Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Planetside 2

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
The free-to-play model in this game is utter shit, even Reddit is complaining about it.

Someone give me a ring when it's not three times as expensive as Tribes: Ascend in terms of time/resources/$ to purchase upgrades that count for one class in one faction and on one server only.

The free-to-play model in this game is utter shit, even Reddit is complaining about it.

Someone give me a ring when it's not three times as expensive as Tribes: Ascend in terms of time/resources/$ to purchase upgrades that count for one class in one faction and on one server only.

That is indeed dismaying. There is a small silver lining though when I spawn as a light assault with all the basic equipment and surprise someone as heavy assault with fully decked out equipment both earned and bought then take them down. I can only imagine the rage they must feel.

Also vehicles especially aircraft are extremely hard to pilot. The controls are either blunted or oversensitive. Also the view seems off.

Maybe I'm just mad I lost a new gunship by clipping a large rock while flying low.

Sincerely,
The Vault Dweller

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
I generally don't play shooters with upgrades (as opposed to sidegrades) at all. I believe in skill-to-win, not upgrade-to-win—if having more/better upgrades can result in a decisive victory for one player in a theoretical fight against another player of equal skill using the same class and such, then I'm probably not going to play.

The trouble is, I can't figure out if Planetside 2 is upgrade-to-win because every time I ask, the game's fans get mad and start rageposting, trolling or spamming downvotes... which leads me to believe that in fact the game is upgrade-to-win. That said, the premise of a big-ass continent and massive ongoing battles with vehicles is appealing to me. When complaint threads on Reddit about the game's payment model get lots of upvotes, however, it's a red flag for me. Gaming subreddits are usually filled with worshipful fanboys, and /r/planetside is no different, yet even they are complaining.

So I can perhaps get past the game's upgrade-to-win (any counter-arguments?) nature, but if it's also an especially obnoxious upgrade-to-win system in terms of $/time/certs/whatever required to obtain said upgrades, that's a bit too fucking much to take.

roll-a-die

Magister
I generally don't play shooters with upgrades (as opposed to sidegrades) at all. I believe in skill-to-win, not upgrade-to-win—if having more/better upgrades can result in a decisive victory for one player in a theoretical fight against another player of equal skill using the same class and such, then I'm probably not going to play.

The trouble is, I can't figure out if Planetside 2 is upgrade-to-win because every time I ask, the game's fans get mad and start rageposting, trolling or spamming downvotes... which leads me to believe that in fact the game is upgrade-to-win. That said, the premise of a big-ass continent and massive ongoing battles with vehicles is appealing to me. When complaint threads on Reddit about the game's payment model get lots of upvotes, however, it's a red flag for me. Gaming subreddits are usually filled with worshipful fanboys, and /r/planetside is no different, yet even they are complaining.

So I can perhaps get past the game's upgrade-to-win (any counter-arguments?) nature, but if it's also an especially obnoxious upgrade-to-win system in terms of $/time/certs/whatever required to obtain said upgrades, that's a bit too fucking much to take.
Most weapons are not upgrades, they are just balanced better than the default weapons for specific situations. For instance, I have the Pandora shotgun IIRC. The Pandora is one of 3 Vanu shotguns. It's a lower refire, higher recoil, tighter spread than the other two. Where one is a faster refire, much lower recoil, but much higher spread(The Thanatos). The other one, is a middle ground between the two. Even then for all of these, at mid ranges they are completely worse than default gun, and won't do half as much damage. The shotguns are near 1hk's up close, but any further than about a metre and they are ruined in all terms of usefulness. This is the reason they were removed from Infils, because Infils had a very easy way to get up close without anyone noticing them. There were other ways of balancing this, but ultimately replacing them with scout rifles was the quickest and easiest solutions. Also the shotties unlock for all classes than can use them, Light+Heavy Assault and Engies, at least on Vanu.

I personally think you should start with the middle ground version of every weapon for your faction.

The cert point system is fairly easy if you are any good at FPS, you'll be earning around 50 certs an hour, or half a low priced sidegrade gun. I got my Shotty in about 10 hours of play.

P3piR.jpg

Angelo85

Arcane
Patron
Planetside 2 is a very shady kind of gray when it comes to Pay2Win.
You can unlock everything except cosmetic items with the in-game currency (Certification points). But the thing is that IMHO prices are waaay too high at the moment.
For instance out of the box your generic Air Fighter has Afterburners. But you can unlock for that slot missiles (Anti-Ground and Anti-Air ones), each costing 1,000 certification points. Now you could play for 20 hours and unlock them via the in-game currency, or you could purchase them in the shop. These missiles are much more useful than the stock afterburner upgrade and I would go as far to say that you are not as useful with a Afterburner-Fighter than you are with a Missile-Fighter.
The thing is, if you pay to unlock them, you will have the Certifications for something else, like an increase in speed/maneuverability or actually unlock Zoom-Optics or Night-Vision for those missiles.

So if you are not putting money into the game, you will always lack behind in potential power compared to people who did purchase things in-game and have a comparable playtime. Is that Pay2Win or not? You could argue about that, but it's absolutely a fine line they are riding with this business model and calling it NOT Pay2Win.

Oriebam

Formerly M4AE1BR0-something
keep in mind non empire specific equipment is going to be unlocked on all characters from now on or some shit, it's already been announced by higby so go verify that
Most weapons are not upgrades, they are just balanced better than the default weapons for specific situations. For instance, I have the Pandora shotgun IIRC. The Pandora is one of 3 Vanu shotguns. It's a lower refire, higher recoil, tighter spread than the other two. Where one is a faster refire, much lower recoil, but much higher spread(The Thanatos). The other one, is a middle ground between the two. Even then for all of these, at mid ranges they are completely worse than default gun, and won't do half as much damage. The shotguns are near 1hk's up close, but any further than about a metre and they are ruined in all terms of usefulness. This is the reason they were removed from Infils, because Infils had a very easy way to get up close without anyone noticing them. There were other ways of balancing this, but ultimately replacing them with scout rifles was the quickest and easiest solutions. Also the shotties unlock for all classes than can use them, Light+Heavy Assault and Engies, at least on Vanu.

I personally think you should start with the middle ground version of every weapon for your faction.

The cert point system is fairly easy if you are any good at FPS, you'll be earning around 50 certs an hour, or half a low priced sidegrade gun. I got my Shotty in about 10 hours of play.
vehicles are still kind of pay to whatever, though, I think it's fair to say it usually takes over a thousand certs(maybe two?) to have all upgrades, prices are also really retarded sometimes, why does a ejection system cost 500 certs, I seriously hope that price is at least not corresponding in station cash

also the airframes cost something around 600 certs total and there is no penalty to use them

then there's paying certs for repair/med tool upgrades and some other similar upgrades that are ridiculously expensive, which IMO isn't that bad but it's still retarded – what the fuck is it with paying 1500 certs total for some full suit or ability upgrades?

should also note that none of the default weapons can have grenade launcher attachments

what's your usual score rate and what do you usually do, btw? what was your BR when you got the shotty?

Also vehicles especially aircraft are extremely hard to pilot. The controls are either blunted or oversensitive. Also the view seems off.

Maybe I'm just mad I lost a new gunship by clipping a large rock while flying low.

Sincerely,
The Vault Dweller

you are, it just takes a little getting used to for the galaxies or liberators, they don't require hard maneuvers unless you're trying to use the shredder upside down or something

you of course can adjust sensitivity for flying in the settings

I think it's better to have higher sensitivity because it's better to be less precise than to die because you couldn't pivot fast enough

bonescraper

Hahah, no.

First time i got into a scythe i pushed the mouse forward and crashed instantly. I tried to change the axis controls on my mouse but i wasn't possible, so i raged. But i tried flying again, 5 minutes later i was flying under trees while dodging rocket lock-ons on Amerish, hiding under bridges on Esamir and headshotting troops with default weapons.

And i can't fly for shit in Battlefield 3.

Machine

Arbiter
So me and a friend rolled vanu on Watterson last night, just to mess around a little bit. After derping in scythes and doing rolls all over the place, we decide to head to some hotspot, so we grabbed magriders and float away. By the time we got there TR was already spawncamped, so I circled once around the spawn room and I see a red run out. Naturally he gets greeted by my magrider cannon and I got the message "you killed AngryJoe". My first kill on server was codex favorite Angry Joe, and amount of :smug: was almost unbearable so I had to log off for the night.

Angelo85

Arcane
Patron
So patch today introduced a bunch of new weapons and horns for two vehicles. The horns cost 650 SC each. That's $6.50 for the ability to honk and not accidentally teamkill someone that jumps in front of your vehicle.

My initial reaction: :what:

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
http://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/index.php?threads/game-update-1.64525/#post-807427

All servers will come down at 6 AM PT for Game Update 1. Downtime is anticipated to be less than two hours. Players may notice the following changes.

General:

Horns are now available for the Sunderer and Flash! Check the Depot under Vehicle Gear.
New weaponry is currently being issued to all three empires. If you are looking for a new light machine gun or assault rifle, head to the Depot and check them out.
A number of changes have been made to Vehicle and Aircraft weaponry. Please see the Vehicle notes below.
Fixed a few crash bugs and provided some optimizations to improve gameplay.
Players may now make multiple characters on the same server.

Notable Bugfixes:

The NS-11 Platinum should now properly unlock medals.
The Facebook Promotional Weapons should now properly unlock medals.
Players should no longer be able to spot enemies without a line of sight.
The Gauss Compact S will now provide players the ability to aim down sights and strafe more accurately.
Destroying enemy terminals will no longer provide a Kill stat.
The Light Assault Jumpjet will no longer break if you run into terrain while in flight.
When holding down push to talk it should no longer become "stuck" when released.
The NS-11 will now have a sound indicating it is being reloaded.
Spawning a vehicle in the warpgate will no longer cause players to fall through the world.
The TX2 Emperor should now provide the correct damage level to targets.

Vehicles:

The tail gun on the Liberator is now located on the back of the tail wing and not underneath it. This provides a greater coverage for all tail gun variants.

Aircraft and Phalanx Turret resistance to the following weapons has been reduced:
M40 Fury
C75 Viper
L105 Zephyr
G30 Vulcan
M60 Bulldog
Personal Defense Weapons (on light aircraft only)
Sunderer resistance to heavy machine guns has been increased.
All Flak damage has been increased by 5%.
The Composite Armor tooltip has been adjusted to be more accurate.

Infantry Weaponry:

New Weapons:

The NS Decimator rocket launcher is now available to all empires.

Terran Republic:
The TAR will provide the best hip fire of this empires assault rifles.
The T32 Bull will provide an adaptable solution to long or short range combat but has a slow reload.

New Conglomerate:
The Carnage BR is now available. This medium-fast fire rate assault rifle has good hip fire and range limiting recoil.
The Anchor light machine gunprovided good mobility and a 45 round magazine.

Vanu Sovereignty:
The Corvus assault rifle has a slow rate of fire but compensates with deadly accuracy.
The Ursa light machine gun will provide a slightly lower rate of fire but extreme accurate fire.

General Weaponry:

Tank mines can now once again be deployed by throwing them reverting the change made last week.
Extended ammunition attachments will no longer provide more ammunition capability than intended. They all will now provide 4 more rounds.
A small increase in movement accuracy with iron sights was made on on slower assault rifles, carbines, and light machine guns.
A small decrease in movement accuracy was made with the 40 round assault rifles and carbines.
The NC Gauss and Gauss S now have increased projectile speed.
The Cycler TRV now has reduced hip fire accuracy.
The Razor GD-23 now has reduced recoil for the first shot.
The T9 CARV and CARV S now have increased equip time.
The LA80 projectile speed has been reduced to put it in line with the other empire sniper rifles.

Vehicle Weaponry:

Aircraft:

M20 Drake: Previously the M20 Basilisk, this weapon has increased top end damage. It also has a longer range before damage fall off occurs.

M60-A Bulldog: Previously the M60 Bulldog, this aircraft weapon has had the following changes:

Magazine size has been reduced from 10 to 6.
Magazine size certifications now 1 round per rank increase.
Projectile speed has been increased
Direct hit damage has been increased
Splash damage will no longer damage heavy armor.
The M60-A has a faster projectile than its ground based variant the M-60G.

A30 Walker: This is now the air variant of the Walker weapon system.

The reticule and first person tracer have been changed to make them easier to see.
Projectile speed is slower but drop has been reduced.
Damage has been increased overall.

Light Aircraft Rocketpods:

Blast radius in which maximum damage occurs has been reduced. This does not change the size of the blast radius.
Damage against Sunderers and Aircraft have been reduced.
Significantly reduced damage against Phalanx turrets.

Liberator AP30 Shredder:

Damage has been increased at close ranges.
Magazine size has been increased to 50.

Reaver Air Hammer:

The projectile spread has been tightened up.
Damage per projectile has been increased.
Damage fall off will occur at a further distance.

Ground Weaponry:

The Lightning Skyguard Turret has increased projectile speed and it's reticule has been adjusted to use the Terran Republic Burster MAX reticule.

C75 Viper:

Direct hit damage increased
Increased maximum blast radius damage

M40 Fury:

Reduced damage against heavy armor.
Upped direct hit damage and blast damage.

Anti-Personnel Phalanx Turret:

Cone of Fire tightened up a bit
Slight adjustments to heat. Will cool off a bit faster and take a little bit longer to overheat.
Pushed out range where projectiles start to lose damage significantly.

World:

The main shields at Tech Plants are now operated by two generators in the outlying buildings. These shields now have icons that display the status of the generators.
Frostbite Harbor Spawn Room now has a pain field.
The grav pads at the Dahaka Amp Station western forward spawn are now functional.
Players are no longer able to spawn at Sungrey Amp Station when the SCU has been destroyed.
Enemy projectiles will no longer go through the Biolab Gate Shields.
Players still in a vehicle once the pilot has logged off will no longer disconnect.
The Phalanx Turret has increased projectile speed and it's reticule has been adjusted to use the MAX burster reticule.

UI:

The Regen benefit of a Biolab will now display on the Tab scoreboard.
All Heavy Assault ability items are now using unique icons.
Platoons should now longer state they are “full” when all squads have squad leaders and there is still room for more members.
SAS-R and Impetus optics will now display a description when hovering over with a mouse.
The TS4 Haymaker and FA1 Barrage now have a tooltip when mousing over the progress bar.
Moving a player to another squad will no longer boot them from a Squad/Platoon locked vehicle.
Players removed from a Squad or Platoon channel will no longer be able to use that channel.
Unoccupied Phalanx Turrets should now display “Press [E] to Enter” messaging.

Visual:

The NS-11 Platinum and Ns-11A rifles are no longer the same color.
The Sunderer Smoke Screen will no longer hide decals.
Lightning Hood Ornaments will no longer be placed on top of decals.
New Conglomerate African Forest Weapon Camo no longer displays Vanu Sovereignty coloring.
A MAX unit will no longer appear to float while descending on a Grav Pad.
Purchased Weapon Camo will no longer be cleared when a weapon trial ends.
The Engineering Repair tool is now black.
Main Battle Tank and Lightning armor should no longer cover decals.
The Lasher magazine will now reload and no longer “floats” if the player is sprinting.
The NC Gauss Compact S Underbarrel weapons will now show a reloading animation correctly.
A player will no longer siplay headless and frozen in a riding pose when killed on a Quad.

Pretty good patch. With the nerf to air, entrenched frontlines have a real possibility of forming. Since the patch I've been on countless inter-base killing fields with tanks holding the line, breaking it, infantry charges, and so on.

A few days ago me and two friend went on a Liberator run. We would climb high enough to almost not be seen and practically impossible to shoot (like 700 meters). The guy in our cannon turret would kill a tank with every few shots and I'd scare away any enemy planes attacking our rear with the AA ball turret.

There were more than a few times were an enemy fighter would get too close and actually get one-shot-killed by the middle cannon! :lol:

In an hours time I must have earned triple the normal experience I usually get off of lots of assists, a few kills, and more than a few installation captures since even if you're too far up to see the battle just being in the territory counts.

Sincerely,
The Vault Dweller

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
I'm enjoying myself. It feels like Battlefield 2142 on crack (and improved in many aspects). Air/armor/infantry work well in combination, which is excellent.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom