Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Information Slow News Day: GOG.com EA Sale

Micmu

Magister
Cock Breath Extraordinaire from EA said:
We won't be doing that. Obviously they think it's the right thing to do after a certain amount of time. I just think it cheapens your intellectual property.
What cheapens your intellectual property is you raping it beyond belief until everyone hates it, you donkey raping corporate manboon.

Thane Solus

Arcane
good games, good ips, wont buy any of them, if i need them i will torrent them to death, tho i have some of them on original old skool cds.

FUCK U EA!

I "love" when Gog.com which was an interesting old school steam at first, due to greed turn into shit so fast... Still, the only good thing about them still remains: NO DRM. When they will add DRM, they can close doors and whore themselves for EA or or other corps.

FUCK U CD PROJECT!

Well that's betters, whats next?

dragonfk

Erudite
Guys, I need your help.

Do I go straight to DK2 or shoul I also buy DK1?

Pleeease halp!

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Yeah, fight for freedom. Feel the thrill of being an outlaw through your computer fighting for the greater good. That'll show the world how badass you are and that you are ready to do all it takes for your fellow man.

DK1 is better than DK2 for various reasons, but DK2 is still very good and has some nice improvements here and there. I'd say play them both in order.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Totally awesome. Lands of Lore 1 has ACTUAL MT-32 support (it actually has specific MT-32 banks that it loads up to the MT-32). You might also be interested to know this Sceptic.

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Tags: gog.com; Lands of Lore; Nox; Ultima; Ultima Underworld

* This is a referral link supporting the RPG Codex, so make sure to use it. Or else.

I'll support the Codex by purchasing something for a few bucks. I've played all the Wing Commanders, the Ultima Series, Crusader: No Remorse, Dungeon Keeper 1 and Starflight. Would Codexers suggest that I purchase Lands of Lore 1+2, Crusader: No Regret, Alpha Centauri, or Nox?

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Well Lands of Lore is MCA's favorite cRPG (well he stated so, while drunk). It seems to be basically popamole EotB engine in a new setting. It is interesting so far (Lands of Lore 1). The Music so far is good.

belated

Augur
Definitely Lands of Lore 1 and Alpha Centauri.

Got a few from this sale yesterday (Nox, Theme and more), but as usual forgot to use the codex link. Might have to get some Wing Commanders today though.

Aurelius

Educated
Lands of Lore 1 excels in the visuals and sound design (like many of Westwood's games), but compared to other mid-90's RPGs it is quite simplistic. That doesn't mean it's easy though (the Larkhon and the White Tower come to mind), and it's interesting because it's an original setting.

It's really a shame Westwood is mostly remembered for their Command and Conquer games, which were also great, but rarely does anyone remember Lands of Lore, Nox or Legend of Kyrandia.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Well, I guess I haven't made any gaming purchases in a while... how are Wing Commanders 3 and 4? I stopped playing at 2 'back in t3h day,' and never got around to picking up the series again. I'll also probably grab Nox.

catfood

AGAIN
Tags: gog.com; Lands of Lore; Nox; Ultima; Ultima Underworld

* This is a referral link supporting the RPG Codex, so make sure to use it. Or else.

I'll support the Codex by purchasing something for a few bucks. I've played all the Wing Commanders, the Ultima Series, Crusader: No Remorse, Dungeon Keeper 1 and Starflight. Would Codexers suggest that I purchase Lands of Lore 1+2, Crusader: No Regret, Alpha Centauri, or Nox?
Whatever you do just get SMAC. Easily the best 4X game ever.

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Well, I guess I haven't made any gaming purchases in a while... how are Wing Commanders 3 and 4? I stopped playing at 2 'back in t3h day,' and never got around to picking up the series again. I'll also probably grab Nox.

Wing Commander 3 + 4 are excellent games, but the engine is very different than WC 1 + 2, so be prepared. You might also need a joystick to play, because the keyboard inputs are not as responsive as they were in WC 1 + 2. I found the games to be faster paced and often cursed my poor mouse. When my roommate purchased a joystick for the games it made a big difference.

The stories are also pretty good and the acting and camera work on par with anything you would see in a made for TV science fiction series, with Wing Commander 4 leaping ahead in terms of quality. All in all, WC 3 and and WC 4 do a great job closing out the series. Once you are done, move on to the free and downloadable Wing Commander Saga made with the Freespace engine. Avoid Wing Commander Prophecy.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
WC4 > WC3 > Prophecy

WC3 felt really dumbed down after WC1 and WC2. WC4 added more depth to the setting, with its political intrigue, although it would never be quite the same as WC1+2.

Re: Prophecy, pretty banal game but I've always thought the engine was quite decent.

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
WC4 > WC3 > Prophecy
WC4 added more depth to the setting, with its political intrigue, although it would never be quite the same as WC1+2.

True, and the political intrigue had a satisfying conclusion that stayed with me. To add to that, character deaths in WC 3 and 4 didn't really effect me as I felt I was participating in a movie; a feeling of being outside looking in. On the other hand, the I felt horrible over the deaths of Bossman and Spirit.

Some comments here were mixed in regards to Lands of Lore, and Nox had mediocre support, but everyone seems to like SMAC. I decided to not buy an RPG this go around, and went with Alpha Centauri. The last Civ type of game I played was Master of Magic a few months back, so I expect to get my butt kicked as I relearn how to play this type of game.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Thanks for the feedback. Unfortunately I already watched the cutscene/plot lines to both 3 and 4 a while ago so my enjoyment would be limited to the actual combat. Disappointing to see it's possibly not as good as the first two.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Thanks for the feedback. Unfortunately I already watched the cutscene/plot lines to both 3 and 4 a while ago so my enjoyment would be limited to the actual combat. Disappointing to see it's possibly not as good as the first two.

I wouldn't say the combat is awful in any Wing Commander game. Give them a try.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom