots slag. Really excellent, just picked it up tonight.

Also got a Moxxi branded fire shotgun but didn't snap a picture. It's been useful against bandits in an arena match though.

One would need the nvidia control panel, I see. Ati radeon users usually lack such a control panel and physx sure didn't install it on my rig.

If you have Radeon your question doesn't even make sense. Radeon doesn't allow GPU PhysX, which means it always goes straight to CPU, so you don't need to set anything. Or at least it's how it should work. Didn't you try just enabling PhysX in game?

Multi-headed Cow

More guns!

http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/918989867503438864/3F02E08A41F105CE0286835B937E477E71314409/ < Pistol from Tiny Tina which I used quite a bit against robots. Starting to be a bit underleveled by this point but it still does alright for me.

http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/918989867503435415/1BCEEE1A0688D817E4588B226B1360F4802A33F5/ < Moxxi shotgun which was great in the bandit arena. Since the bandits are almost all flesh-class targets without shields fire works great against 'em.

Monocause

Arcane
I played some more, just finished the first main quest in Sanctuary (Firehawk). The game does get better as you progress, definitely.

Things I like compared to the first one:

1) after the first couple of areas which are boring combat does get high-tempo and satisfying often indeed.
2) almost all weapon types seem useful now to any character, with some having natural preference due to skills/class mods. Weapon variety is much better and some weapons are just plain fun to use; also I haven't found anything clearly overpowered like the anarchy SMG's from the first game.
3) writing is much better and following the plot is a nice bonus to the shootan'
4) lootplay is improved as mentioned by other posters
5) all the classes are more varied, as are the class skills. I imagine the game to be a blast on coop (can't coop as I'm playing a yarr'd copy, will probably buy it as the price drops)
6) sniping finally seems a decent option. I can take out most enemies with one shot to the head, badasses need 3-4. In the first game this playstyle was boring and when you played coop others got most of the kills. Still, lag probably affects sniping adversely.
7) quests are more fun to do and often involve some kind of a backstory, or have something otherwise interesting or unique about them

Things that are still mucked up:

1) I'm lvl 12 now and still haven't found an assault rifle worth using compared to other weapon types, except for a mission weapon given during a certain quest (was kinda disappointed that I couldn't keep it). Same with repeaters.
2) the beginning of the game needs improvement. The first couple of hours are boring indeed while they should ideally pull you in the most. Still, better that way than the other way around
3) the music feels worse than in the first game. I like the main theme, but that's about it
4) there are some bugs. For instance, if you talk to Tannis over the counter instead of triggering her cutscene you'll never finish a certain quest. Forced me to restart a character as if I haven't I'd have no option to receive any quests from Zed or Tannis until a patch came.
5) I miss an option to respec your badass tokens. If they added such an option it could serve as an additional way of tailoring the bonuses to your playstyle, even considering the randomisation of improvement options. Also, badass bonuses shouldn't be a toggle - either you keep them in, or you keep them out.
6) Some information about weapons and skills are missing. For instance, I bought a sniper rifle due to its great damage to find out that it has a lacklustre scope - the first game told you what was the zoom factor of each scoped weapon. Zero's got a 'counterattack' skill which gives you a chance to cause 50% more melee damage after being hit - but doesn't inform you what exactly the chance is and thus you don't know whether it's worth it to spend points. There's more of things like these.

Playing as Zero now, sniping all the time (100 more snipe kills and I'll get the final rank in the sniping achievement).

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
My main gripe with the game is that the sidequests (which tend to be better than the main quests imo, both in terms of being fun to play and the rewards) pretty much all require backtracking to areas you *just* finished clearing out. Combined with a serious lack in the frequency of fast travel stations (I often just quit and reload now when I get to the end of a quest or area) and having parts of areas blocked off until you have a sidequest for them makes the exploration rather annoying. I've wasted so much time trying to get to places I thought were just well hidden that were actually blocked off for no real reason until you come back with a quest. Likewise, there are large areas that have nothing but piles of enemies and shitty loot until you get the quest that takes place there.

Been playing as the Siren. Phaselock is just too damned good. I wanted to like Zero but enemies tend to spam attacks when you go invis anyways so it's not as useful as it'd seem. And although I like sniping enemies that are slow, trying to snipe spazzy fuckers that run like cheetahs and leap 60 foot gaps on a whim is annoying as fuck.

Another minor gripe is that a lot of the shit is bugged or just badly implemented. A lot of enemy deaths don't count as kills, like when enemies kill each other or die from a barrel, which can totally fuck you if you're trying to get a second wind or on a quest to kill 10 foozles in an area with only 10 foozles.

abija

Prophet
Zero gets really good but he speaks way too much when you stealth. I know haiku and stuff but throwing a line out of 3-4 possible every 20 seconds or so gets repetitive fast.

Damned Registrations

Not all of them. Besides, in 2 places no more enemies spawn there (one of them being the arena which you can't even fucking leave). So I've had 3 quests fucked this way that I can think of, and I've been skipping half the quests to begin with.

Another annoying thing: Putting a voice recording in a location close to where you'll trigger a transmission from someone else- cutting off the recording. Which there seems to be no way to replay. Cute.

dumuh

Educated
Question is though, if the game is bought legally, how can they possibly make money by selling keys for 20$?
Because it takes literally 10 seconds of effort to buy a key on Steam and then email it to someone else. Even if they're just making $1 on each sale they're still raking in a considerable amount of money. Plus I'd imagine Russian Steam also has a buy 4 Pack (AKA buy 3, get 1 free), so for every 3 keys sold for $1 net they rake in $20 of pure profit.

Gerrard

Arcane
We're going to have the characters from the first game play major parts in the story.
Except we'll change their voice actors, because it's not like their work was one of the few good things about the first game.

:rpgcodex:

aris

Arcane
Are the voice actors changed? Seemed to sound the same to me. Nonetheless, they didn't talk much in the original in the first place. Only the occasional one liner, like in borderlands 2 with your character.

Damned Registrations

For the main characters yeah, but Scooter/Tannis/Etc. all had a ton of lines. Though they seem the same to me. I honestly didn't notice anything about the voice actors, but I haven't played it since beating the original game, never played the DLC shit.

Are the voice actors changed? Seemed to sound the same to me. Nonetheless, they didn't talk much in the original in the first place. Only the occasional one liner, like in borderlands 2 with your character.

Well I met Lilith yesterday and I could swear her voice is exactly the same.

Gerrard

Arcane
You get to listen to them a lot over those 80 hours though. I am almost certain Roland's is changed. Mordecai sounds NOTHING like in the original. Never played Lilith so I don't know about her, might be the same.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom