Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Swords and Sorcery – Underworld Gold Released

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Can I assume once we deal with the Catacombs, we then can walk around in the world and travel to other cities?

Charles-cgr

OlderBytes
Developer
Project: Eternity
SuicideBunny I can't seem to reproduce that bug. Can you tell me what version you are using? If it is v2.0.2, did you install the full build or the patch?
Jaesun There are other cities but accessible only by travelling below. There's no overworld in this one. I'm surprised you thought that. Maybe because of the sequel discussion thread?

golgepapaz

Augur
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Really loved the demo, but I can't justify spending $20 on it (half a day's earning for me..)
What poor butthole of a country do you live in - and how can I move there so that I can live like a King?
Turkey ,which you could have surmised from the location tag. Although the minimum(slave) wage is 390$, after tax and wellfare deductions, it's not a cheap country
to live in. Definitely more expensive than eastern european and balkan countries if you live in the big cities, On par with spain and italy I guess.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
2.0 from the plimus link.. where exactly do i get the patch? oh wait, nm, registered for the patchlist and poked around the parent directory there.. umm.. is it just me or are those files including the full builds directly accessible by everyone? might wanna fix that if that's the case...

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Jaesun There are other cities but accessible only by travelling below. There's no overworld in this one. I'm surprised you thought that. Maybe because of the sequel discussion thread?

I just saw the mention of other cities in the Manual and was wondering when we would see them. Though this being called UNDERWORLD, that make sense we will find them.... while travelling in the UNDERWORLD. ;)

Thanks.

Charles-cgr

OlderBytes
Developer
2.0 from the plimus link.. where exactly do i get the patch? oh wait, nm, registered for the patchlist and poked around the parent directory there.. umm.. is it just me or are those files including the full builds directly accessible by everyone? might wanna fix that if that's the case...

No, Plimus makes it customer only to access those.

About that bug... Is that a one-time thing that went away or have you had that often / all the time? Do you remember what you did prior to it? Or perhaps a specific encounter? I still can't get it to show and it's starting to drive me nuts :eek:

Jaesun No problem :)

edit SuicideBunny Actually there's no patch there, just the updated full build. The patch is vailable on the site at http://www.olderbytes.com/swords-and-sorcery-underworld-bug-fix-update.html

The Matrix Comparison is about a very small market that is happy to pay the big bucks (relatively) for a small niche product. Though i hardly call $20 a kings ransom...

It refers to matrix games, the wargame publisher.

I say relatively, because while the prices are steep in todays world, they are positively cheap compared to how much those wargames cost in the 80's and 90's...like CRPG's really...

As for Mr Turkey, I was making simlilar money when I first started working back in the day. The main difference between he and I was that computers cost a lot more, and games cost...hmm..after calculating the difference with currencies, I would say between $60 and $80 each. And that in 'old money', long since overtaken by inflation. If that was taken into account, $200 or more would be the equivalent today...maybe we would get big bound manuals, maps and coins again...?

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Combat in town? Game sounds interesting but that is lame.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Combat in town? Game sounds interesting but that is lame.

They are just random encounters. That's not really the focus of the game. It's a very good game volo. Give the demo a try.

AND IT HAS DWARVES! My Dwarf Priest BLOBERT kicks ass <3.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
It's lame. Plain and simple. I had to deal with that bull in ancient games but no more. Too bad too as it seems to have a lot I like including dwarves.. but, no, they did dun fukked it up. Random conbvat in town just because is lame. Combat in town because it is being attacked is a-okay.

Charles-cgr

OlderBytes
Developer
If it's about having a safe place to rest the inn is encounter-free (outside of rooms). Having an entire safe town would mean making the catacombs a level 1 area and all three towns would have to follow that... Is that a principle?

It's lame. Plain and simple.

Oh.

zer

Novice
Played around with SaS: UG.

1) Interface is clunky. Maybe someone get "oldskull filling" from that, but not me At least use second mice button and drag and drop feature would be nice. For example : transfer number of item (i.e. potions) between party members like a pain in the ass
2) U need to do something with auto combat. Nice feature, but mages need to cast spells in this mode.
3) Number of times i've run in endless combat situation: all my party members lie unconscious, as foe (apparition) don't attack but just wait. I'm can't stop combat, can't load or exit game. It's very annoyng

And yes, price it ~10$ and i definitely buy this game.

ps sorry my crippled english

Mortmal

Arcane
Now it has been revamped it really remembers me might and magic 2 or bard's tale, although improved with automap features and a better interface. So not its not lame, encounters been surprisingly fun . Now about the pricing,i am sure you are reluctant to sell something your worked on for 5 years or so for less 20$ but even if you are fed up with grimrock comparison, development started more than 10 years ago and its only 13.9 euros with sometimes 50% sales... I used to pay much more for games, and hardware, for the original might of magics and wizardries we payed probably the equivalent of 50 euros or so , but nowadays is an era of digital distribution, ipad games for a few cents, and very goodto exceptional indies are rarely above 10 euros, ive seen some vogels games for a few euros now.
Theres also very little coverage, send some copies to bloggers, gaming sites, theres quite a few playing retro games, present your games on forums , greenlight and gog is a step int he right direction.Btw did you send a copy to canard pc ?

Charles-cgr

OlderBytes
Developer
zer I'm finishing an update with a new trading system and new store mechanics (and numerous smaller improvements and fixes). Mages casting spells during auto-combat seems like the wrong choice because it is meant to be used against very overpowered mobs and using spell components against them would bring little advantage. I did however make the rogue use assassinate if he is in stealth (in the next update). I fixed the looping combat as well (against apparitions and another mob it happened with).

Mortmal I sent copies to just about everyone. Including Canard PC who, despite having told me they'd review it when done, isn't answering. I even had journalists ask me for a copy then ask why there isn't a help system like in Guild Wars 2 and other such comments. My initial impression that I'd be pretty much on my own and would have to rely on advertising or go bust is pretty much confirming itself. The fact that there isn't much coverage is exactly the reason I priced it a bit higher than those who have the whole planet raving about them (thanks to Notch's tweet btw, not because of any superior marketing tactics). Also they decided on pricing at the lmast minute, having already benefited from said exposure. And Grimrock's market isn't my market. It isn't 3D, it isn't animated, it's not grimdark... Take away 95% of Grimrock players. I even posted in their forums with a moderator's permission and absolutely no one answered.

So, very small market (digital distribution has nothing to do with market size or even exposure, just that ou don't spend $5-10 on printing), no exposure (outside of Codex, Watch and a few others) and those that are interested in the game tell me I should price it as if I had all of the above. It doesn't add up. I'll try telling those same journalists about the update, the quirks that were fixzed and the new trading / stores system just in case those were the problem some of them had with it but chances are they're not going to go beyond the Grimrock comparison.

zer

Novice
Mages casting spells during auto-combat seems like the wrong choice because it is meant to be used against very overpowered mobs
ok I get the point. And my Another complain about repeatedly selflocking doors which quite irritating

blah...blah...blah...Grimrock
So far I liked SaS a bit more that Grimrock. Truth to say I did never really love EOBish things .

I'm finishing an update with a new trading system and new store mechanics
Nice. Are you going to update a demo?

Charles-cgr

OlderBytes
Developer
Mages casting spells during auto-combat seems like the wrong choice because it is meant to be used against very overpowered mobs
ok I get the point. And my Another complain about repeatedly selflocking doors which quite irritating
Door relock when you rest and leave the map (the idea is that someone has had time to lock them again). I didn't change that. I admit I kind of overlooked that one.

blah...blah...blah...Grimrock
So far I liked SaS a bit more that Grimrock. Truth to say I did never really love EOBish things .
My whole point is that I am NOT competing with these guys but people keep sticking them to my face. I agree with Blah Blah Blah Grimrock. I bought the game myself and enjoyed it for the few hours I was able to put in. it.

I'm finishing an update with a new trading system and new store mechanics
Nice. Are you going to update a demo

Both full and demo are uploading right now. Unfortunately it takes several hours because I have terrible outgoing bandwidth.

Charles-cgr

OlderBytes
Developer
Fast... Actually I was getting a bit nervous about the time it was taking. Good then, people weren't getting impatient :)

Gakkone

pretty cool guy eh
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Good stuff. Not patching yet, I think I'll want to finish this playthrough with the same version, but I like the changes to the interface.

How long is the game approximately? I just killed the necromancer and started heading down the River of Fire.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom