Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Wasteland 2 Kickstarter Update #23: Gameplay Video!

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Few things, skill use should be automatic and context sensitive, so trying to open a locked door would trigger the lockpick skill instead of having to select it from the menu bar... then the camera... i don´t like the angle or the default zoom level... the the graphics... meh.

On another point, UI looks like crap and the key word system was a bit weird.

Still long ways off, so there's hope.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
One thing I don't get is the complaints about the GUI size. Am I the only one here who liked the big interface elements of older games like Might & Magic or Dreamweb?

Codex is used to playing old games with high resolutions they were never intended to be played in. People have gotten used to tiny UIs.

hiver

The devs will adjust it. This is not a finished god damn product mr. Dweller.
I'm discussing the video here, not what I hope the developers will do or what the final product might be like.
For once?
but I hope it would become better.
I am saying that this is not a finished product in any sense and that there is still plenty of time to improve things - and to help the devs realize what they should improve.
I am NOT saying it WILL be better. Since unlike many around here and internets at large - i do not have a time machine.

being able to shoot something in RT without entering TB.
One of the tricks to speed up things, especially when dealing with low level enemies, i gather.
There are better ways to handle it.
Who says there arent?
See above.
See what above? I am SAYING this doesnt need to be the only way to speed up dealing with low level enemies.
Or that it will make game and combat too easy. See - adjusting enemy vision cones and the fact that enemies can also use the same feature to make the combat harder.

Well, not hard to 'sneak' on things considering that you can see or hit them from afar while they can't see you at all.
Thats one lowly bug, not "the enemies".

But you do enter TB after taking a shot.
And enemies should be able to do that to the player, which will even things out.
Not the point.
The POINT.
Combat design is the point, my good chap.[/quote]
Yes Ubersturmfuhrer - yahwoll! The combat design is THIS HIGH on the list of priorities! Therefore enemies ambushing you would do much good to combat design.

Hopefully they will implement that - and we can surely ask if that will be so and gently advise them if maybe they overlook that detail.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
I would imagine that there's quite a difference between a on-site studio production (with a 3 mil budget, at least) and something like Dead State or AoD. I don't understand why comparisons are being drawn. Even further away would be Obsidian, but mostly because of experience and budget reasons.
Even among big studios, how you implement stuff into a game and how you split things up during pre-production, and when you consider yourself to have left pre-production, is vastly different.
In any case, I haven't heard Chris Keenan say "everything's ready! time to just implement all the written content!"
Infinitron I'm fairly sure that during production, they will be cutting and adding things. Even if it's just smaller things like doors and skill checks here and there. Entire areas and stuff being cut from games is hardly unheard of.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
In any case, I haven't heard Chris Keenan say "everything's ready! time to just implement all the written content!"

He did talk about this: http://wasteland.inxile-entertainment.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=3005

Each one of those will have a different drop dead date. Design will be the furthest out, since it requires so much integration with other features. Our development plan was to break up the 18 month cycle into 3 parts of 6 months each. We wanted to have all level design done by the end of October, which we were pretty close on. The next 6 months is pure production where we implement the level design and any other gameplay systems. After that, we will spend 6 months in pure polish and iteration. The writing is relatively easy to change as long as it's just text and not conversation flow. We only have to worry about localization there. Animation can be tweaked fairly late in production as it's usually not a major risk if it's just tuning. We wouldn't want to add new animation trees or states but will be able to polish it fairly late in a turn based game.

Tigranes

Arcane
I thought I was clear, but clearly, I fucked up English.

I meant fuck all the whining about how you can rotate the camera.

No, no, you were very clearly dumb.

Also, not sure if there was any mention of it, but fuck, they have a grid, and a hexagonal one too. That alone is fucking awesome. :salute:

Wait, are you saying I should be raging about rotating the camera? If so, heh.

Yeah, hexes are nice.

MCA
PS. Do me a favor, wait until the game is released before you start tagging me again. I made a quick comment, had to explain it over and over again, and every time something is shown, people tag me:

- New concept art - WHAT DO YOU HAVE TO SAY NOW, VAULT DWELLER?!
- First mockup screen - MWAHAHA, VAULT DWELLER, LOOK HOW WRONG YOU WERE?!!
- First shoot 'em up gameplay video - WHERE IS YOUR GOD TIM CAIN NOW, VAULT DWELLER?!!!

Hey, hey, Vault Dweller ! Camera in AOD demo sucks. It looks like it may suck in WL2 as well! Do you feel better about matching a $3M project now?

:troll:

Hobz

Savant
Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
One thing I don't get is the complaints about the GUI size. Am I the only one here who liked the big interface elements of older games like Might & Magic or Dreamweb?

Well back then you were most likely playing on a 15 to 19" monitor, devs had to make it big to be readable, just like you have to make big UIs and texts for console games right now. If I can avoid loosing half my screen to health bars, skills icon and AP indicators, i'm all for it.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014

He did talk about this: http://wasteland.inxile-entertainment.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=3005

Each one of those will have a different drop dead date. Design will be the furthest out, since it requires so much integration with other features. Our development plan was to break up the 18 month cycle into 3 parts of 6 months each. We wanted to have all level design done by the end of October, which we were pretty close on. The next 6 months is pure production where we implement the level design and any other gameplay systems. After that, we will spend 6 months in pure polish and iteration. The writing is relatively easy to change as long as it's just text and not conversation flow. We only have to worry about localization there. Animation can be tweaked fairly late in production as it's usually not a major risk if it's just tuning. We wouldn't want to add new animation trees or states but will be able to polish it fairly late in a turn based game.
Looks like they're well on schedule, then. He's a little vague on what the last 6 months actually entail, as "polish" sometimes have meant severe cutting and adding of content.

Lancehead

Liturgist

Codex is used to playing old games with high resolutions they were never intended to be played in. People have gotten used to tiny UIs.
Not that, I think it's bigger than necessary. For example, the health bar next to portraits is horizontal when vertical would do, eliminating empty space. The weapon window could be smaller, making the text window slightly shorter and a bit wider.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Who the hell cares what you bolded? You commenting on something which is usually one of the very last things a studio focuses on in an early gameplay footage highlights your continued idiocy. Period. No amount of edgy posturing changes that.

What does "early gameplay footage" have to do with the voice acting? Is voice acting gameplay now? They decided to showcase radio broadcasts, most of which have nothing to do with the gameplay footage (meaning they wanted to show them for their own sake) and now dumb cunts like you say I'm not allowed to criticize it because it might not be final? When the fuck am I supposed to criticize it? After the game's released when there's nothing they can really do about it?

34608403.jpg

I would not suck cock for money, and I sure as fuck won't suck it for free. If an element of the game as showcased to the public is shit, I will say it is shit. This is the Codex. I don't scale to your level.

Captain Shrek

The great things about the video is that it has a rotatable camera, hex based grids, skills that are tied to usage and hopefully a shitload t of content since they are saying that there is a lot of reactive text. The flanking maneuvers are nice, covers are great and its good to see the beloved action points used in a game besides AoD.

The year of the second coming!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom