Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Laptop user: character models invisible

Inin

Novice
I downloaded the free game per the links that Naked Lunch provided. There are a couple things that confuse me:

1) When I start the game and get into the actual game world, the first words I see in the message area are "v1.5" Isn't the free version supposed to be 1.7?

2) I also don't see any character models in-game. I'm using a 64MB Mobile Intel(R) 915GM/GMS,910GML Express Chipset Family video card on my 1.7GHz laptop.

3) It seems odd that there is no options to change keyboard/mouse settings. It is the year 2006, isn't it? Perhaps this problem is related to Problem #1?

I have read in other threads that laptop users are experiencing the same problem with the character models being invisible, so I know I'm not the only one.

Also, is there even a tech support forum/website/something for this game?

I really want to try this game out, it sounds decent. It's going to be hard with invisible character models. Although perhaps it could make for a truly unique gaming experience.

-Inin

sheek

Arbiter
Inin said:
I downloaded the free game per the links that Naked Lunch provided. There are a couple things that confuse me:

1) When I start the game and get into the actual game world, the first words I see in the message area are "v1.5" Isn't the free version supposed to be 1.7?

2) I also don't see any character models in-game. I'm using a 64MB Mobile Intel(R) 915GM/GMS,910GML Express Chipset Family video card on my 1.7GHz laptop.

3) It seems odd that there is no options to change keyboard/mouse settings. It is the year 2006, isn't it? Perhaps this problem is related to Problem #1?

I have read in other threads that laptop users are experiencing the same problem with the character models being invisible, so I know I'm not the only one.

Also, is there even a tech support forum/website/something for this game?

I really want to try this game out, it sounds decent. It's going to be hard with invisible character models. Although perhaps it could make for a truly unique gaming experience.

-Inin

You're the third person to point out a problem with the Intel Integrated Series 9 chip (I have it too). I don't think there's anything we can do about it.

But... what you could do is play the demo. I started the demo of a previous version and it worked. Since it worked on a previous version that probably means that it's due to something that's changed since then and it can be fixed.

Inin

Novice
Alright, I did some tinkering. I downloaded an old demo, in game it says "v0.43" I believe, and what do you know? The models are visible once again. I moved the demo .exe to replace the v1.7 .exe(yes I backed up the new .exe). It still works for the most part, the journal is all messed up but the game seems to work ok.

Now, I've installed Prelude onto a computer using a 128MB Intel(R) 82915G/GV/910GL Express Chipset Family on an Intel Pentium4 3GHZ desktop computer. The character models are invisible on that machine also.

I think I've narrowed it down to the new .exe that was distributed with the free version. Perhaps someone can upload the v1.6 or v1.5 executable with a registration code so us laptop users can hopefully enjoy the game.

-Inin

Severian Silk

I can't see the models either.

However, I'm not using a laptop or an Intel processor. I'm using an 950MHz AMD Athlon (non-XP) processor on a standard desktop computer.

The character models are not visible, and there are large swaths of black space where the ground tiles should be. I can see walls, the user interface, as well as magical effects.

My video card is an nVidia GeForce 2 TI. I have DirectX 9.0c installed.

[Edit]
I was able to get everything to work by installing older display drivers (nVidia v29.42).

thathmew

Zero Sum Software
Developer
The "free" version is very untested and is a beta release.

I'm looking at the character model issue, which is primarily a display driver issue. It may have been caused by updating to a newer version of the DirectX SDK when I compiled the latest version of the game.

Hopefully I'll be able to get it fixed over the weekend.

Severian Silk

The v61.21 nVidia drivers available at Guru3D also work well.

Situk

Novice
i didnt get it...
I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM
what was the fixing?

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Skynet node one is complete. Now starting assembling node two.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom