Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News CD Projekt release Cyberpunk 2077 teaser trailer

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
IMHO, as much as I would love to place some serious 70's krautrock on that trailer,
also krautrock is thematically appropriate because it was all about rejection of the past and embracing an unexplored, progressive future. it was almost science fiction music.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
but that stuff from System Shock 1 is pretty much blegh.

BEHEAD THOSE WHO INSULT ERIC BROSIUS :x

And you know what would work great as a substitute for this shit music? Either this:

or this

And since I'm way too fucking lazy and/or incompetent, I won't give you any stupid remix, you'll have to start this while lowering the teaser volume to minimum (which you should be doing by default anyway) :rpgcodex:

Unwanted

Kalin

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
The teaser video is pretty shitty, just a couple of concept art pics with gimmicky animation and god-awful music. If they wanted to do something cool the sex-doll should've actually done something, sliced the cop's arm off for example with one of those lovely blades. So much wasted potential there.

The art itself is good-looking though, so thumbs up for that.

scrambles

Educated
Disappointing that the look and tone they are going for is so "sleek" and modern, the trailer doesn't have one bit of the retro 80/90's charm of Blade Runner or Ghost in the Shell (1995), even the music sounds like some generic US chart music.

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
but that stuff from System Shock 1 is pretty much blegh.

BEHEAD THOSE WHO INSULT ERIC BROSIUS :x

And you know what would work great as a substitute for this shit music?

You are right. Those two tracks you gave are decent enough (just barely) to replace that godawful music from SS 1 intro. :troll:

Mrowak

Arcane
Disappointing that the look and tone they are going for is so "sleek" and modern, the trailer doesn't have one bit of the retro 80/90's charm of Blade Runner or Ghost in the Shell (1995), even the music sounds like some generic US chart music.

My guess is that simple the vision of cyberpunk future shifted significantly from 80s and 90s till now. Currently half of the stuff in the old cyberpunk books are pretty much obsolete. More sleek but also grime future simply makes sense contextwise - it is simply plausible enough if you carefully watch the contemporary trends. Stuff like clearly visible machine transplants simply look ludicurous and are impractical. It's safe to say that unless there's some apocalypse along the way nothing like this should take place.

If they go for hard sci-fi this shit would be out of place. Putting it here would be 'artistic' pandering to 80s and 90s demographic, which would be pointless for them (both because the devs are are not from the demograpic and that it would be marketing suicide). I guess that's why they changed the name from Cyberpunk 2020 to Cyberpunk 2077.

Mrowak

Arcane
BEHEAD THOSE WHO INSULT CRUSADER: NO REGRET :x

Now, Crusader was a fun game I played the shit out of on my old 486DX/100 machine. That doesn't change the fact that music didn't have any impact on me, even when I was a kid. I could appreciate the music even from the earlier video game era (e.g. I love the themes from Betrayal at Krondor) but this shit was just forgettable.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
I guess CD Projekts soundtrack choice for the teaser and Mrowaks reaction proves that Poland cannot into music. :lol:
Is it by some local band since you all like it so much?

Mrowak

Arcane
I guess CD Projekts soundtrack choice for the teaser and Mrowaks reaction proves that Poland cannot into music. :lol:

No, it's Codex that cannot into music. :troll: Btw, other Poles here are all pretty critical of this trailer.

Hellraiser

Arcane

It's not, the trailer is clearly targeted at the broader market which explains the (shitty) music choice. It's utterly generic like from a random recent Hollywood action movie trailer.

The thing is that CDP RED could do better because they did this a few months ago:

Which was pretty fucking good as far as the music choice goes.

Mrowak Well to be honest a lot of things could have worked with the slow-mo images in the trailer. They didn't need to go full hard-cock electronic, you could get a string quartet and just have some electronic sample in the background. Hell you could do a lot of things and even vocals could work, but the ones in the trailer are out of place period. They conflict with the "tragedy in the making" nature of the scene, it required something more subtle, gentler, slower, less in your face. Instead you could as well add the song used to a more dynamic action trailer out of a random movie (the new bond ones come to mind) and it would fit even better.

In essence you're looking at a scene where someone goes over the edge after they implant themselves too much. There is a technological aspect to it related to the core Cyberpunk nature of the setting. You could, hell you should in some way accent that "replacing the human element with the synthetic" theme in the music. Yes the lyrics somewhat relate to the choice made, but this is a specific choice of going trans-human and the lyrics might as well talk about cheating on your girlfriend. Not even at one point is anything about losing humanity (which was also a PnP mechanic in Cyberpunk 2020) mentioned in the lyrics. It's kind of related with that personal responsibility bit, but it could be anything and frankly it in no way accents the specific nature of the tragedy shown.

NewFag

Educated
Just throwing my voice in. The original music was ear grating and annoying. The System Shock theme needs to be a notch louder, but the Blade Runner theme probably would fit more if the dialogue was removed and the musical timing actually matched the video.

Mrowak

Arcane

It's not, the trailer is clearly targeted at the broader market which explains the (shitty) music choice. It's utterly generic like from a random recent Hollywood action movie trailer.

The thing is that CDP RED could do better because they did this a few months ago:

Which was pretty fucking good as far as the music choice goes.

Mrowak Well to be honest a lot of things could have worked with the slow-mo images in the trailer. They didn't need to go full hard-cock electronic, you could get a string quartet and just have some electronic sample in the background. Hell you could do a lot of things and even vocals could work, but the ones in the trailer are out of place period. They conflict with the "tragedy in the making" nature of the scene, it required something more subtle, gentler, slower, less in your face. Instead you could as well add the song used to a more dynamic action trailer out of a random movie (the new bond ones come to mind) and it would fit even better.

In essence you're looking at a scene where someone goes over the edge after they implant themselves too much. There is a technological aspect to it related to the core Cyberpunk nature of the setting. You could, hell you should in some way accent that "replacing the human element with the synthetic" theme in the music. Yes the lyrics somewhat relate to the choice made, but this is a specific choice of going trans-human and the lyrics might as well talk about cheating on your girlfriend. Not even at one point is anything about losing humanity (which was also a PnP mechanic in Cyberpunk 2020) mentioned in the lyrics. It's kind of related with that personal responsibility bit, but it could be anything and frankly it in no way accents the specific nature of the tragedy shown.

It's clear to me that this trailer was very meticously woven around the lyrics. I think that it purposfully created the dissonance between what you see and what you get at the same time punctuating each and every event in the teaser, creating the sense of ambiguity.

Your observations are interesting and indeed your take on the trailer is reasonable. Perhaps, if you were the one making it, it would be for the best. However, I noticed yet again typical Codexian "wishful thinking". Basically: "it's not the way envisioned it in my head, so it's shit" or even worse "it's does not fit the familiar paradigm, so it's a betrayal". It's fine if there's a follow up to your observations, but as it is, it is all amounts to Codexian bitching about nothing. If you won't change it no one else will.

The trailer has a positive effect on me and many others, so at least we are certain it works on some level.

On the side note, personally I laugh my ass off at the attempts to replace original soundtrack with some random electro music from some other game, which does not support anything in the teaser (when it comes to theme, ambience and general subject) and calling it an improvement. It's just trying too hard.

scrambles

Educated
:lol: See, this is why I like CD Projekt.
For real? I'm not agreeing with the guy in that article, but I personally didn't like the plots of the Witcher games much because CDP played it completely, 100% serious business and macho. Cyberpunk settings without some sense of humor are quite soulless.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
I loved the music and thought it fits very well, until those distortion guitars kicked in.
The actual trailer looks nice but I am not very interested in another 3rd person shooter with a boring story.

Hellraiser

Arcane
There is intentional dissonance as part of a coherent artistic vision and there is simply not fitting at all. IMO it is the latter case here. Baginski's crew did a good job on the visuals, the minor details like the stock prices of Cyberpunk 2020 corps and the overall look of Night City is great. But the audio track choice failed to deliver what they tried to show.

The subject is interesting and yes it wasn't what I expected for the teaser, but it is still a pretty good idea and one of the more interesting theme from the setting. But the audio choice messed up the pace. Sure the visuals were somewhat synchronized, but that's pretty much what you expect as you always try to build around the track. If you're not doing an original composition tailor-made for it that is. The problem is it doesn't fit the slowly unraveling tragedy which is what I think was the goal of the creators. Unless they just added shit because they thought it was cool and I'm just looking for deeper artistic message when there is none. We'll probably find out when the inevitable author's commentary pops up on the Net.

The irony is that the same problem I have with the pacing of the audio is what plagues almost every remix posted in this topic. Only felipepepe (unsurprisingly) went in the right direction. Obviously it was still far from a perfect choice but it did that right when everybody else including CDP RED did it wrong.

Mrowak

Arcane
There is intentional dissonance as part of a coherent artistic vision and there is simply not fitting at all. IMO it is the latter case here. Baginski's crew did a good job on the visuals, the minor details like the stock prices of Cyberpunk 2020 corps and the overall look of Night City is great. But the audio track choice failed to deliver what they tried to show.

The subject is interesting and yes it wasn't what I expected for the teaser, but it is still a pretty good idea and one of the more interesting theme from the setting. But the audio choice messed up the pace. Sure the visuals were somewhat synchronized, but that's pretty much what you expect as you always try to build around the track. If you're not doing an original composition tailor-made for it that is. The problem is it doesn't fit the slowly unraveling tragedy which is what I think was the goal of the creators. Unless they just added shit because they thought it was cool and I'm just looking for deeper artistic message when there is none. We'll probably find out when the inevitable author's commentary pops up on the Net.

The irony is that the same problem I have with the pacing of the audio is what plagues almost every remix posted in this topic. Only @felipepe (unsurprisingly) went in the right direction. Obviously it was still far from a perfect choice but it did that right when everybody else including CDP RED did it wrong.

When you put it that way I must agree. It's just for some random reason that music works for me (I actually kept rewatching the teaser just to hear it again). And you are right about the remixes here as well. Only felipepepe came close.

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
So is this going to be a third person cover shooter? Have they said much about the gameplay? Fingers crossed it doesn't end up some ME2-like shit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom