Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Wasteland 2 Interview and Official Blog Update

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Yes? I'm trying to think of 30 different skills to apply in a post-apocalyptical game where you play as a Ranger-type and I'd probably have to come up with horribly redundant ones like different gun skills to fill that much.

Maybe a Ball-Scratching skill that you can give your combat focused characters so they have something to do during larping-heavy parts.

hiver

all great examples for another, complimentary set of skills.
after all ranger differences must be visible in their skills, directly represented by skills - anyway, so a few "soldier classes" and focusing one a specific weapon or type of tactical behaviour (support? scout? sniper? -etc), could play well.

specializations... hmm...

-

:scratches beard:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yes? I'm trying to think of 30 different skills to apply in a post-apocalyptical game where you play as a Ranger-type and I'd probably have to come up with horribly redundant ones like different gun skills to fill that much.

Maybe a Ball-Scratching skill that you can give your combat focused characters so they have something to do during larping-heavy parts.

I heard of this game called Wasteland that did it. Maybe you should check it out.

St. Toxic

Arcane
You don't see the difference between dividing things into two skill groups and having classes?

There is no difference. The useful skill subgroup becomes a group of classes.

Let's pretend for a minute that all of Fallout's skills were great. Wonderful. But we wanted to add more flavor to the characters and the world. We want to be able to make the character humorous, or good at juggling, or a great dance, or a rock climber, etc. But we don't have the time to really give them much impact in the game, they'll only be used once or twice, just to add a couple of interesting things. We could leave them out entirely (since we can't fully develop them), include them with other skills (the more the merrier! skills don't even have to have any in game use), or add them as separate, flavor skills. The last option will mean that they'll get more use, and be used as they were intended.

Wait what? Where do you get that preposterous idea? Did Steve tell you that? If "Cocksucking" is part of the same skillgroup as "Big Guns" it'll apparently see less use and in a way that goes against the developers intentions (I guess people will max it and try to win the game with it lol) meaning that the only appropriate option is to create a "Big Guns" class (which you'll inevitably max) with the Heavy Weapons Guy having a number of hobbies, one of which happens to be sucking cock? Get out of here.

The two simplest solutions, if you're only going to suck cock once per game, is to either have it as a perk (either you know how to suck cock, or you don't -- 0/1) which you pick up at char creation or learn during the game, or to present it as any other skill but with a much simpler learning curve (as you probably know, cocksucking just doesn't have as many nuances as, say, being able to efficiently use all the big guns in the world) so that you can max it with 4-5 skillpoints and be done with it.

No. In EVN, there are six main story lines, and you can only go through one on each play. Geneforge has something like...five different endings? With three different servile factions you can decide to join (or not), two different outsider factions, and two different main villains. They have different paths, not paths you can choose to not take. There's a difference. A rather huge difference, that I hope you are able to comprehend.

The difference being paths are mutually exclusive, gotcha. But if they aren't, you'll do them all, gotcha. That's why I've always advocated a stricter time-limit, but then people shit themselves in anger at not having the time to do all the side-quests in one run.

Hit the level cap? No, this happens during a normal play through. Again, read the walkthrough made by the games designer. I did more or less the same thing, so I'm pretty confident I wasn't just doing it wrong (by, you know, talking to people and doing quests).

Read a walkthrough? :eek: Hey man, how about you do a low-int MacGuyver build and go south right out of the Vault? It's a lot of fun.

Umm...no.

amnotbright said:
Hell, I usually had dozens of unspent skill points saved up because there was no point spending them anywhere.
Umm... yeah?

amnotbright said:
Game not balanced? It's not the games fault. You just need to skip large portions of it. It's your fault for wanting to play the damn thing, you greedy player. Oh, wait, that's the way the game's designer - and most people - play the game? It's still your fault!

And those useless skills? They're useless, because Tim Cain and 90% of the sheeple lol never use them. It's the INTENDED way of playing so I'm not wrong in this assessment, so don't call me sheeple just read a walkthrough.

amnotbright said:
Fine, it's a problem with the game involving the skills that leads to less incentive to invest in a particular skill, leading to even less skills that people find important. But not a problem with the skill system. Happy?

You make me very happy.

I don't like split pools, but I'll note the newest edition of TDE/Das Schwarze Auge runs things this way, with weighted skills, and I do have a soft spot for that concept. Combat skills being harder to upgrade than hobby skills, it costing two more points to upgrade swords than to upgrade, say, flute playing. It doesn't make logical sense, if you want logical skill weights then it's simply about more complex vs easier-to-learn, but as a game balance concept it's not too bad, as long as you don't overdo it. I once posted an RPG system draft-up when I was considering doing a project of my own that I posted either here or on ITS that contained skill-weights. It has disadvantages, but it's definitely better than skill pools, which I really don't like.

As I said, I think it makes sense that logically easier skills should take less effort to max or become proficient in. I mean, you could reasonably learn to play the harmonica like a pro in one level, while mastering assault rifles or raising lockpicking to the point where you can open high-security safes would take you forever.

I also kind of like the idea of weapon familiarity rather than straight up increase to aiming % and damage with the increase of weapon skills, though I guess that's going a bit off topic. That way, you may have invested mainly in banjo, toaster repair, cocksucking and recreational plumbing, but you would still be gaining proficiency with a weapon as you continue to use it, albeit much slower and never to the point of wielding it expertly as someone trained in firearms might. That way you can't really make a character who is completely useless in a combat situation, but they'll never be as useful as actual combat oriented characters because they are unable to upgrade their arsenal without a long period of adapting to the new weapon. Then, of course, if your gun breaks or the specific ammo needed becomes scarce, it creates a new set of challenges for the character to overcome.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal

I heard of this game called Wasteland that did it. Maybe you should check it out.
Are you serious?

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Well, I guess I get your point. Though over two decades later I'd expect a better implementation.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite

Skills that every character should have:
  • Brawling (LK/3/1): The primary hand-to-hand skill which you need in case you run out of ammo at the wrong time. Buy 2 levels, because it will double your number of attacks (you can imagine that this makes a difference), and you'll want to use this early on.
  • Climb (AGL/3/1): A cheap convenience. Though only one character really needs it to get you past obstacles, you can raise it for free later, which is gratifying.
  • Swim (ST/3/1): See Climb.
  • Perception (IQ/6/1): Useful for finding many things, such as land mines.
  • Assault rifle (DEX/9/1): Used for the best low-tech weapons.
  • AT weapon (DEX/9/1): Good to have in case you must blast off a rocket.
  • Energy weapon (DEX/23/3): For all weapons powered by Power packs.
Skills that two or more characters need:
  • Medic (IQ/15/2): Put this on two characters for healing early on. Getting 2 from the beginning is not worth the cost.
  • Doctor (IQ/21/3): Get this for everyone that lacks a well-developed Medic skill to be on the safe side later in the game, especially if you play with four or fewer characters.
Skills that only one character needs:
  • Picklock (DEX/10/1): Used to open many doors.
  • Silent move (AGL/10/1): Put this on the lead character.
  • Demolitions (IQ/13/1): Used when throwing Grenades, so load all of those on one character if you're not selling them. This is not used for opening doors.
  • Bomb disarm (IQ/15/2): You might want to put 2 here because the consequences of a failure can be aggravating. That's 6 skill points, so you need an IQ 16-18 character for this.
  • Safecrack (DEX/15/2): Used in a few places.
  • Helicopter pilot (DEX/19/3): You don't really need this.
  • Toaster repair (IQ/20/3): Used very late in the game.
  • Electronics (IQ/20/3): No very significant use unless you play a smaller than usual party. Metal Maniac has this.
  • Clone tech (IQ/22/3): See Helicopter pilot.
Mostly pointless weapon skills:
  • Clip pistol (DEX/3/1): Bad idea, Brawling is much better early on.
  • Knife fight (DEX/3/1): Don't know why you'd want to fight with knives.
  • Pugilism (ST/3/1): Brawling is much more powerful and you need that anyway to get multiple attacks.
  • Rifle (DEX/3/1): Can easily be bypassed in the weapon progression.
  • Knife throw (DEX/6/1): See Knife fight.
  • SMG (DEX/9/1): See Rifle.
Skills which have no significant or exclusive applications:
  • Acrobat (AGL/10/1): Not useless, but marginal as long as you have Climb.
  • Gamble (LK/10/1): You don't need extra money, and there are no quest applications.
  • Confidence (CHR/11/1): Very marginal social skill.
  • Sleight of hand (DEX/12/1): A rubbish skill.
  • Forgery (DEX/13/1): See Sleight of hand.
  • Alarm disarm (IQ/14/1): See Sleight of hand.
  • Bureaucracy (CHR/14/1): See Confidence.
  • Cryptology (IQ/16/2): Used once, a pure convenience.
  • Metallurgy (IQ/17/2): Only good for some decidedly minor cash and random encounter changes in the Mine Shaft.
  • Cyborg tech (IQ/24/3): See Cryptology.
Weird skills:
  • Combat shooting (SP/11/1): This skill only appears in the PC version and can only be learned during character creation. Most likely it doesn't serve any function in the game whatsoever.
I wouldn't be surprised if Wasteland 2 ends up with a similar distribution. :M

hiver

Primary skills :

Skills that every character should have:
  • Brawling (LK/3/1): The primary hand-to-hand skill which you need in case you run out of ammo at the wrong time. Buy 2 levels, because it will double your number of attacks (you can imagine that this makes a difference), and you'll want to use this early on.
  • Climb (AGL/3/1): A cheap convenience. Though only one character really needs it to get you past obstacles, you can raise it for free later, which is gratifying.
  • Swim (ST/3/1): See Climb.
  • Perception (IQ/6/1): Useful for finding many things, such as land mines.
  • Assault rifle (DEX/9/1): Used for the best low-tech weapons.
  • AT weapon (DEX/9/1): Good to have in case you must blast off a rocket.
  • Energy weapon (DEX/23/3): For all weapons powered by Power packs.
Skills that two or more characters need:
  • Medic (IQ/15/2): Put this on two characters for healing early on. Getting 2 from the beginning is not worth the cost.
  • Doctor (IQ/21/3): Get this for everyone that lacks a well-developed Medic skill to be on the safe side later in the game, especially if you play with four or fewer characters.

Complimentary skills :

Skills that only one character needs:
  • Picklock (DEX/10/1): Used to open many doors.
  • Silent move (AGL/10/1): Put this on the lead character.
  • Demolitions (IQ/13/1): Used when throwing Grenades, so load all of those on one character if you're not selling them. This is not used for opening doors.
  • Bomb disarm (IQ/15/2): You might want to put 2 here because the consequences of a failure can be aggravating. That's 6 skill points, so you need an IQ 16-18 character for this.
  • Safecrack (DEX/15/2): Used in a few places.
  • Helicopter pilot (DEX/19/3): You don't really need this.
  • Toaster repair (IQ/20/3): Used very late in the game.
  • Electronics (IQ/20/3): No very significant use unless you play a smaller than usual party. Metal Maniac has this.
  • Clone tech (IQ/22/3): See Helicopter pilot.
Mostly pointless weapon skills:
  • Clip pistol (DEX/3/1): Bad idea, Brawling is much better early on.
  • Knife fight (DEX/3/1): Don't know why you'd want to fight with knives.
  • Pugilism (ST/3/1): Brawling is much more powerful and you need that anyway to get multiple attacks.
  • Rifle (DEX/3/1): Can easily be bypassed in the weapon progression.
  • Knife throw (DEX/6/1): See Knife fight.
  • SMG (DEX/9/1): See Rifle.
Skills which have no significant or exclusive applications:
  • Acrobat (AGL/10/1): Not useless, but marginal as long as you have Climb.
  • Gamble (LK/10/1): You don't need extra money, and there are no quest applications.
  • Confidence (CHR/11/1): Very marginal social skill.
  • Sleight of hand (DEX/12/1): A rubbish skill.
  • Forgery (DEX/13/1): See Sleight of hand.
  • Alarm disarm (IQ/14/1): See Sleight of hand.
  • Bureaucracy (CHR/14/1): See Confidence.
  • Cryptology (IQ/16/2): Used once, a pure convenience.
  • Metallurgy (IQ/17/2): Only good for some decidedly minor cash and random encounter changes in the Mine Shaft.
  • Cyborg tech (IQ/24/3): See Cryptology.

Seriously. Doesnt this look good, clear, simple?
(provided a bit more gameplay use is created for the middle and last category, ofc)

almondblight

Arcane
There is no difference. The useful skill subgroup becomes a group of classes.

OK. I see. So Fallout's system is the same as a class system, you just have 15 or whatever separate classes that you can multi.

The two simplest solutions, if you're only going to suck cock once per game, is to either have it as a perk (either you know how to suck cock, or you don't -- 0/1) which you pick up at char creation or learn during the game, or to present it as any other skill but with a much simpler learning curve (as you probably know, cocksucking just doesn't have as many nuances as, say, being able to efficiently use all the big guns in the world) so that you can max it with 4-5 skillpoints and be done with it.

Perks are a good example of this. You get one point per three levels to spend in perks, and several can be brought up different levels. OMG different pools! Action boy not being included with the other skills was obviously decline.

The difference being paths are mutually exclusive, gotcha. But if they aren't, you'll do them all, gotcha.

Uh, yes? I usually don't skip large portions of the game when I play it?

Read a walkthrough? :eek:

Reading is that hard? Read a walkthrough written by the designers to get an idea of how they imagined people should play the game. I understand you might run out of the vault, into the wilderness, and start larping a bandit. That's good and all, but it doesn't mean it makes any sense to complain that people are playing the game like it's meant to.

amnotbright said:
Hell, I usually had dozens of unspent skill points saved up because there was no point spending them anywhere.
Umm... yeah?

OK, so reading is that hard. Having dozen of unspent skill points usually shows that there wasn't much reason to invest in a lot of skills. That doesn't mean I think they should have just made more skills awesome - obviously, that would have made the game even easier. I mean, for the way most people play the game. I know, I know - "You can just run straight from the vault to the military base so you can't complain about lack of difficulty lol!"

And those useless skills? They're useless, because Tim Cain and 90% of the sheeple lol never use them. It's the INTENDED way of playing so I'm not wrong in this assessment, so don't call me sheeple just read a walkthrough.

Yeah man, the games designer, what does he know, right? I guess I have to side with a moran like him.

St. Toxic

Arcane
Yeah man, the games designer, what does he know, right? I guess I have to side with a moran like him.

response.jpg

Seriously. Doesnt this look good, clear, simple?

Sure, it's like straight out of a walkthrough.

almondblight

Arcane
I broke mr. toxic?

OK, you're right man. Doing most of the quests in Fallout is being anal and comparable to combing dat files for goodies. Most people skip most of the content - hell, most people play the game without ever meeting the Master, the Overseer, or a single Deathclaw! Tim Cain doesn't know how the game should be played because he had to test the game. Being able to put points into guns, sneaking, melee, or healing is the exact same thing as being forced to choose only one and having to stick with it. Fallout's basically a class system with 15 classes, you know? Only morans go to Shady Sands at the beginning. This:

Dividing it up would hopefully also mean giving the player less skill points for the useful skills..
...obviously means that I'm complaining that there aren't enough awesome skills to invest in. Perks are completely different than skills, because they're specializations within the skills. You know, like how action boy was a specialization of...well...some skill.
I bow to your unique logic sir.
:bravo:

Self-Ejected

Brayko

Self-Ejected

St. Toxic

Arcane
Yes because you have to play an open game in an edgy non-conformist way to be cool.

It's not about having to do anything. You don't have a choice in the matter. Read a developer walkthrough, there's only one ultra-specific path through the game which is doing it right, and most people get it. Unless you want to meta the game, you read a developer walkthrough to keep yourself on the straight and narrow. Of course it would be nice if Fallout was non-linear, but most side-quests just aren't mutually exclusive. :?

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Is there a problem with the developers just flat out writing down which skills first time players should probably pick?

St. Toxic

Arcane
Is there a problem with the developers just flat out writing down which skills first time players should probably pick?

Pre-made characters should be enough. Take one good look, know that they're viable and do your own build based on what you've learned.

bhlaab

Erudite
Have they said much else about character creation? I just hope there's no repeated die rolls involved, that nonsense sucked in Wasteland 1

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy

Pre-made characters should be enough. Take one good look, know that they're viable and do your own build based on what you've learned.

In most games premade characters are worse than first try of a new player. That kinda makes me wonder why do they make them?

St. Toxic

Arcane
In most games premade characters are worse than first try of a new player. I kinda makes me wonder why do they make anyway?

Hasn't been my experience, but then again I never actually use the premades other than as a reference. Care to give an example of a game with useless premades?

Self-Ejected

Brayko

Self-Ejected
I wouldn't expect any reasonably sane businessman to support Barack Obamovich Lenin. Respect for Fargo++

Well I'm sure any "Sane" businessman (oxymoron), of which I assume you mean "great" businessman, which would be a person who disregards any form of niche and is only interested in making the big bucks, would gladly have turned Wasteland 2 into a FPS with bromance and day 1 DLC and totally disregarded the fans of the original, and not to mention the Fallout fans who seem to be counting on him as well.

James Cameron is a staunch liberal and his movies dominate the market. So yeah, people who want to create things their own way, without allowing themselves to alter their visions for the sake of the almighty dollar figure have a bit more steam in their engines than the average "sane" Republican businessman.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
To me, Brian Fargo seems your typical lofty-minded and apolitical entrepreneur-CEO. That is, somebody who's conditioned himself through life to be a moderate and not to think too hardly about politics, so that he can get along with (and do business with) the maximum amount of people.

Of course, he is in California, so for him "moderate" means "moderate liberal".

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom