Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Rulers of Nations Geopolitical Simulator

Is it worth it? Looks like a somewhat casual version of grand strat games, but I'm really feeling in the mood for a more peaceful grand strat where the primary focus is on improving the economy and applying soft power. Any other games that fit such a description? Developing industry, GDP, messing with interest rates etc?

And for God's sake, I don't want another Superpower 2 style shit where it always ends up in a mass nuke duel.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I REALLY liked the pirated version I played some time ago, very solid basics. But the problem was lots of bugs. And there are no new pirated versions available so you would have to buy the full version going in dark and not knowing how it is those days.

You get loads of options and its not that simplistic at all, just once you learn how you can cheat the system (for example spending on sports and arts boosts your approval while costing peanuts... but again perhaps they patched that I wouldnt know).

If it has a demo check that, also try the pirated version from some patches ago at least youll see what it is all about. I seriously considered buying it but for this cost its a risk Im not willing to take currently.

asongforsimeon

Educated
Think like this: you live in a shit town with no car and no internet, and there is just one somewhat ugly girl. Is it worth it? GPS and iterations are really unrefined games, lots of options but all seems skrewed, your country is prone to fall to anarchy for a public healt care spending cut, the military part is utter shit. But it's really the only viable game in this genre.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Not the ONLY game - one of the few in the genre. There was this Superpower 1 and 2 stuff, Supreme Ruler series, Democracy. But games are indeed rare in the grand-grand simulation genre encompassing politics, economy and military. And AI inevitably sucks.

asongforsimeon

Educated
Not the ONLY game - one of the few in the genre. There was this Superpower 1 and 2 stuff, Supreme Ruler series, Democracy. But games are indeed rare in the grand-grand simulation genre encompassing politics, economy and military. And AI inevitably sucks.

Yes, but Superpower is a joke, Supreme Ruler is too lacking on internal politics to be compared and Democracy is a cool gimmicky little game, but not really a geopolitical simulator. I would say Cyber Judas is the most close comparison.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Oh, thanks for mentioning CyberJudas, looks very cool I'll try it out.

Those games I mentioned are more modern tho and I cant really think of anything like them. As I said its not an actively growing niche but there is East vs West in development so perhaps there is some hope left.

Played for a few hours, game isn't much.

Gonna go back to Supreme Ruler 2020 and build up the economy of African nations. RoN 2 is pretty balls in every aspect.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom