Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software The Dark Souls II Megathread™

Stonewolf

Augur
Once you get a job and life you might review the stance of being ok with this game mechanics, I guess for now it's too much to ask from a kid to understand that not everybody wants to spend x hours repeating same content just to push the story further. If there will be a story in DS2, that is.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Once you get a job and life you might review the stance of being ok with this game mechanics, I guess for now it's too much to ask from a kid to understand that not everybody wants to spend x hours repeating same content just to push the story further. If there will be a story in DS2, that is.
Butthurt casualfag detected. If you don't have the time for a game, don't play it. Play DA2, it can be played with a job and a life, which you obviously have, and we obviously lack.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
So your mom forced you to get a job at McDonalds flipping burgers and now you think you are the expert on responsibility here? Give me a break. I'm a married guy and I still have more than enough time for my hobbies and video games. You are just inept at games and at managing time if you can't find enough time to play games. Maybe look into those facebook games, they might be more up your alley. Hell, they don't even let you play but for a certain amount of times each day.

Tommers

Augur

I said it already - the respawning enemies make you choose whether to progress in the game and risk losing your souls, or go back to the fire and progress your character but lose the progress you just made in the level. That choice is at the heart of the game. And it ties in with the "fairness" of it all - you choose to gamble then you've got nobody but yourself to blame when it all goes tits up.

Plus it stops the game being a procession like 99% of everything else that is made these days. The devs even talk about it in the video - there's a sense of satisfaction and accomplishment when you achieve something that you don't get with anything else. And it's tense when you don't know where the next save point is, when you could lose everything in an instant and be dumped back 20 mins of game time ago.

You would have none of that without respawning enemies.

And it's all an illusion anyway cos lots of things don't reset. You're still progressing, even if you die.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Except you're progressing as a player, not in the game. It's a journey of growth. Remarkable, I say.

Tommers

Augur
Except you're progressing as a player, not in the game. It's a journey of growth. Remarkable, I say.

Well, both really. You can kill Havel, for example, and then die - get transported back to the fire and everything resets but Havel is still dead.

Plus, like you say, you progress as a player.

It's an amazing game. The way it goes from "how the fuc....?" to "in your face you wanker!" is really well done.

Azazel

Arbiter
I find it really interesting that they are saying DSII is going to be "Less Linear". After you beat the Taurus Demon in DS you can pretty much go wherever the fuck you want as long as you have the skill and equipment to get there. In my current PC playthrough I rang the 2nd bell before the first, entirely skipped the Depths, and am now wandering around New Londo Ruins for giggles...

Dark Souls is a very non-linear game.

keppj0nes

Educated
Is anyone else nervous about 2 new directors taking over the series? I haven't been able to tell what things they are planning to do differently. The keystones items sound pretty sketchy if they cause a lot of backtracking. I feel like there will be more than a few things in the game that feel like they don't fit into the series' kind of minimal style.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I find it really interesting that they are saying DSII is going to be "Less Linear". After you beat the Taurus Demon in DS you can pretty much go wherever the fuck you want as long as you have the skill and equipment to get there. In my current PC playthrough I rang the 2nd bell before the first, entirely skipped the Depths, and am now wandering around New Londo Ruins for giggles...

Dark Souls is a very non-linear game.
You actually have even more freedom than that. Try this for shits and giggles on a new character: When you get to firelink, grab the humanity, turn human, and go to the catacombs. Take the skip down to where you summon leeroy, summon him, and have him kill the boss for you. Optional: go into the tomb of giants and kill patches for his awesome fucking axe. Homeward bone back to firelink with your 20k souls and rite of kindling. Then go to new londo, kill ingward to take the key, and walk out through the valley of the drakes, through the garden, to Andre. You can do all this without the master key. You can run into the fog wall to the taurus demon from the wrong side (it won't let you pass) and even go through Havel and back towards firelink to trigger the drake stomping on the narrow path from the wrong side (I've been meaning to find out if that still happens if you kill him on the bridge before going here.)

The game is incredibly open. IIRC you can even fight the 4 kings before you get the lordvessel.

Azazel

Arbiter
^^^

Yeah, this is exactly the kind of thing I'm talking about. To be honest I'm kind of afraid now that they're going to decrease the non-linearity or something because I'm not sure how the game could get any less locked down...

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
^^^

Yeah, this is exactly the kind of thing I'm talking about. To be honest I'm kind of afraid now that they're going to decrease the non-linearity or something because I'm not sure how the game could get any less locked down...

I saw the demo trailer and it's good so far. But, I share your concern.

zwanzig_zwoelf

You've got a job and a good fucking life, yet you're bitching here like a green faggot instead of feeding your wife in Skyrim or something like that.

abija

Prophet
Keyboard support was (and is) shit, but I was talking about the 30 fps cap and shitty console resolution. Those may be enough for console plebs, but I demand more. :obviously:
That is called a decent port not "lead platform". And keyboard is still better and more precise than a shitbox controller.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Keyboard support was (and is) shit, but I was talking about the 30 fps cap and shitty console resolution. Those may be enough for console plebs, but I demand more. :obviously:
That is called a decent port not "lead platform". And keyboard is still better and more precise than a shitbox controller.

I would never use keyboard/mouse for actiony games like DS.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron

Look Black's post from the last page, that's a direct dev quote. And of course kb&mouse is superior, I didn't say it wasn't. The game clearly was meant and designed purely for a gamepad, though.

So, my magic 8-ball is now saying "wait and see".

Remember when FROM was hesitant to release Demons Souls in the west because they weren't sure it would sell the 150k or so copies needed to break even?

because you died due to retarded controls or some scripted bullshit you had no chance to see coming unless metagaming.

having to repeat several minutes of gameplay for no real reason apart from gamedev thinking it's hard when player gets punished by having his time wasted.

Gamedevs are basically saying 'we have no idea how to make game actually hard

Amazing how it's never your fault :lol:

Azazel

Arbiter
because you died due to retarded controls or some scripted bullshit you had no chance to see coming unless metagaming.

having to repeat several minutes of gameplay for no real reason apart from gamedev thinking it's hard when player gets punished by having his time wasted.

Gamedevs are basically saying 'we have no idea how to make game actually hard

Amazing how it's never your fault :lol:

It's like decline has manifested itself in the guise of a human and come to stalk. :salute:

Oarfish

Prophet
So, my magic 8-ball is now saying "wait and see".

Remember when FROM was hesitant to release Demons Souls in the west because they weren't sure it would sell the 150k or so copies needed to break even?

Too busy playing my overpriced import copy. That was already localised in english..

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Boxart revealed:

DARKS2_PC_PFT_Front1-e1365704062579.jpg

There is no GWFL logo. Praise the sun!

praetor

Arcane

it's funny how you don't even realize that with that mindset you're more of a "consoletard" than 99% of the people that play DkS and part of the reason, the central problem if you will, why today most games play themselves in 4hours. you basically trolled yourself by trying to troll others, oh harbinger of the :decline: ...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom