Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Elemental: Fallen Enchantress Beta

Misconnected

Savant
He evidently sees no problem in being a complete asshole to his employees. My only issue with SD is that it evidently is run as Wardell's private playground.

knightley

Educated
Nah, I think as a game company, the foremost concern is whether they make good games. As far as how he behaves, well he is not selling it.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
He's been a complete asshole to his customers before too. He made some retarded rage post on some forums about how he owns a company so nobody has the right to criticize him.

20 Eyes

Liturgist
From the depths of my email:

Dear Stardock customer,

My name is Brad Wardell. I'm the President & CEO of Stardock. Two years ago, you bought a game from us called Elemental: War of Magic. We had great hopes and ambitions for that game but, in the end, it just wasn't a very good game.

Elemental was an expensive game. You probably paid $50 or more for it. And you trusted us to deliver to you a good game. $50 is a lot of money and companies have a moral obligation to deliver what they say they're going to deliver and frankly, Stardock failed to deliver the game we said we were going to deliver.

While we did update Elemental: War of Magic (you can still download v1.4). Its design just wasn't adequate to make it into the kind of game it should be. So we decided to start over. From scratch. We made a new game called Fallen Enchantress.

So even though it's been two years, we haven't forgotten about you. This week, we released Fallen Enchantress. It is a vastly better game and, we believe, lives up to the expectations set for the original Elemental. This game is yours. Free. It's already been added to your account.

You can download and play it by going to http://download.stardock.com.

We hope you enjoy Fallen Enchantress. Please feel free to visit the Elemental forum at www.elementalgame.com if you wish to talk to me and the rest of the team. We're there and very interested in your feedback.

Thank you for being our customers and your patience.

Sincerely,

Brad Wardell
President & CEO

I think I'll give it a shot this weekend.

Mortmal

Arcane
I did and my best friend forced herself to play too, now i am back to this page http://forums.civfanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=215
Funny how incredibly addictive those mods are, while i am bored trying fallen enchantress, the streamlining and dumbing down, the lack of ambition, the fundamentally broken mechanisms, the lack of passion maybe. Oh i am a bit bitter about it, i was awaiting elemental as the new master of a magic, we are still far from it with fallen enchantress.

Monocause

Arcane
From the depths of my email:

Dear Stardock customer,

My name is Brad Wardell. I'm the President & CEO of Stardock. Two years ago, you bought a game from us called Elemental: War of Magic. We had great hopes and ambitions for that game but, in the end, it just wasn't a very good game.

Elemental was an expensive game. You probably paid $50 or more for it. And you trusted us to deliver to you a good game. $50 is a lot of money and companies have a moral obligation to deliver what they say they're going to deliver and frankly, Stardock failed to deliver the game we said we were going to deliver.

While we did update Elemental: War of Magic (you can still download v1.4). Its design just wasn't adequate to make it into the kind of game it should be. So we decided to start over. From scratch. We made a new game called Fallen Enchantress.

So even though it's been two years, we haven't forgotten about you. This week, we released Fallen Enchantress. It is a vastly better game and, we believe, lives up to the expectations set for the original Elemental. This game is yours. Free. It's already been added to your account.

You can download and play it by going to http://download.stardock.com.

We hope you enjoy Fallen Enchantress. Please feel free to visit the Elemental forum at www.elementalgame.com if you wish to talk to me and the rest of the team. We're there and very interested in your feedback.

Thank you for being our customers and your patience.

Sincerely,

Brad Wardell
President & CEO

I think I'll give it a shot this weekend.

This is actually really nice.

Misconnected

Savant
Nah, I think as a game company, the foremost concern is whether they make good games. As far as how he behaves, well he is not selling it.

Thing is, he kind of is selling it. SD is Wardell's and his alone.

Still, he's not dependent on SD so boycotting is actually kind of failtastic. SD is just about the best publisher around from a consumer perspective, and it's hardly its employees fault that their boss is a bag of dicks. So uhm.. I hereby eat my former words on the topic.

KoolNoodles

Arcane
That bullshit email he sent is just that: bullshit. The one person in his life that he probably listens to at all probably put a gun to his head making him write it. Hell, he probably didn't even write it. That's an "oh shit damage control" email, not sincere in the least. Look at everything else he's done and said for a better view of the man. Also, there's a difference between a "feminist getting upset about bear grhylls man's world" and an employee rightfully quitting, and then suing her former employer for being a creepy insufferable sexist douchebag, who then tried to blame the complete failure of Elemental on her.

i gave it a try and didn't feel it a total letdown like elemental was. actually i sort of enjoyed my first game.
problem is i don't plan to have another.
why recruiting the maker of fall from heaven if you don't let him make another fall from heaven? in ffh2 each race is most of the time a new and different game by itself, races in fallen enchantress are just reskinned humans with a bonus or two.

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
I think the problem with Elemental, hiring ffh guy and the whole Stardock is that the Stardock's CEO is at the same time the head designer of the game. There's no 'democracy', so to speak, anything he wants - goes, even if it's stupid; after all, no one would dare to argue with his boss, right? This way Kael. who might have made the game better, had no real power to change anything, and it shows.
Of course, it's only a hypothesis, but based on how Wardell treats his employees (see: that girl scandal), I'm pretty sure that's what it looks like. Shame, maybe if he dropped designing (which isn't his forte) and focused on being a CEO, Stardock would make more involving games.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I think that one of the things that hurt Elemental was hiring Prosper to do character models.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
You know, an artistic work needs a one person who would have final word on stuff, otherwise it's a shit as OS games.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom