Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software The Dark Souls Discussion Thread

Malpercio

Arcane
So, is the online on PC alive? I kinda haven't logged for a while now.

If you want a fast two handed sword your best bet is probably a katana. The washing pole in particular has pretty long reach. Though personally I'd prefer one of the larger (but still normal category) axe weapons, like the butcher's cleaver or the crescent axe. Long reach, good stun, decently fast and covers a wide arc. A lot of big weapons kind of miss the point of big weapons by offering mostly attacks that are entirely vertical and thus have fairly shit range when compared to shorter weapons with sweeping attacks.

Zweihander. Just Zweihander.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Pretty sure he said he wanted a fast two hander. Also Zweihander sucks lol. Though admittedly I used the Greatsword, which is basically the same thing, on my first playthrough. That was before they nerfed it's stunlocking though. Though it might still be good enough to one hit stagger most things, that wasn't what he was looking for anyways.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
I stuck with the Greatsword of Artorias for awhile. Good damage and stagger if you can get over the fact that it's strong attack is essentially a deathwish against anything above PVE. Requires lots of levelling for the damage to start speaking for itself, though.

praetor

Arcane
Pretty sure he said he wanted a fast two hander. Also Zweihander sucks lol. Though admittedly I used the Greatsword, which is basically the same thing, on my first playthrough. That was before they nerfed it's stunlocking though. Though it might still be good enough to one hit stagger most things, that wasn't what he was looking for anyways.

and since when are katanas 2handers? you could make the argument for the washing pole since it's a quality weapon (i.e. 27/40 str/dex and 2hand the thing for max efficiency) but the rest? lol

"fast 2 handers" would be big ass swords that are faster than the rest, f.e. claymore, moonlight greatsword, great lord greatsword...

Also Zweihander sucks lol.

:what: Why is that?

It has insane damage, shreds through every boss with a few swings, staggers everything on second hit at most and has decent range. For something that doesn't require the player to take great pains in acquiring it I'd say it's p. good. Had Claymore as well but it's just not as much swagger.

Self-Ejected

AngryEddy

Self-Ejected
You're not going to want to use the Zweihander outside of PvE. Most PvP is based around quick strike, or long reach attacks, as well as mobility for backstabs.

praetor

Arcane
zwei used to be top-tier for pros on vit-gouges before the elemental&dwgr nerfs in the latest patch

Damned Registrations

I don't like the zwei because it takes an hour and a half to swing and then another 3 hours to recover the stamina. A pair of axe chops or hammer swings tends to work out better.

Self-Ejected

AngryEddy

Self-Ejected
I don't like the zwei because it takes an hour and a half to swing and then another 3 hours to recover the stamina. A pair of axe chops or hammer swings tends to work out better.

Depends. If you have a high enough sorcery skill, you do WAY more damage than the Zwei, with a crystal buffed Katana. Zweihander is honestly your best bang for your buck, for any general character that needs a good PvE weapon. I used to use the normal greataxe you find in the sewer next to Kirk of Thorns, but it's just too goddamn slow. Although, on my old character I killed Manus with the Iron Flesh Pyromancy, Stone Armor, and + 15 greataxe.

Damned Registrations

Not the great axe (even slower, bleh) just a nice one handed axe or mace like I mentioned before. Same reach, pretty much the same stagger when you factor in the swing speed. Damage is a bit lower, but if you got a stun lock who cares. Also it weighs much much less.

By the time you have a crystal sorcery 80% of the game is over anyways, unless you need to back track to do stuff you'd easily kill without it if you focused on other options. Also katanas can't stagger worth shit. Though they are great for pvp since you can't block them easily and lag stabbing is king. But for pve, almost nothing bleeds before dying of actual damage anyways, and staggering is way more useful.

The zwei is pretty decent as a pve weapon honestly, I just think there are better options that achieve the same goals. Stun lock is the most important factor imo and one handed axes/maces seem to be the best category to me. I'd only prefer to go with a weapon that slow and stat hungry if it gave me a huge advantage like an early black knight weapon drop.

Zlaja

Arcane
But for pve, almost nothing bleeds before dying of actual damage anyways

On my last playthrough Stray Demon took MASSIVE bleeding damage from the Bandit Dagger I used. He went down so fast thanks to that I was just :eek: at the end of the fight.

SerratedBiz

Arcane
But for pve, almost nothing bleeds before dying of actual damage anyways

On my last playthrough Stray Demon took MASSIVE bleeding damage from the Bandit Dagger I used. He went down so fast thanks to that I was just :eek: at the end of the fight.

You can't bleed all bosses though, and anything that's not a boss is probably more easily killed by just hitting it harder (than with Bandit's Knife) or plain hitting it (with the katana-likes).

Self-Ejected

AngryEddy

Self-Ejected
You can get bleed procs on the Stray Demons, but you might as well just use a power weapon like a Black Knight Great Axe, or some other kind of Black Knight weapon. You'll do damage faster than bleed/critical procs.

Damned Registrations

They're also pretty much the only bleedable boss. Taurus Demon too, but you can plunge him to death anyways. If you can bleed any other bosses it's probably way more trouble than it's worth trying to land that many hits in quick succession. I think they just made those early ones bleedable in case you hadn't found a bow yet, and they expect you to arrow everything else to death if you're larping a thief. Quelaag actually has a weakness to bows apparently.

Chuck Norris

Augur
Dark Souls II has just been announced at VGAs. Brace yourselves for the sequel to the best Japanese shit ever.

ShlongMaster

Educated
The video has been removed. I want it. I hunger. GIVE ME IT. I WILL NOT WAIT. I HUNGER :x

Yeah, those videos are getting removed pretty fast. Hopefully this one lasts.

Edit: This one got removed like half a minute after I posted it, if anyone really wants to find the new ones that are still up just search dark souls 2 on youtube and filter it to clips added today, they don't seem to last very long though.

roll-a-die

Magister
Yea Jaesun there were dragons before.

However, it looks like they are going for a more direct story, which is a bad thing, because the strength of the Souls series has been in gameplay, and indirect storytelling evolving from that gameplay.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom