Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dota 2 Discussion (~Boston Majors & Road to TI7~)

What modes should we play?

• Total voters

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
The discussion around the most recent patch has been hilarious. You have a lot of retards who don't know shit shitting their afterbirth out into public.

Treant, buffed! Lycan, he can't jungle now! hahahaha

Hmm that did not quite work out the way I intended it to.
Kvdqn.jpg

MapMan

Arcane
I got some invites (I dont even know how many, cant be arsed to check). If there are still people who don't have it, then I can give the invites away. Don't message me, post in this thread.

meh

Educated
Yeah, me too. If anyone wants, just PM me or write here, I'd be glad to share.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Awww yeah. Been winning a lot lately. Last game was pretty fun. Got chen and pushed their towers fast, then went lol-mode and got Mjölnir + Shadow blade + Crystalis.

Castanova

Prophet
Awww yeah. Been winning a lot lately. Last game was pretty fun. Got chen and pushed their towers fast, then went lol-mode and got Mjölnir + Shadow blade + Crystalis.

I was in a game with a Chen the other day. He got some creeps and around level 6, he and two other guys started pushing the easy lane. After they took down the T2, they came to the hard lane and we pushed all the way until we raxed the hard lane only 11 minutes in. Shortest game I've ever played. I feel like this kind of thing is possible in most pub games if you actually bother to work together. Of course, it helped that they had a Pudge and that I dominated mid so bad that he got barely any XP.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Started playing again (hadn't been on since the internationals) doesn't feel like much has changed though despite all the patch notes. Meepo is kill fodder of course, nobody is using Magnus (and I tried him but he just feels wrong somehow, like his ult doesn't have the range it says it does) and most of the OP heroes are still pretty OP on an individual level. Tried out PL too, but even that massive agi buff doesn't make him useful at all. Item changes really minor too.

Rpgsaurus Rex

130k players online last weekend, not bad. I wonder about these numbers when it goes f2p. What are LoL's numbers?

Castanova

Prophet
Started playing again (hadn't been on since the internationals) doesn't feel like much has changed though despite all the patch notes. Meepo is kill fodder of course, nobody is using Magnus (and I tried him but he just feels wrong somehow, like his ult doesn't have the range it says it does) and most of the OP heroes are still pretty OP on an individual level. Tried out PL too, but even that massive agi buff doesn't make him useful at all. Item changes really minor too.

PL + KotL in the easy lane is like the easiest win ever, and you don't even have to bother buying a Soul Ring. I can't think of another hard carry + support combo where I have an easier time.

Damned Registrations

CK + any kind of stun tends to shit on almost anything in lane. The cooldown is just so short, and being able to suck people in with rift when they go to harass you is amazing. I'm actually quite surprised he didn't get nerfed at all. Though people don't seem to think of him as a carry for some reason, even though he has a crit, and his illusions are the best steroid skill in the game. He scales incredibly well.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Same. Valve seems to think sending me a bunch of additional invites will lure me away from LoL. Anyone wants the invite, lemme know and I'll toss it their way.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Same. Valve seems to think sending me a bunch of additional invites will lure me away from LoL. Anyone wants the invite, lemme know and I'll toss it their way.

Sure, throw it at me. I already gave up mine but could use more for my friends.

Well, my problem is my friends suck at dota and playing with them means losing... more losing, oh well.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Well, my problem is my friends suck at dota and playing with them means losing... more losing, oh well.

The only winning move is not to play.

I know that you dislike this game but for me it has one big advantage over other games: you can jump in, play a match or two (as many as you want) at any time whenever you fell like it. No need for teams, servers, preparation. No continuity, if you feel like taking a break there is no problem with that. I did a few times. Its the perfect time filler.

Yes, players are mostly horrible and fail as normal human beings, but then it feels even more satisfying to kill their heroes. ++if the get butt hurt about it too.

Game play has too much grinding but at least some skill is required.

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
No need for teams, servers, preparation. No continuity, if you feel like taking a break there is no problem with that. I did a few times. Its the perfect time filler.

You can have that in any real RTS with a matchmaking system, too.

I understand were you are coming from though. In RTS it is pretty much yourself vs. the rest of the world, even if you are playing 2on2+. Plus, you generally need to know what you're doing. On the other side of the spectrum there are shooters, where you can get lost in a team, but those are not strategy isometric with button pressing obviously. Moba falls somewhere in the middle between the two; you don't really need to know what you're doing and there's also a team, kinda.

The biggest problem I have with moba games is that they're way too reptitive. Every round slugs out the same, whatever the heros. It gets boring very very quickly.

Damned Registrations

The repetitiveness thing is actually pretty valid. It's a damned shame that DotA became so popular instead of one of the better maps like Advent of the Zenith, which had far more interesting dynamics and more distinct hero abilities.

Rpgsaurus Rex

If you're playing to improve and analyze mistakes / watch your own replays etc. every game is fun even if you go the same hero in pubs for 200 games (or 1000+ see Admiral Bulldog and Pirate).

Not to mention it's an entirely different game at beyond-pub level.

It's about the mindset, I guess. If you're playing mindlessly I guess it gets boring, eventually, just like chess must get boring if you just move the pieces where it feels right and hope to win every time you play it.

Happily enough for the "let's just have fun" crowd (and for the more serious crowd that also likes to relax sometimes) there will be a map editor, hopefully leading to an avalanche of custom maps like back in the good old SC/WC3 days.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom