Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Protagonist - Fixed, Semi Fixed or Open/Free?

DraQ

Arcane
I agree with you Captain Shrek, and in fact I was talking only about gameplay mechanics. At the "player level", of course the emergence kicks in, but that's more in the realm of the roleplaying experience than that of the actual underlying system (which is still deterministic, no matter how many branches it can take).
System doesn't have to be nondeterministic if the player's input and value of system clock on runtime are.

Weierstraß

Learned
Project: Eternity
The idea that you cannot have freedom in a deterministic system is silly in itself, or using some really odd definition of freedom.

Lubulos

Educated
System doesn't have to be nondeterministic if the player's input and value of system clock on runtime are.

The player's input is scrutinized by the system, which only accept valid inputs according to its structure and then modify itself accordingly. You can't expect to throw some values in a program and getting an output which isn't determined by what is written in the source. Also, if by system clock you're implying that pseudorandom numbers add freedom to the system, well... they're called "pseudo" for a reason.

The idea that you cannot have freedom in a deterministic system is silly in itself, or using some really odd definition of freedom.

Have a look at point 6 in this definition of freedom. And then you may also consider having a look at these. Since a deterministic system cannot be self-determined (that would be silly), a deterministic system doesn't know the notion of freedom. This is actually a much more interesting topic and I would love to discuss the implication on RPGs, but since where I live is very late I think I'm going to sleep. :D

DraQ

Arcane
well... they're called "pseudo" for a reason.
They are also used for a reason. If you have a good generator and can't predict what system time will be when you take it as seed, it's going to be pretty much as good as the real thing.

And the state of the game being determined by rules donesn't mean that it was somehow "fixed" beforehand, just like the state of reality being determined by the rules doesn't make it "scripted".

Kukulkan

Learned
I have nothing to contribute other than concur with the thought that fixed character works best with storyfaggotry and open works best with combatfaggotry.
Lubuolos should stop though. There's no dumbfuck tag anymore and there those here much more diserving of it.

bhlaab

Erudite
Depends on what kind of game it is. But I don't like completely open/free such as in Icewind Dale. Feels like just a bunch of puppets I'm controlling.

Semi-fixed would probably be my favorite.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom