Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Project Eternity Kickstarter Update #13: Mega Dungeon, Crafting and Enchanting

This multilayered dungeon - a good marketing idea and will probably prove popular but there's a big risk of it not turning out well. They are now obligated to make it a certain length rather than building it to whatever feels right, which as you can guess will risk making it far too long for its own good. A bit like those deep roads but potentially worse.

Dyrwood is such an awkward name. It doesn't flow properly. You keep instinctively wanting to pronounce it as "Drywood". That brings me to another thing that bothers me on that map of theirs - they named that body of water Pearlwood Gulf. I want a damn good explanation for why a body of water is named after wood.

I've never really liked enchanting or crafting in games. I never use them. Just like potions, I hate potions

meh

Educated
Just add in
tomb_of_horrors.jpg
instead

Gold

Augur
Patron
Dead State Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
Agreed, I loathe crafting/repair/enchanting systems. (Powerful, magical items have to have lore and setting reasons on their own.) But a massive (non-precedual generated) dungeon is one of the staples of old-school RPGs.

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
The goal at 2.3 is nice, the various play-modes to choose from. Big, optional dungeon is great. But just as often they miss the plank with their goals, like player house and imo crafting. And now I heard about loot tables ? cooldowns ? (source?)

If they just put a stretch goal at $3mil to remove all that stuff again, instead of.. what.. what is going to happen.

Mortmal

Arcane
Crafting system always been in the tabletop rpg, in the original d&d you could craft after acquiring your stronghold and followers, going to adventure for rare components, crafting an be a fantastic implementation, as long its not done MMO style .
As for the mega dungeon, thats clearly needed in this era of corridor games , cant remember the last time i played in a non linear dungeon.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Never been a crafter, don't give a shit.

Big dungeon is good, thanks for that.

More factions is what I am most into... people seem to think "bonus faction" is a lame stretch goal but for me nothing is further from the truth.

Cosmo

Arcane
Project: Eternity
A crafting system like in Cain'sToEE (3.5 ed) would be great : it depended on your character abilities, you had to sacrifice combat and magic feats to achieve results, znd it was the only way to obtain enchanted versions of rare weapons (whips, chained weapons, certain polearms, etc).

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Never liked crafting and alchemy. Just can't be bothered to give a fuck. To me it's munchkinism and I dislike it. Let me quest, fight, explore and traverse deadly dungeons for phat loot. Not put it together myself. It lessens the atmosphere of a game and is just there for number crunchers and aspies. I want to be an adventurer, not a fucking smith or potion brewer.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I resent that. I'm probably one of the number-crunchers you talk about I detest crafting :rpgcodex:

Country_Gravy

Arcane
Patron
Wasteland 2
All these stretch goals feel like stuff that was going to be in the game anyway and they are just throwing them out there to try to generate funds. With W2 I felt that they never expected to get as much money as they did and the stuff they were adding were really things that they would have liked to put in the game but figured that they were not going to be able to do. With Obsidian's KS I feel that they knew that they were going to get a bunch of money so they had a rough design of the game and just made some of the unannounced stuff stretch goals to create hype.

I might be totally wrong here, but this Kickstarter just feels different from W2.

I still pledged to the $20 tier because that might be a great deal for what this game could possibly turn out to be.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
All these stretch goals feel like stuff that was going to be in the game anyway and they are just throwing them out there to try to generate funds. With W2 I felt that they never expected to get as much money as they did and the stuff they were adding were really things that they would have liked to put in the game but figured that they were not going to be able to do. With Obsidian's KS I feel that they knew that they were going to get a bunch of money so they had a rough design of the game and just made some of the unannounced stuff stretch goals to create hype.

Not that I feel like defending Obs in the light of cooldowns and level scaling, but what exactly is wrong with this?

If the made a rough design and said - we need 1.5 for this, 1.6 for this and so on, I don't really see a problem.

Zeronet

Learned
Dyrwood is such an awkward name. It doesn't flow properly. You keep instinctively wanting to pronounce it as "Drywood".

I instinctively pronounce it as Direwood, though it's apparently pronounced Durwood and it's a family name that means 'Keeper of the Deer'. Hooray for needlessly detailed research on a minor matter.

Josh Sawyer did mention that the stretch goals are not organised on a cost basis, but organised in order to generate addition funds for the general expansion of the game content.

(on features in stretch goals) They require work to implement, but the $ of the goal is not meant to indicate $ spent on that feature.

We have learned that a small interior with containers thrown in it (e.g. Novac hotel room, Pres. Suite) is too minimal when it comes to auto-organization functionality. And again, KS is a fundraising platform, not a means of making a literal budget.

Durwood sounds even worse. In before DraQ yelling derpwood from the back of the class

So if it is "keeper of the deer" then does that mean one half means deer and the other half means keeper? Meaning wood doesn't mean wood at all? What about Pearlwood gulf? Is that Pearl keeper? or Pearl deer?

What a mess

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Maybe the 2.5 million stretch goal will be to remove crafting and enchanting. That's something i could get behind.
Nah, the 2.5 mil. stretch goal should be QA testing.

Also, :incline: @ Mega Dungeon. I'd like to see a dungeon on par with Watcher's Keep. I had loads of fun with that one.

Country_Gravy

Arcane
Patron
Wasteland 2

Not that I feel like defending Obs in the light of cooldowns and level scaling, but what exactly is wrong with this?

If the made a rough design and said - we need 1.5 for this, 1.6 for this and so on, I don't really see a problem.

I don't think that they had the content tied to money at all. They knew what was going to be in the game already and they are just releasing more information about the game as they get more moneys. If it works for them, then good for them, it just feels less genuine than the Wasteland 2 KS.

The one piece of content that can be tied directly to the donors is the MegaAwesomeSuper Dungeon. The more donors, the bigger the dungeon. Other than that, I think all or at least most of this stuff was going to be in it as long as they met their minimum goal, which they probably figured they were going to blow out of the water anyway. I bet their original design was banking on getting 2.5 mil or so

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I doubt that's the case. The scope is pretty big now, much more than what they could have done with a mil, and if that was what they got, they would have been royally fucked. Even so, it's more or less the same than what I had suggested; scaling down their scope (because they got less than expected) is essentially the same thing as scaling it up because they get more.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
So, why isn't crafting a standard in RPG's at this point?
Really, what's the point of having characters with certain stats like intelligence if they can't use it to build something.
Guns with no crafting? Get fucked.

Unwanted

Chet Manly

Unwanted
I fucking love the harumph guy!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom