Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Shroud of the Avatar - Lord British's Not-Ultima Online 2

BobtheTree

Savant
This game could be good, I like some of what he says about not hand-holding the player and making questing more open, but when I see that footage it just looks so terribly dull and uninspired. Add in the BS tiers, and there's no way I'm backing this. I'll wait for release and see what the game ends up being like.

random_encounter

Educated
Much respect for Garriott and Ultima, but right now, the initial pitch doesn't seem half as compelling as others were on their first day, either. Also:

If you are playing in single player "offline" mode, you'll still have to connect occasionally to get updates and world status. In single player mode you'll still have your house and see other people's houses and banners and world effects but not the people. Likewise, they'll see your house. :)

Mortmal

Arcane
I dont think any of us really believed in an an ultima 7 part 3 , well i still had a tiny tiny hope about it. The beggining of the video was promising ,showing al lthose old good games, then a big warning in red letters appears in my head as i hear "everchanging world" (always a bad sign or vaporware), and completely got lost at logically constructed internally consistent and socially relevant stories.. well id.. rather do dungeonering and stuff...

As for the pledge the amount of money required to just get an in game house are exuberant. 500$ to get a tax free pixellated house...You remember the kind of shanty towns it was in UO... 500$ for that.. shit no. I have yet to see something convincing me its better than all those old and free UO shards.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Much respect for Garriott and Ultima, but right now, the initial pitch doesn't seem half as compelling as others were on their first day, either. Also:

If you are playing in single player "offline" mode, you'll still have to connect occasionally to get updates and world status. In single player mode you'll still have your house and see other people's houses and banners and world effects but not the people. Likewise, they'll see your house. :)

So basically playing singleplayer is crippled since you can't do anything that affects the "world status."

Awesome game.

And obviously the great stories they'll craft will be variations of "Bring me 10 friendly ducks".

Hobz

Savant
Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Jaesun is acting all "fuck that MMO, you can't beat my Torment" but we all know if they have Ziets designing daily quests as a stretch goal he'll fap furiously and pledge the rest of his money.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Jaesun is acting all "fuck that MMO, you can't beat my Torment" but we all know if they have Ziets designing daily quests as a stretch goal he'll fap furiously and pledge the rest of his money.
The conflicting feelings would probably cause him to commit suicide.

Stabwound

Arcane
Looks like Ultima Codex has some utterly pointless gameplay videos: http://sota.ultimacodex.com/media/videos/

To be totally honest, the game might have some potential; I like the overland map and Garriott's dislike toward quest compasses and that kind of garbage. And that it's obviously meant to be an Ultima game by another name. Unfortunately the combat looks incredibly awful, like 1999-era Korean MMORPG combat and the NPC interaction looks like an aspie simulator.

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
Codex 2012 Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014
oh this will crash and burn so badly that Caen will look like a crowdfunding genius...

LizardKing

Scholar
Is this a joke or something?
Bland MMO with shitty graphics. Underwhelming.

The saddest part of the trailer is when he praises Ultima series and shows clips from Ultima 9.

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
Ah fuck it. I'm going to try and remain optimistic...
Looks like Ultima Codex has some utterly pointless gameplay videos: http://sota.ultimacodex.com/media/videos/
To be totally honest, the game might have some potential; I like the overland map and Garriott's dislike toward quest compasses and that kind of garbage. And that it's obviously meant to be an Ultima game by another name. Unfortunately the combat looks incredibly awful, like 1999-era Korean MMORPG combat and the NPC interaction looks like an aspie simulator.
It hasn't even been funded yet. I don't think the gameplay footage is at all representative of the final game.

CWagner

Augur
Finally something on KS that saves me money by making me not want to spend even a penny for it. Thanks!

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Stop making me regret doing this.

edit : I just backed Torment, and late-backed Shadowrun and Project Eternity to make me feel better.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
It'll probably get funded.

I'm quite surprised, given Garriot's empty, dead eyes and soulless salesman's voice in the video. But I guess aspies wouldn't notice.

Stabwound

Arcane
Of course it's going to get funded. If nothing else, he presented a working prototype and he's a well-known figure even if he hasn't done much of anything lately.

I wonder if the Ultima Online fanbase is bigger than that of the single-player Ultima games.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Of course it's going to get funded. If nothing else, he presented a working prototype and he's a well-known figure even if he hasn't done much of anything lately.

I wonder if the Ultima Online fanbase is bigger than that of the single-player Ultima games.
It's not bigger, it just has lesser standards.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
I don't think UO fans will be interested unless they can kill people and steal the fruits of their hard work.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom