Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Divinity: Original Sin Kickstarter Campaign Begins + Hands-on Preview at RPGWatch

Western

Arcane
Codex 2012 Codex 2014 Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Pity a lot if the rewards are crap. The early ones are all "personal code unlocks XYZ in your copy". It only gets interesting around the $1,000 mark - and then after that gets crap again with simple "name XYZ".

Still, we doing a Codex fundraiser for this and shooting for the $1,000 mark?

I would be in for both (Torment and Divinity).

I'd also be in for both.

Self-Ejected

HobGoblin42

Self-Ejected
Patron
Developer
Codex 2013 Codex USB, 2014
400,000 USD minus KS/Amazon Fees = ~350,000 USD = 270.000 EUR
Estimated average developer wage + taxes + PC + office costs etc. = ~4.200 EUR/month
So, they could hire 20 additional developers for about 3 months - that's a pretty nice boost content-wise if they get the organisation right.

Zeriel

Arcane
If there is one RPG kickstarter that deserves to hit it big it's this one. Because unlike all the others which sold nothing but dreams, this one actually has something tangible to show. I really hope that this reaches 1 mil eventually.

My guess is this Kickstarter will show what we always suspected all along: hazy, unsubstansiated dreams sell better than concrete products.

There's probably a Diablo 3 pre-order joke in here somewhere.

Snikt

Novice
I don't understand what is so great about isometric or overhead RPG's, modern gamers seem to lack the imagination of what their characters would look like with their gear on. Nowadays developers have to model and animate these 3D characters, make textures for every new bit of clothing or gear so it appears visually when equipped, as a visual aid to players. All that is really needed is portraits, with the party positioned behind the camera, with a paperdoll for equipment.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I don't understand what is so great about isometric or overhead RPG's, modern gamers seem to lack the imagination of what their characters would look like with their gear on. Nowadays developers have to model and animate these 3D characters, make textures for every new bit of clothing or gear so it appears visually when equipped, as a visual aid to players. All that is really needed is portraits, with the party positioned behind the camera, with a paperdoll for equipment.

Let me remind you where CRPGs originated from:

136413536782.jpg

But yeah I guess D&D players and wargaming grognards lack imagination :roll:

FeelTheRads

Arcane

o_O

The fuck. It has nothing to do with any of those. There are games suited for FP and there are games suited for top-down view.

Snikt

Novice
That wasn't what I meant. Older RPG's with abstracted combat were able to be as complex as they were because certain things weren't visually shown. If the developers had to graphically show everything those games would never have been made. I can only imagine how many man-hours compiling all the sprite images for animations in games like Fallout and Baldur's Gate would of taken. This is true today too, if a developer set out to make an RPG that showed everything, they would need a massive budget or they would need to cut-back on content.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Modelling a bunch of identikit little armors and weapons in 3D isn't a big deal compared to having to, you know, render out an entire world. Which you have to do anyway.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Not a fan of when people do kickstarters with limited slots for the digital copies. Nevertheless I'm glad they're off to a good start. Looking forward to this one.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Pity a lot if the rewards are crap. The early ones are all "personal code unlocks XYZ in your copy". It only gets interesting around the $1,000 mark - and then after that gets crap again with simple "name XYZ".

Still, we doing a Codex fundraiser for this and shooting for the $1,000 mark?

Eh one at a time please. (and I'm not sure the Torment fundraiser will end at the same time as its Kickstarter, either)
I've started the campaign now, for those who want to get in early. Donate here: http://www.rpgcodex.net/campaigns.php?id=3

We'll keep it off the news page until the Torment KS is over though.

lar_q

Larian Studios
Developer
Wow - the things you have to do to get your password reset on this forum - my bank has less security. And really ? Forcing me to read Todd & Pete misspell ERgo Draconis to get my password back ? Kinda cool but still...Anways - I figured I'd jump right in (and out, I've learnt from the experiences of my predecessors). Yes, we (well, I) did ruin it a little bit as detailed elsewhere in this thread, but we're scrambling, and we actually could use some feedback regarding what rewards you'd like to see.

I gathered from some posts you're not really happy with our rewards, but what I'd really like to know is, what is it that would make you... well, not happy... but ... well... less unhappy ? Honestly, we are making the type of game you guys (and occasional girl) should actually like, I think, so your thoughts actually do matter to us. (You cannot even start to imagine what this does to our psyche). So if you feel like offering some ideas, we'll pick them up (insert big disclaimer here)

Also - R. person - we welcome stats discussions. Actually, we even integrated an idea from your emissary already. I wonder if he'll pick it up. It's in the KS description. But from what you wrote/quoted, I gathered that you actually thought about this, so I'd be curious to hear your suggestions.

And thanks to all of you who have been pledging btw - you are going to be making a difference.

Toedeloe

Swen/Larian

I regularly read Vinche's blog and I knew Larian were at least thinking of crowd-funding for quite a long time. So, I'm another who were surprised by the timing. Reading Myrthos' take on the story, I think it's miscommunication. In fact, it's rather normal and even effective if some articles are published sometime before starting their crowd-funding. Also, Myrthos kept embargo about Kickstarter. So, I'm rather puzzled by why Larian needed to start the crowd-funding immediately simply because he published the hands-on.

Overboard

Arcane
I know people are saying the tiers aren't great but I thought the $65 digital tier was pretty decent. 2 copies of Original Sin, a copy of Dragon Commander with development vids, went for that.

One copy of OS.

The Bishop

Cipher
Too many cRPG kickstarters running simultaneously. They are clumped up, making them vulnerable to AOE spells.

BobtheTree

Savant
I thought I could ignore this one, but then I watched the pitch video and thought, damn, that looks like a really great CRPG experience I could have with a few buddies and now I want to back it.

I think I'll resist because the game already looks quite fantastic and it's coming out anyway. Doubt contributing to it will drastically change the quality of the game.

Stabwound

Arcane
I blame this:
bQWJ7Vw.jpg

RPG Watch: "Divinity:OS is da (SECOND!) most promising RPG of 2013".
RPG Codex: Your daily antidote to thinking you're getting anywhere in the world of CRPGS.

Not to mention all that DRAMA about Larian being broke, and all the "plane tickets, bitch" that followed...
Huh, they have a weird relationship with RPGWatch. I'm positive rpgcodex gets a lot more traffic than rpgwatch, especially if forums are counted.

Launching the KS just because RPGWatch has a premature ejaculation. I just don't get it.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Hmmm... I loatehd DD1 first time I played it. A few months ago, i tried it, and enjoyed it. Then, pllayed DD2 and liked it. Was looking forward to the new game...

That said, this seems kind of seedy. I am not impressed by this tatic,.

Next we are gonna see EA/BIO starting a KS to finance the last 6 months of dev time for DA3. LMFAO

LAME

P.S. This isn't bashing the game itself. It looks like it will be very fun, and if I see it in stores I will pick it up most likely. But, screw their peice of crap mehtod.

L0L KS Ford gonan start a KS. L0L

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom