Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warcraft 3 normal or hard?

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
WC2 is better in almost every respect besides the actual gameplay. Music is better, units are cooler (and they actually have funny lines), story is simpler but more rewarding, orcs are actually orcish, and so on and so forth. The problem is that the actual game is too simplistic and way too easy as well. It was a blast when i was a kid, but beyond the nostalgia factor i'm not sure i'd want to replay it.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
You forgot to mention that both sides are almost exactly the same with extremely small differences between the units (like different spells that mages cast).

And there is no "canon" orc, I for one like the way they are portrayed as noble savages.

Xavier0889

Learned
Is any bro out there who played Rival Realms? I played it centuries ago and I remember it had a lot of elements that got featured later in W3, like inventory management for all units, not just heroes. And I don't know if it was my 11-years-old mind but I remember it as a p. hard game.
Plus it was pretty good looking.

rival_realms_2_orig.jpg

76102-rival-realms-windows-screenshot-i-ve-sent-a-lonely-archer-on.jpg

76099-rival-realms-windows-screenshot-the-elf-race-already-in-troubles.jpg

It was made in Romania, google says.

G.O.D

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
WC2 is better in almost ever respect besides the actual gameplay. Music is better, units are cooler (and they actually have funny lines), story is simpler but more rewarding, orcs are actually orcish, and so on and so forth. The problem is that the actual game is too simplistic and way too easy as well. It was a blast when i was a kid, but beyond the nostalgia factor i'm not sure i'd want to replay it.

I agree with you on simplicity and difficulty, but the rest you mentioned is enough to choose it over WC3.
WC3 I played for some time, uninstalled, and never looked back at.

But yes, nostalgia does play a role, in all fairness.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
The problem of course is that the RTS genre is already pretty popamole to begin with, so something like lack of challenge can be an issue, where as more complex games can still be interesting even if the difficulty isn't too great. The best thing is probably to find a friend to play the game with.

Then again, i recently replayed Dune 2 where the gameplay is even more simplistic but it has such a killer atmosphere it almost didn't matter.

G.O.D

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
The problem of course is that the RTS genre is already pretty popamole to begin with

Loved that. :lol:

so something like lack of challenge can be an issue, where as more complex games can still be interesting even if the difficulty isn't too great. The best thing is probably to find a friend to play the game with.

Don't know enough about WC3 to judge it on the challenge aspect. I couldn't bear the game enough to proceed playing through to the later stages.
I agree with the statement though.

atmosphere.

Atmosphere (that includes music, story, characters, lore, representation, etc) and the previous mentioned nostagia are the key words in this matter.
For me, they nailed it back then, as a 12 year old kid.
And that's why it's still on the list of games to replay :).

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Just finished undead campaign on normal without any reload. If I didn't have zero upkeep for majority of mission, I'd have big problems. I should create more dark citadel and gargoyles.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Well then its smooth sailing now as far as boredom is concerned. Normal is a bit easy for me tho, but whatever suits you.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Well I like undead, and I evaded the worst because I played on normal.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Third mission for Night Elves is so PITA. Of course, when you know they will not rise that enemy hero, it's much easier. (Or when you have enough balistas, because otherwise archers are running just under arrow towers.)

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Normal is generally too easy so I say hard but if you are a slow player , "defend your base/lich/jewels" missions can be somewhat challenging.
I prefer Armies of Exigo to WC3 and FT. Its a bit harder and forces you to think (and micro manage) quite a bit.
Only played WC3 for its custom maps usually like DOTA, Tower Wars or funny hack&slash maps.

asongforsimeon

Educated
Is any bro out there who played Rival Realms? I played it centuries ago and I remember it had a lot of elements that got featured later in W3, like inventory management for all units, not just heroes. And I don't know if it was my 11-years-old mind but I remember it as a p. hard game.
Plus it was pretty good looking.

rival_realms_2_orig.jpg

76102-rival-realms-windows-screenshot-i-ve-sent-a-lonely-archer-on.jpg

76099-rival-realms-windows-screenshot-the-elf-race-already-in-troubles.jpg

It was made in Romania, google says.

This looks sweet indeed. Dinosaur-riding orcs FTW. Hoping for a GOG release.

Xavier0889

Learned
Normal is generally too easy so I say hard but if you are a slow player , "defend your base/lich/jewels" missions can be somewhat challenging.
I prefer Armies of Exigo to WC3 and FT. Its a bit harder and forces you to think (and micro manage) quite a bit.
Only played WC3 for its custom maps usually like DOTA, Tower Wars or funny hack&slash maps.

Armies of Exigo is a better Warcraft 3 than Warcraft 3. The units actually have formations and strategies. The "supergroup" thing is also a very nice feature.

This looks sweet indeed. Dinosaur-riding orcs FTW. Hoping for a GOG release.

You can get it (for free, even) here http://www.old-games.com/download/5514/rival-realms
If you have any problems with the colors use directdrawfix ( :love: )

Turns out the game is still p. hard. The first human mission starts with a bunch of archers and an orc army that outnumbers you. Your units can level up and find some neat treasures but still if you don't think well enough the orcs can kick your ass many times.

asongforsimeon

Educated
You can get it (for free, even) here http://www.old-games.com/download/5514/rival-realms
If you have any problems with the colors use directdrawfix ( :love: )

Turns out the game is still p. hard. The first human mission starts with a bunch of archers and an orc army that outnumbers you. Your units can level up and find some neat treasures but still if you don't think well enough the orcs can kick your ass many times.

Thanks bro.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
So I finished it. You would laugh hard, because I won the last mission only because Archimodes was sidestepping to destroy hunters hall. 9 seconds to finish.

Of course they added come back when you finish it at hard in the credits. Did they thought I'm crazy? Doing the last mission on hard?

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
So I finished it. You would laugh hard, because I won the last mission only because Archimodes was sidestepping to destroy hunters hall. 9 seconds to finish.

Of course they added come back when you finish it at hard in the credits. Did they thought I'm crazy? Doing the last mission on hard?

Once you know how to play that mission playing on hard isnt any harder than normal. As I said - rush your troops and heroes to the furthest base right away and you can safely defend it for 20+ minutes with their skills and armies alone.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Yes, build queues and shortcuts are extremely important to beat the very competent and competitive single player AI... oh wait they are not. Your APM hardly matters in single player, having good army build is usually more than enough to win vs the AI.

In my battlenet days I always found that micro-ing was the most important skill someone could have in WC3. Helped me a lot during a couple of missions and kept me playing Ooc successfully against those annoying death knight + mass fiend builds.

But yeah, army comp is enough to stomp over an AI that engages your dudes piecemeal. Think I'll try a tower rush strategy next time I play the human campaign and see how it goes.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik

Last Mission? YOu should do WHOLE CAMPAIGN!

Yes they talked about whole campaingn, only the last mission would be PITA. BTW these missions without bases are simple even on hard. (SC2 missions without bases are doable on hard/brutal on the first try, especially zerathul one.)

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Yes, build queues and shortcuts are extremely important to beat the very competent and competitive single player AI... oh wait they are not. Your APM hardly matters in single player, having good army build is usually more than enough to win vs the AI.

Neither do I like micro-ing. I'm sure I can get some way through a campaign but considering how the AI rapes me in skirmishes in pretty much every rts I just have to admit I'm just not very good at it.

It's actually far easier to defeat the AI at hardest in skirmish than at easiest. It does the most successful turtling at that difficulty then attacks you after 30-40 minutes with the greatest doomstack AI bonuses can produce.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Actually I discovered why I had problems in some missions and was forced to have so high APM, I played on fast whole campaign. Of course, on normal speed, it's easy because you have actual time to micro.

BTW do people know if they disabled hypogriph riders for final mission (because they were used creatively for counterattack? Fast hard hit against main base before enemy attack don't really work either because you'd not believe how many ghouls would appear.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom