Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Hey Roguey, Swen Vincke says he didn't run out of money for Divinity: Original Sin

hiver

the RpgCodex forums, your daily antidote to thinking you’re getting anywhere in the world of CRPGs, unless your name happens to be Chris Avellone.

Does he mean the "I prefer graphical representation and visuals instead written dialogue",:patriot: Avellone?

You guys better find someone with balls, otherwise the codex will end up as another game promoting site, not to mention the article might turn out as this travesty from a well known game promoting site:
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/01/18/ken-levine-and-the-conversation-part-one/
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/01/23/ken-levine-the-conversation-part-two/

Moribund

A droglike
So did he just say PLANE TICKETS! to Roguey? Who btw doesn't speak for codex or any people who aren't weird stalkers.

MORE MONEY could just mean more time to work on game, and KS is probably going to be sort of a marketing thing for bigger games now, though it's not really what I want it to turn into. But it's not quite as if witcher guys went to KS when they have team of 200 working on witcher 2 so in this case whatever.

Seems like a pretty cool/sane guy who can deal with criticism, unlike the screaming histrionic vaginas of places like bioware and bethesduh.

Menckenstein

Lunacy of Caen: Todd Reaver
Does this mean that Roguey is gonna poop on Swen's chest?

I hate Kickstarter by the way. Greedy fuckers.

ColCol

Arcane
He said his blog was a response to my question on their Facebook page, he was probably full of shit, but it sure makes a lady feel special :oops:.

kazgar

Arcane
We're taking you up on your offer, Mr Vincke. A highly qualified Codexian Approved, Real RPG Investigator™ is being contacted as we speak. We're even trying to source a native Belgonium speaker so as there's no "google translation issues". You need to be aware however, that this highly trained individual will be immune to the mind-numbing effect of Dorito's and Mountain Dew and will not be swayed by arguments of "this is just alpha" and "that will work better in the final version".

You have been warned.

If said Investigator doesn't take a packet of doritos (empty or full) with them and place it obviously within any photos taken, they'll be doing the codex a disservice.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Gragt manly pics will overshadow the alpha build like the arrows blotting out the sun.

Stabwound

Arcane
Sven said:
For those not familiar with the RPGCodex, it’s where you go if you’re looking for a hefty dose of RPG critical analysis wrapped in imaginative language (often involving gastrointestinal issues)

I admit, I laughed.

LundB

Mistakes were made.
I stand by my idea of sending the incorruptible (except when it comes to BIS) Skyway, or a Codexer wealthy enough to not be impressed by a few bathtubs full of money and an inviting smile from Swen.

If said Investigator doesn't take a packet of doritos (empty or full) with them and place it obviously within any photos taken, they'll be doing the codex a disservice.

This, along with a half-empty bottle of Mountain Dew, would be hilarious. I figure Larian can take a joke.

Does this mean that Roguey is gonna poop on Swen's chest?

I hate Kickstarter by the way. Greedy fuckers.

The fact that Kickstarter gets away with taking 5% (and then another 5% for Amazon) from even multimillion dollar projects is insane. It made sense for the comparatively small projects Kickstarter originally hosted, but for these big ones it's ridiculous.

Sure they have a massive brand recognition advantage at the moment, but all it takes is one big name company or individual (anyone less significant couldn't overcome the name recognition, see: indiegogo's poor position) to see potential and set up a rival that takes a less insane cut, and many of the big projects will start cropping up there instead. It seems inevitable unless they lower the percentages for bigger projects to avoid milking the cashcow to death.

Unless the KS bubble bursts first. I figure there will be a temporary lull until the big name projects start coming out, and the state they arrive in will determine whether crowdfunded gaming dies or experiences another surge of enthusiasm.

Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
I stand by my idea of sending the incorruptible (except when it comes to BIS) Skyway, or a Codexer wealthy enough to not be impressed by a few bathtubs full of money and an inviting smile from Swen.

I'd be more concerned about the softer bias that would come from making a personal connection with the Larian Team. Once you see they are human beings, it becomes that much harder to shred their dreams into sufficiently small pieces. So we should send the most autistic codexer around. Someone so asocial that their inability to empathize with the devs borders on sociapathy. As I'm typing this, I realize it sounds like I'm building towards recommending a particular person, but I'm not.

Lancehead

Liturgist
I fear this is a trap, Swen just wants someone else in the future to write that

Specifically, the RpgCodex forums, your daily antidote to thinking you’re getting anywhere in the world of CRPGs, unless your name happens to be Swen Vincke.

LundB

Mistakes were made.

I'd be more concerned about the softer bias that would come from making a personal connection with the Larian Team. Once you see they are human beings, it becomes that much harder to shred their dreams into sufficiently small pieces. So we should send the most autistic codexer around. Someone so asocial that their inability to empathize with the devs borders on sociapathy. As I'm typing this, I realize it sounds like I'm building towards recommending a particular person, but I'm not.

We don't need an autist. Skyway grew up in the Soviet Union, so he had all empathy beaten out of him by the KGB at an early age. Any Codexer who makes enough money to not be impressed by Larian's pitiful bribe is likely used to accepting any grief they've caused others as they ascend the socioeconomic ladder as a necessary sacrifice, I know I am.

Or we could just send someone who really knows the ins and outs of RPG development like no one else, and has no use for the feelings of pathetic Sapiens. However I doubt he'd be willing to go that far from his bunker, lest ITZ break out and he become stranded.

IronicNeurotic

Arbiter
the RpgCodex forums, your daily antidote to thinking you’re getting anywhere in the world of CRPGs, unless your name happens to be Chris Avellone.

Does he mean the "I prefer graphical representation and visuals instead written dialogue",:patriot: Avellone?/

I still don't get why this is a big deal or even an issue. AFAIK Avellone only ever said that in regards to storytellng.

And its not like thats wrong if only a boring, obvious statement. Visual storytelling works better/easier to bring emotions across? No shit, sherlock.

That doesn't mean he now only wants to make Visual Popamole simulators with Full Voice Acting. Because he doesn't.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I fear this is a trap, Swen just wants someone else in the future to write that

Specifically, the RpgCodex forums, the place that gained wide spread Internet fame after one of its staff had been killed and eaten by a group of Belgian cannibals.

Wait, that's right. After all, in Belgium they eat jewish children.

Infinitron might be just the man for the job...

Irxy

Arcane
Project: Eternity
KS is good for publicity these days even if you don't need any money.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Weirdly enough, I've never been to Larian, and they're right around the corner.

Also it's true. The RPGCodex is basically a free focus testing group. :salute: Helps save money in what is no doubt a scant budget!

Fun update. Swen's ranting ways are always fun.

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Specifically, the RpgCodex forums, your daily antidote to thinking you’re getting anywhere in the world of CRPGs, unless your name happens to be Chris Avellone.

:drink:

Codex 2013: Prestigiousness rising

------------>8-------------

since vincke doesn't actually answer the question "why kickstarter?" that leaves me to conclude that he is just in it to milk some fanbois off their money.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom