Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Information Might & Magic X Teased by Ubisoft, To Be Revealed at PAX East

Stabwound

Arcane
Does anyone know who did the design work at NWC? I liked M&M strictly for the combat, which just felt right. I'd love to see those guys start a kickstarter project, but not for M&M. For something new.
A cursory glance at the Mobygames page of MM8 shows that most/all of the designers/producers fell off the map after Heroes 4 or MM9 and have done nothing since. I don't know how accurate Mobygames is, though. I'd love to see Jon Van Caneghem on this thing but it doesn't seem likely.

Moribund

A droglike
I am finding it hard to get too excited.

Not any of the obvious reasons either like:

1. Publishers evil, why do they hate games so much?

2. Might be first person walker/oblivion clone.

3. It seems there's very few competent game makers so even if they do everything we want it will probably get cancelled or be full of bugs.

No, it's just because I think M&M has pretty much done it all. I don't think they can ever top M&M 6 or M&M 7 without making a big departure from the formula or going back to the roots and making it a stepper with complicated dungeons. But we know the actual changes will be make things more simple, lots more annoying cuscenes (especially the awful in-engine ones) and all the other bad crap.

And I liked M&M 8 and 9 (just not as much as 6 and 7 or 1 and 2).

Alex

Arcane
Obsidian worse than Ubisoft? That's harsh.

Well, to be fair, I like Obsidian. A lot. I really disliked what they did in AP, and I feel they have yet to release a game that doesn't have serious drawbacks, usually related to it being "leftovers" from some other dev. Still, I thought they did a great job in Fallout: New Vegas. And I think they showed promise in the NWN2 expansions and KotOR2.

I would object to them because M&M isn't really about what they do well. The only way I see Obsidian releasing a good game here is if they made a completely different kind of game than any of the previous Might & Magics.

Moribund

A droglike
Oh right, I forget obsidian, the obvious thing that trumps all the other obvious things. That alone is more than enough to give up hope.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
So I just took a look at the official Might & Magic Facebook page, and they seem to have started something like a M&M series retrospective just a few days ago:

9661.png
9660.png

Can't be a coincidence either. The hype machine is about to start.

Mortmal

Arcane
So I just took a look at the official Might & Magic Facebook page, and they seem to have started something like a M&M series retrospective just a few days ago:

9661.png
9660.png

Can't be a coincidence either. The hype machine is about to start.

yes i can see the trailer video showing briefly might and magic 1to 7 then proudly and for the longest amount of time Might and magic 9 like garriot did with ultima 9 . Then they will tell us how they will revolutionarize the genre, with awesome visceral action, you will end up with a third person shooter like dark messiah with maybe a few feats or two to customize your character and of course day one dlc to get a new character costume + some new TF2 hat .No permanent connection needed as they learn from sim city debacle but Uplay will be mandatory with online checks every 5 min .

Alex

Arcane
CEOs gathered in their offices
just like witches at black masses
evil minds that plot promotion
sorcerers of decline's construction
in their graves the old series are spinning
as the hype machine keeps turning
death and hatred to mankind
poisoning their brainwashed minds
Oh, Lord yeah!

Indranys

Savant
Meanwhile in Ubisoft HQ...

Ubisoft CEO: What is best in videogame business guys?
The Executives: To crush the original identity of every old titles we bought, slap them with our AAA touch+always online DRM, and to hear the lamentation of their fanboys.

:smug:

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Is it possible that Ubisoft is officially endorsing the unofficial M&M X project that's been going on for a while?

Seems unlikely. From what I understand, Ubisoft has merely given the project its blessing. Here's what they told the project leader a few months ago:

The Might & Magic team as a whole is honoured by the time and energy you and your team are putting in the Children of the Void project. It is truly delightful and humbling to see fans hard at work to continue the tradition of the past Might & Magic games and universe...That being said, using the name “Might & Magic X” for your project is unfortunately an issue with Ubisoft. The name would imply your game is an official Might & Magic product, which could be misleading for the community. Also, there’s always the possibility a Ubisoft-produced Might & Magic X is released in the future...We have no issue however with you continuing the previous storylines or using the pre-Ashan characters. Mentioning the name Might & Magic is also OK as long as the “fan-produced” and “unofficial” nature of the project is obvious.

~Might & Magic Team Representative, Ubisoft Entertainment
By them letting this project go forward just tells me the their reboot "version" of MMX won't look or feel like 1 thru 9 at all but will be "re-imagined" for the next gen. If their game was like the M&Ms of the past they wouldn't want anything like Children of the Void to be out there.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2

I would rather play this

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom