Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From out of nowhere, new enhanced versions(!) of Thief 2 and System Shock 2

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
According to this TTLG thread, somebody surreptitiously uploaded a Thief 2 v1.19 patch and System Shock 2 v2.4 patch to a French forum yesterday. They are legit! I suspect that somebody (perhaps ex-LG personnel?) has been messing around with the Dark Engine source code, which was recovered 3 years ago.

I've no idea yet how well existing fan patches that have been created over the years will play with these new versions, which have fixed many long-standing problems with the Dark Engine. But I'm sure that the Thief and System Shock fan communities will soon have everything organized. I will keep the Codex updated when they do.

Thanks to Icewater for bringing this to my attention.

asper

Arcane
Project: Eternity
- Added windowed mode
- Added single display mode option - no resolution change between menus and game
- Added ingame support for all common resolutions, including widescreen
- Added support for 32-bit color
- Textures can now be automatically promoted to 32-bit, improving quality and effectively eliminating the palette limit
- Added UI framerate cap option to avoid GPU fan spinning up in UI
- Added DDS/PNG image support
- Added full 24/32-bit TGA/BMP image support
- Increased the maximum number of frames allowed in animated textures from 20 to 99, and increased the allowable filename length for animated textures (before the underscore) to support more than 7
- Animated texture rate can now be specified via a material file for that texture
- Fixed a bug where Transparency property didn't (correctly) apply on objects that contain transparent polys

Nice!

Revenant

Great news, maybe we will eventually get the GPL release of the source codes. Playing Thief 2 in Linux natively would be really nice. Of course, ATM all this lays in hands of some unaware lawyers who can botch the deal faster than one can blink. Anyway, if the source code goes GPL, The Dark Mod would go completely obsolete :M

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
- Replaced video player lib with an FFMpeg based one to play cutscenes. LGVid.ax or other codecs are no longer required
:love:
edit: lol
- DromEd will no longer stop working after 03:14:07 on Tuesday, 19 January 2038

Ion Prothon II

Liturgist
starr.jpg

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
This completely replaces all ddfix functions then?

Cosmo

Arcane
Project: Eternity
This completely replaces all ddfix functions then?

From what i gathered on the french forums, i think it does. With some tweaks it should work on Thief1/gold.
Even AI possibilities have been increased apparently...

potatojohn

Arcane
Hopefully this will show EA that there is interest in SS3 and they will make a modern sequel, as they are wont to do.

Astral Rag

Arcane
Awesome.

edit:

I installed the Thief 2 patch. So far it seems to work great but the movies don't work any more.

I installed Thief2 according to the methods described in Infinitron's Thief thread.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Hopefully this will show EA that there is interest in SS3 and they will make a modern sequel, as they are wont to do.

Rumor has it that what became Dead Space was originally going to be SS3.

octavius

Arcane
Patron

If they do I bet they will turn it into a corridor shooter with behind-the-ass camera.

EDIT:

Rumor has it that what became Dead Space was originally going to be SS3.

Judging from the description at Mobygames, it looks like I was right...

Repressed Homosexual
What is the last remaining classic 3D PC game that is only barely playable on modern systems? Grim Fandango?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom