Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Information Might & Magic X Teased by Ubisoft, To Be Revealed at PAX East

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
That's because he's too busy making that RTS for EA.

:troll:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Since they're going with a numbered sequel it seems unlikely to me that they'd change the gameplay too much considering they could just as easily make Dark Messiah 2 or another spin-off. Or they could have acquired brain damage these past few years.

Remember, it's not just a number. It's X, as in, eXtreme. :smug:

_-Ultima-X-Odyssey-PC-_.jpg

Might and Magic X sounds more "important" and "official" than Might and Magic: Subtitle.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite

Might and Magic X sounds more "important" and "official" than Might and Magic: Subtitle.
They could have used this at any time during the past 10 years but chose not to do so.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

They could have used this at any time during the past 10 years but chose not to do so.

Bigger project? Different management? Changing marketplace? Or maybe it's just because this is the first one they're doing in-house at Ubisoft.

Fuck, let's just wait and see.

Stabwound

Arcane
Well like I said http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...evealed-at-pax-east.81392/page-4#post-2551762 as of 2009 they had changed their naming strategy and had no intention of ever naming a game "Might and Magic X" ever again. So something happened between then and now. Kickstarter influenced, perhaps? Not that this will be a kickstarter (I highly doubt it) but maybe they went "oh shucks classic CRPGs are making a resurgence. Hey, what about that Might & Magic series?" :dollarsigns:

I bet it's gonna be utter shit. But still, I will watch this thread and hope for the best. It would be nice if old school was back.

But we all know it's not going to happen. :(

jewboy

Arbiter
Before this new kickstarter trend would anyone have had any hope at all for a project like this? Since it's not a small developer doing a niche kickstarter project it has to suck. The world of major game publishers is still one decline, of pandering to the masses and making money. You can never lose money by underestimating the intelligence of the general public. That was the first thing they learned in business school and it has never failed them.

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
Everything after 5 was kind of bad anyways, so I don't really care if they fuck it up. I'm mostly just astonished that they're reviving it. This is totally out of nowhere. I wonder what the thought processes were. I guess 10 is a nice even number. I'm just kind of confounded. Might and Magic. Maybe it will be good??? Who knows, don't care that much.

Stabwound

Arcane
Before this new kickstarter trend would anyone have had any hope at all for a project like this? Since it's not a small developer doing a niche kickstarter project it has to suck. The world of major game publishers is still one decline, of pandering to the masses and making money. You can never lose money by underestimating the intelligence of the general public. That was the first thing they learned in business school and it has never failed them.
So do you think they're going to pull a bait and switch on the M&M fanbase? Resurrecting a long dead franchise seems awfully odd and suspicious. I'd be inclined to think that they'd target this toward the classic CRPG crowd (probably failing, but still), because why change their naming policy to suddenly allow "Might & Magic X"? My guess is that they saw what's happening with kickstarter and think they can do it too. Without kickstarter and illegitimately.

I do think that at best it's going to be a very retarded version of Might & Magic 9, which in itself was retarded so I guess this puts it at sentience levels of Terri Schaivo.

jewboy

Arbiter
Well it sounds like it's going to be an MMO, but my main point is that if you were skeptical about new projects before the kickstarter miracle there's really no reason to change that attitude because of KS when it comes to major publishers. And I doubt Ubisoft is all that impressed with the kickstarter numbers so far. A few mil is chump change for them. If some of these games make another 5 million after release then they might sit up and take notice. I think the suits are waiting to see how all of this KS stuff pans out. Publishers aren't big fans of taking risks. They look for proven investments for their cash.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Well it sounds like it's going to be an MMO, but my main point is that if you were skeptical about new projects before the kickstarter miracle there's really no reason to change that attitude because of KS when it comes to major publishers. And I doubt Ubisoft is all that impressed with the kickstarter numbers so far. A few mil is chump change for them. If some of these games make another 5 million after release then they might sit up and take notice. I think the suits are waiting to see how all of this KS stuff pans out. Publishers aren't big fans of taking risks. They look for proven investments for their cash.

It wouldn't take much for these games to earn five million. That's just a couple hundred thousand copies sold.

Or did you mean five million copies?

IronicNeurotic

Arbiter
That's because he's too busy making that RTS for EA.

:troll:

Funnily enough, Kevin D Saunders of Mask of the Betrayer and Torment fame worked on the Add-On for the first C&C Generals as well as other (Ex and current) Obsidian developers.

Trojan_generic

Magister
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
I do think that at best it's going to be a very retarded version of Might & Magic 9, which in itself was retarded so I guess this puts it at sentience levels of Terri Schaivo.

And just like Terri, you will have to be connected all the time.

jewboy

Arbiter
Uh, well...I feel like Dr. Evil then with his 1 million ransom. I'm not really in touch with how much dough the typical game makes these days. Maybe 5 million wouldn't be enough to impress them. 20 million then? The point was just that KS is still unproven to the big dogs.

Dyskolos

Cipher
I'm betting open world pseudo-sandbox. No party.

Luckily memories of IX dull the pain in recalling their own.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Uh, well...I feel like Dr. Evil then with his 1 million ransom. I'm not really in touch with how much dough the typical game makes these days. Maybe 5 million wouldn't be enough to impress them. 20 million then? The point was just that KS is still unproven to the big dogs.

Chris Avellone has said that one million copies sold would impress the publishers.

Assuming each copy sold earns, say, $25 or $30 after Gabe Newell takes his cut...you can do the math.

Stabwound

Arcane
It will be interesting to see how kickstarter-funded games do when they're actually released. Unless they totally screwed the budget up, any sales post-kickstarter are free profit because they've already been paid for their time. I can't wait to see sales figures for Wasteland 2 and the like. Maybe it's just not profitable enough for the big guys to bother with.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
it's pretty funny because if it's a wow clone I'll probably play it.
gotta love them wow knock-offs.
rush the hype-train, max level in a week, grow e-peen, then shelve it for all time.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom