Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Editorial RPG Codex Editorial: Games Journalism Scandal

Misconnected

Savant
Saying this is a step in the right direction.

And if that promise is both meant and at least attempted kept by the outlets, over time it probably will have some effect. It's a a change to a culture that is counter to the games-media-person culture. At least based on anecdotal evidence, the ones that thrive in the existing culture will start leaving for places more to their liking and they won't be replaced by people like themselves.

But there's still a couple of pretty fucking big things missing from VG247's ethical guidelines. One is the promise to be proactive in reporting on supposed journalists and critics that fail to adhere to the same minimum standard, and the other is the promise to join a trade organisation that monitors the ethical guidelines and violations of them within VG247's industry.

For outlets, those two missing promises are the really damned huge difference between journalism and whatever it is VG247 is evidently content to be doing.

Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
The VG247 rules are a good start, but there is one glaring omission: it doesn't touch the journalist to PR flack revolving door. Might not be much they can do about it, but the lure of a more lucrative job in PR could very easily influence a journalists criticism (well, I don't want to be too harsh...).

Also WTF w/the over 50 gift policy? They'll disclose it? How about they won't take gifts, period. There's a reason many large companies (not just journalism outlets) have policies against accepting gifts - studies have shown that even something as small as a gifted can of coke will influence decision making.

grotsnik

Arcane
One is the promise to be proactive in reporting on supposed journalists and critics that fail to adhere to the same minimum standard

In the comments, Dave Cook (yup, the exact same one, now making noise about transparency) says in response to a comment about seeing more actual reporting on the industry, 'I think anyone can safely say that we’re starting to expand our bespoke and investigative content considerably. News is still our crux, but we’re growing our content rapidly. Watch this space.' We'll see. The rules may not be airtight, but they've already caused some angry defensive bristling from at least one fellow journalist.

Some of those rules suggested in VG247's Doritosgate piece are plain daft. We're heading into 'extreme paranoia' territory now. That's all.

I look forward to VG247 marching out of the next event I'm at when lunch is served, heading down to BHS for a ham sandwich.

Because, if you're good at your job, then you have nothing to be guilty about. Pat's line effectively suggests that all games journos *can* be bought. I'd suggest anyone in this industry who thinks that's the case is in the wrong job.

I'd also like to point out here that there are A LOT of good people working in games PR who do nothing but a good job.

As usual, we have a VG247 editorial rallying against something they're one of the biggest purveyors of.

And people applaud!

No, completely unworkable. Even for a site the size of VG247. Unworkable and needless.

Everyone will be watching VG247 like a hawk now to see if they keep to these daft rules, no doubt.

Close working relationships are an *essential* part of this job.

I've been for lunch paid for by publishers. I've also been to lunch with publishers paid for by my employer.

Such lunches have resulted in zero direct coverage. They're just about maintaining or building good relations.

If I meet up for a drink with you in Bury, John, am I to turn down the offer if you buy me a pint?

Or should I label every article I ever write on Zee-3 with an acknowledgement that you purchased said pint for me?

No. Credit me with some intelligence, and also get rid of this notion that PRs/publishers are evil.

They're people. Relationships with them is essential. Pat's rules are utterly daft, and he won't keep to them.

Gotta bet we'll be seeing more of this 'hairshirt' line of argument.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Those posts literally make me sick to my stomach. What, game journalism is above the rules that apply to those petty, ignorant, easily corruptible "real" journalists?

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
:salute: to VG24/7. Glad to at least see ONE site step up to the plate of at least some basis of credibility.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
All that to probably deliver a great stonewall and perhaps say that that woman should apologize... let's see what comes next.

I look forward to VG247 marching out of the next event I'm at when lunch is served, heading down to BHS for a ham sandwich.
While he bathes on the glorious bacon of gaming journalism privileges... somebody please shoot this guy.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Rob Florence will be starting a new video game show next year. No ads/sponsors and all featured games bought and paid for by Rob/the team:

Robert Florence ‏@robertflorence
To clarify, our new video game show in 2013 will be online, free, with no ads or sponsors and we'll buy any games that are featured.

It's not a review show. And we're delighted that @1030, who made this - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmfHHLfbjNQ … and this - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxywOFwIpbc… is on board

We can probably run one series without money being an issue.​

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=497024&page=145

Someone gathered some tweets from Robert today.

Mozgoëbstvo

Learned
Ah... finally, a nice, long read, that is more about the general situation of this aspect of the gaming industry rather than yet another kickstarted game interview that says the same thing over and over.

Between this and the Star Wars VII news, I finally had a good read on the internet once again!

Yeah, their attitude towards any criticism is really childish and the only "self criticism" (and one can never put enough quotes around this expression) is cookie cutting at best.
Just looking at one of the main reflux stations of gaming, Gamespot, you can see the barest attempts at "touching" the issue with their recent "are modern games being dumbed down?" feature.
Well, the question is about 10 years late, if not a bit more.
The answers to this was, obviously "stuff is streamlined, yeah, but ultimately for the better".

But the worst thing is that any "alternative" way of thinking is either misrepresented or taken up by some guy who has other annoying views.

For example, a couple of articles from Tom McShea about the genericness and stupidity of modern military shooters.
While he does raise some valid points, he posits his stance so half-arsedly and falls into such a spiral of political correctness
that his argument just becomes less than credible.

And that's when it hits you. They need to hire foils (the "alternative guys") for their straight men (the unabashed praisers of QTE filled cover based shooters with RPG elements),
otherwise their little comedy routine doesn't work.

And this also raises another hilarious general debate... freedom! What supposedly everyone's ancestors in the Free World fought and died for at some point!
So, what good is it if you're gonna use it to freely pick your nose, scratch your balls and bleat?
Your great-great-great-grandfather would really be happy to know he died on the barricades of 1848 or something to provide you with the freedom ti write bullshit on
the internet.

:hero:

These editorials are really fine reads, and they often seem to distill the most valid thoughts of the hivemind, while leaving out the most unfunny trolling and name calling, and
retaining the scathing edge. Why don't we have them a bit more often?
They really make this a prestigious magazine.
:obviously:

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
These journalists are so entitled to their free meals, gifts, and business trips, it makes me sick to read their sorry ass comments and attempts at sarcasm.

Machocruz

Arcane
Let's be real here, we wont be satisfied until we start seeing some AAA, hyped up console games get scores lower than 8, and some deserving, niche PC exclusive games get front page coverage. I vote the next Bethesda game to be a sacrificial lamb for this purpose.

Misconnected

Savant
The rules may not be airtight, but they've already caused some angry defensive bristlingfrom at least one fellow journalist [Keith Andrew, "
Editor at PocketGamer.biz, and general freelance monkey. Will give good reviews for cake"]

Some of those rules suggested in VG247's Doritosgate piece are plain daft. We're heading into 'extreme paranoia' territory now. That's all.

I'm failing to come up with an argument that can justify that opinion. But I'd love to hear one.

Meanwhile, VG247's readers will no doubt be perfectly content if they just pay their own way, at events and elsewhere.

Because, if you're good at your job, then you have nothing to be guilty about. Pat's line effectively suggests that all games journos *can* be bought. I'd suggest anyone in this industry who thinks that's the case is in the wrong job.

And yours effectively suggest that game journos [sic], unlike every other human being that ever lived if all the very exhaustive science that's been done on the subject is to be trusted, don't become less critical the more friendly they are with people involved with the subject of the critique.

I'd also like to point out here that there are A LOT of good people working in games PR who do nothing but a good job.

And while that is no doubt true, the fact that you feel the need to defend these people nicely demonstrates that you are in fact not one of these mythical super-human "game journos".

As usual, we have a VG247 editorial rallying against something they're one of the biggest purveyors of.

So keep an eye of them. If you suspect they're not following through, investigate and report on it. If you think yourself a journalist, doing so is part of your job description. And hey, if they really do live up to their promises, I really couldn't give a fuck how corrupt they were in the past.

And people applaud!

Neah... What they promise is still less integrity than any old free rag I get tossed in my face whenever I exit my front door. So yeah... It's way better than what you promise, Mr. Andrew, and for that I do applaud them. But it isn't good enough.

No, completely unworkable. Even for a site the size of VG247. Unworkable and needless.

And I say you're wrong. But the thing is: neither one of us can know yet. Only time will tell. But it's nicely discomforting to know that you, an editor and self-proclaimed journalist and critic, is a pessimistic sell-out. Certainly it's a damn good reason to stay the hell away from
PocketGamer.biz and any and all freelance work you do.

Everyone will be watching VG247 like a hawk now to see if they keep to these daft rules, no doubt.

And that, my fiend, is a good thing. If you as an industry want any kind of credibility while remaining free from outside oversight, you all need to be watching each other. Just like actual journalists do.

Close working relationships are an *essential* part of this job.

No. Strictly professional working relationships is an essential part of the jobs you claim to do. Claiming you're capable of functioning as a critic or games journalist while maintaining close relationships with PR and other game industry people is every bit as extreme nonsense as claiming the Earth is is flat. How fucking self-unaware and under-educated are you?!

I've been for lunch paid for by publishers. I've also been to lunch with publishers paid for by my employer.

I guess congratulations? Whatevs. Both potentially compromise the objectivity of you and the outlet in question. Whether either actually is compromised is something neither is in any position to gauge. And that, my fiend, is why both you and the outlet should go to great lengths to avoid such situations.

Such lunches have resulted in zero direct coverage. They're just about maintaining or building good relations.

And that just makes it a hell of a lot worse. That kind of behaviour demonstrably compromises your objectivity. Or at least, in every other similar situation ever investigated, it has. But while you've kind of proved that you yourself is as human as the rest of us, I'm suuure you're right that other "game journos" really are super-human.

If I meet up for a drink with you in Bury, John, am I to turn down the offer if you buy me a pint?

Yes. If for no other reason than the man hasn't done anything to deserve suffering your company in his spare time.

Or should I label every article I ever write on Zee-3 with an acknowledgement that you purchased said pint for me?

Nobody has demanded, suggested or promised any such thing. What a journalist should do, is to avoid potential conflicts of interest - that includes the mere appearance of such - and disclose unavoidable ones.

No. Credit me with some intelligence, and also get rid of this notion that PRs/publishers are evil.

After all your bullshit? The only thing I'll credit you with is the ability to use twitter, and I'm honestly a little bit surprised you can manage that much. My damn fern comes across as having more brains than you do, you miserable git.

Interestingly, apart from the odd forum-dwelling amateur troll, nobody has suggested publishers, PR firms or anyone else is evil. At least not as it relates to the gaming media. What has been stated and restated, is that your industry must have a strictly professional relationship with theirs, because the nature of what you claim is your job is very often (but far from always) adversarial to theirs. That doesn't make you good guys, them bad guys or anything else along those lines. All it means is that it is their job to sell me anything they can, and it is your job to provide the information I need to make whatever purchasing decisions are right for me.

They're people. Relationships with them is essential. Pat's rules are utterly daft, and he won't keep to them.

When you get cosy with the people whose job it is to sell me everything they possibly can, you can't be objective about the stuff they're trying to sell me. And when you can't be objective, neither can I. So yeah, next time you get free shit tossed at you, remember who actually paid for it and try to pay me back with a bit of honesty and integrity, you fucking joke.
Pat's rules are less than the bare minimum needed for people in the line of work you both claim to be in. If you can't understand that, fucking educate yourself. If you can't accept it, stop pretending to be a journalist, critic and editor and embrace your job as the face of advertising. Again, people aren't evil or in any way bad because they try to sell me stuff. Trying to sell people stuff is a perfectly honourable profession. But it is the antithesis of journalism and criticism, and if you claim to do the latter when you're really doing the former, you are a bad guy. Not because you're trying to sell me stuff, but because whether you're aware of it or not, you're misinforming me and misleading me into spending my money against my interests.
- Yeah, I know Keith Asshole Andrew will never read this. But it deserved a reply.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
I'm willing to forgive the "-gate" suffix garbage just this once, because "Doritosgate" is so bad it's good.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Old but I want to share.
SLQJc.gif

Alex_Steel

Arcane
Patron
A bit late to the party but I finally got to read it. I read first some comments and I was quite hyped but I have to admit it, Codex hype is based on the truth.

An amazing article grotsnik! :brodex:

Gondolin

Arcane
Also late to the party, but to my credit I read all 19 pages of this thread. Excellent article grotsnik. Now take a break, chill for a bit... and update that fucking LP!!! (<- notice the use of three exclamation marks)

Yeah, Codex should have more articles like this.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I'm willing to forgive the "-gate" suffix garbage just this once, because "Doritosgate" is so bad it's good.
Perhaps "Waterdew" would be a better name for this?
No, Mtn Dew usually pays more money, so the industry decided that Doritos will take the bad name. I'm not sure if I'm joking.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom