Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company of Heroes 2 & Ardennes Assault

Multi-headed Cow

No Facebook account so no beta key for me. Can't say I'm all that interested due to microtransactions anyway, and I mainly like to comp stomp and Relic has shown they're fucking awful at RTS AI.

Multi-headed Cow

Reward 3
Everything Above, Plus:
Company of Heroes 2 Commissar Chest*
  • In-Game Currency Gift to be Used Towards Purchasing Future Content
  • XP Boost
  • Unit Boost
  • Commander Archetype
I believe you Raw, I believe you.
(it's a lie, i don't believe you at all)

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
XP is the same shit as in SC2, you play a match and get XP for actions during that match

the unit boost is probably the same shit that was available in CoHO like +2% accuracy for all conscripts. as you progressed in levels in CoHO you unlocked more and more of those "boosts" and could build a deck, i.e. the slots for unit boosts are limited. you can earn them by playing or buy them outright.
it's very reminiscent of level 1-30 in LoL, where you get to unlock all those glyphs and talent trees and shit or buy level 30 and don't bother.

a commander archetype is a what was called a doctrine in CoH1.

so nothing gamebreaking in the mix, this is not a pay 2 win scenario

phanboy_iv

Liturgist
Played about 10 games with friends, pubs and AI.

Verdict?

not-bad-meme.jpg

Multi-headed Cow

How's the AI? Is it still retarded like CoH 1? Or is it the slightly less retarded but still cheats a lot but at least occasionally attacks from other directions once in a blue moon of DoW1? Or is it the unending nightmare of DoW2?

phanboy_iv

Liturgist
It's still spammy (damn mortars), but a little bit smarter overall I'd say. I've gotten flanked on occasion, and so have people I've been playing with, but mostly sticking to Standard AI in matches with others so far.

Multi-headed Cow

Hmmm. Thanks for the heads up. If they have at least tolerable AI I'd be a bit more interested.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
...robs the players of choices and results in a very linear, predictable and streamlined escalation on the battlefield...
...have been reduced in efficacy....
...Player agency is currently lacking in CoH...
...linear doctrines...
...reduce choices even further...

Et tu Relic?

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Et tu Relic?

we'll see. what is missing from my post is the statement that the game is far from being finished. relic is definitely going for a faster, more streamlined game with CoH2. they also want to put more weight behind the whole "combined arms" idea, so getting those tanks earlier is kinda mandatory in this case. let's just hope it doesn't turn into DoW2 in WW2.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Eh, fuck this game. I just remembered why I never got into the previous game either. It focuses too much on constant, almost non-stop action. If there isn't a battle going on at any time during the match then it's either because you're busy losing or because you're busy winning, otherwise there's going to be a fight that you're going to have to keep an eye on.

It's not necessarily a bad game, it's just not my kind of game. I like slower-paced RTS games where I can catch a break from the fighting every once in a while. I'm not that big on the constant micromanagement that a game such as CoH requires.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
GMG25-FHALS-8SG7H

-25% code if you order from GMG. Works on everything else in the store too, but thought I'd post it here for people interested in CoH2.

Dickie

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Does it run like shit for anyone else? I can play the first one on max settings with no problem, but this one chugs along on minimum settings, where my guys look like they're made out of mud.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Running fine on my PC on max settings. Actually running better than I was expecting. One of my friends is also complaining about poor performance, though.

I've got a dual-core 2.9Ghz with a HD6870 1GB GPU and 4GB RAM on win7 64bit. What are you running it on? Might just be an issue of poor optimization on certain systems.

Dickie

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Running fine on my PC on max settings. Actually running better than I was expecting. One of my friends is also complaining about poor performance, though.

I've got a dual-core 2.9Ghz with a HD6870 1GB GPU and 4GB RAM on win7 64bit. What are you running it on? Might just be an issue of poor optimization on certain systems.

I've got a Core i7@2.93 GHz, 8 GB RAM, and a Radeon 5970 (2 GB) on Win7 64 bit. I realize the video card is a little old but I wouldn't expect it to be choppy on the lowest settings.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Nah, definitely not your PC then. It's probably just poorly optimized then. Hopefully they'll sort it before release, because two of the matches I played today suffered from people getting low framerates.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Apart from the Soviets, the German army had been defeated by the Russian Empire in the nineteenth century and even then you can say that they have lost in both cases because of the hostility of nature.
What the fuck am I reading?

Within the stories of the Lieutenant, there are more flashbacks. For example, the first mission lies chronologically after the second. It follows, in fact, a Soviet attempt to recapture Stalingrad after it had fallen into the hands of the Germans, as seen in later missions. The narration itself is quite free and the presence of the flashback experience allows it to point out the atrocities of WWII without having to take anyone's side. Both the Soviets and the Nazis, in fact, will make actions during the conflict that go well beyond any moral code, and Relic's narration will not fail to point out the facts most abhorrent and unjustifiable.
Sigh, another dumb flashback story...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom