Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Metro 2033

It's fitting how you spend most of the game following rail roads.

Peter

Arcane
Finished the game. Really grew on me. Didn't really enjoy it too much in the beginning, but now I'd probably say it's one of the best games I've played in the last couple of years.

All the gameplay stuff I complained about before (gunplay and stealth) just took getting used to. I thought the gunplay was shit because the guns were shit. Once you get some second-tier weapons, the shooting gets a lot better. Gunfights can get really frantic and brutal, especially in the few more open areas. I still don't like the fact that mutants don't react to bullets though. A shriek, a little kickback or a bigger blood splatter would tell me that I'm actually hitting something without changing the gameplay too much.

Speaking of mutants, Librarians were a really cool enemy (to those of you who don't know: they won't attack if you stand still while they examine you and don't turn your back to them afterwards). Why more games don't use interesting enemy gimmicks is beyond me.

Stealth also works a lot better than I thought at first, though maybe it has to do with me buying the stealth suit. I got used to using throwing knives, and the silenced weapons work well too (if the head isn't protected by a helmet of course). It's kinda weird that you can't use the knife for a melee stealth kill, though. And yeah, it seems like enemies don't instantly know where you are at all times after getting caught. I recall doing some flanking while they were searching my last known position.

Story was pretty neat too, but the star here is the atmosphere and the way that the story is told. Had a couple of really cool moments that westerns devs wouldn't dare do because it would upset the player (like the level 'Cursed', the library or getting dumped in a pitch black tunnel after your companion was killed and your cart capsizes). I don't really play horror games though, so take that with a grain of salt.

Got the bad ending, btw. It's rare to see a game where you have to work for your good ending nowadays, so that's pretty cool.

Overall, I give it :obviously: :obviously: :obviously: :obviously: out of :obviously: :obviously: :obviously: :obviously: :obviously:

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Peter said:
Finished the game. Really grew on me. […] All the gameplay stuff I complained about before (gunplay and stealth) just took getting used to.

Told you :smug: Glad to know you enjoyed it.

And about the story, one of the most surprising moments for me (because it worked!) was to find the lone child in the devastated station. Taking care of him by carrying him on the back was nice because it impaired your movements but at the same time the kid would call if there was a mutant approaching from behind. Was done nicely.

Edit: oh and you can use the knive for stealth kills, it's just that it requires you to be very careful and in the end it's easier to use the throwing knives.

Peter

Arcane
Heh, I thought that was the most annoying part, though maybe because I opted for English VA, where the kid was super annoying. I know Russki is the way to go with this game, but I don't know the language well enough and I didn't want to focus on subtitles too much. Maybe on the next playthrough.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
That's what I did. English first then Russian, else you'll miss lots of stuff. The kid in English has indeed an annoying voice but I still found the whole section very interesting. That's also one of the nice thing about this game: it constantly avoids some sort of routine by giving you something new to do after a while. Some corridors are full of mutants, others are mostly empty and you can explore but the air is poisonous and thus you are limited by your mask, or you may find hostile humans on your way and can use stealth, or you're in a corridor with monsters but got a kid on your back and thus can't move freely, unless it's a last-stand, or maybe you're exploring a "town", etc. It does wonder for the pace, the atmosphere, and fleshing the world.

Edit: Valve should take lessons from Metro 2033. When playing it I kept feelt that this is the game HL2 tried to be.

ohWOW

Sucking on dicks and being proud of it
Dumbfuck Queued
Yeah, Metro kicks ass.

Too bad I collected all golden bullets 3 times and still didn't get the fucking achievement. You have to keep them all the time, not spend them, apparently. Fuck this.

I wanted to replay this game actually but now I'm getting weird stuttering /frame skipping, and nothing I do to graphics settings can change it. I googled about this and seems like I'm far from the only one with this annoying issue. A bit of a bummer, this shit.

latexmonkeys

Augur
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I wanted to replay this game actually but now I'm getting weird stuttering /frame skipping, and nothing I do to graphics settings can change it. I googled about this and seems like I'm far from the only one with this annoying issue. A bit of a bummer, this shit.

I just installed metro recently and while not experiencing stuttering, the mouse lag made it unplayable.

I just installed metro recently and while not experiencing stuttering, the mouse lag made it unplayable.

Well I didn't have that. If you force V. Sync in this game you also need to force triple buffering with D3DOverrider. Not saying that is necessarily the cause, but just in case..

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I played this for I think and hour or so? (I'd have to check my STEAM). I uninstalled it an never looked back. I did not like it.

latexmonkeys

Augur
Patron

Well I didn't have that. If you force V. Sync in this game you also need to force triple buffering with D3DOverrider. Not saying that is necessarily the cause, but just in case..

I actually had vsync off, but turning it on fixed my mouse lag! Counterintuitive I know, as the opposite has usually been the case in most games.

I'm not sure I'll stick with it at this point though. Cut scenes and tiny, linear areas without much game play are trying my patience. Hopefully it loosens up a bit after the early areas?

ohWOW

Sucking on dicks and being proud of it
Dumbfuck Queued
I played this for I think and hour or so? (I'd have to check my STEAM). I uninstalled it an never looked back. I did not like it.
I was fighting with boredom at the beginning too, but the first surface level held me back and I was charmed with the library level.

Sodafish

Arcane
I tried this briefly but hated the way the guns handled, and the story just seemed boring and pretty incoherent. Also, checkpoint saving in a game of this nature is incredibly annoying.

Dickie

Arcane
Patron
Same here. You don't really get to do anything in the first hour, so I got bored.

Garm

Learned
I got a copy in the THQ Humble Bundle sale and I just beat it. This game has to be one of the most on-rails FPSes I've ever played. It's got a cool atmosphere, but that doesn't make up for the terrible fucking gameplay. For anyone thinking about playing it still: don't, just watch a Let's Play of it.

Chuck Norris

Augur
This is what happens when they give up free shit. People play it for an hour and judge it based on that.
Yeah, you might not like it at first. But the same thing can be said about some of the best games of all time. Give it a chance.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I am not a big fan of genre but if this is atmospheric enough will give it a try.

Atmosphere is certainly something this game doesn't lack.

I'm in Library, shotguns are useless except pointblank in which case you better off punching the fucker with butt of gun or bayonet him but Kalach and the Futuristic AK-112 are great guns. My favorite Horror level so far were Ghost filled tunnels and catacombs. Fighting so many humans in setting where only 40 000 men survived ITZ feels a bit Derp though. Surprisingly linerality in Metro setting works fine for me.

Self-Ejected

BlitzKitchen

Self-Ejected
Patron
Codex 2012
metro_guide_eng.GIF

Garm

Learned
This is what happens when they give up free shit. People play it for an hour and judge it based on that.
Yeah, you might not like it at first. But the same thing can be said about some of the best games of all time. Give it a chance.

Metro isn't even close to being the best game of all time. It's basically a glorified graphics demo. You literally spend more time following NPCs and watching cutscenes than actually controlling your character; and even then, when you controller you character and can actually go around in a level, it lasts all of 15 minutes.

Chuck Norris

Augur

Metro isn't even close to being the best game of all time. It's basically a glorified graphics demo. You literally spend more time following NPCs and watching cutscenes than actually controlling your character; and even then, when you controller you character and can actually go around in a level, it lasts all of 15 minutes.
I didn't say that. Actually, Metro is a 7.5/10 product in my book. I wasn't defending the game. I was criticizing the way some people judge games based on the short time they spend with it. There are lots of highly praised games that I couldn't stand for two hours, but I never dissed them. (Unless I had a mighty fine reason).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom