Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Elder Scrolls Online - gone B2P

DraQ

Arcane
On the player side maybe. Tech helps a lot in creating better animations.
Key word being "helps".

As far as body anims go they haven't chaged since 1998 - you're effectively animating a stick figure with only so many bones and vertices to work with.

Yes, if you have mocap, you can capture animations off a living person instead of having to make them comletely by hand, but it's neither necessary, nor sufficient for having impressive anims.

Facial anims are a bit of a different story, but since around HL2 they are also about talent rather than tech base.

And, funny thing, one of the most impressively animated games I have seen was Another World.
Yes, from 1993.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Key word being "helps".

As far as body anims go they haven't chaged since 1998 - you're effectively animating a stick figure with only so many bones and vertices to work with.

Yes, if you have mocap, you can capture animations off a living person instead of having to make them comletely by hand, but it's neither necessary, nor sufficient for having impressive anims.

Facial anims are a bit of a different story, but since around HL2 they are also about talent rather than tech base.

And, funny thing, one of the most impressively animated games I have seen was Another World.
Yes, from 1993.

Flashback was even earlier and looked good too, as did Fade to Black in full 3D back in 1995. Interestingly, the man who could do no wrong; Brian Fargo; was at the head of Interplay when they made the shitty sequel to Another World, Heart of the Alien for the Sega CD CONSOLE. You can take the Codex hero away from the decline but you can't take the decline away from the Codex hero....

Jashiin

Arcane
Key word being "helps".

Yes, from 1993.

Flashback was even earlier and looked good too, as did Fade to Black in full 3D back in 1995. Interestingly, the man who could do no wrong; Brian Fargo; was at the head of Interplay when they made the shitty sequel to Another World, Heart of the Alien for the Sega CD CONSOLE. You can take the Codex hero away from the decline but you can't take the decline away from the Codex hero....

Flashback was from 92, but another world released in 91 even.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Yes Flashback is from 92, Another world from 1991. I had originally just looked at DraQ's times and knowing that he rarely gets anything wrong I didn't bother to check when Another World was actually released before saying that Flashback was from an earlier time. Still you're not totally correct as the iPad version of Another World was only released in 2011...:troll:

escom

Learned
I was worried that bethesda will skip tamriel in TES VI because this mmo will feature all of it, but after watching this video i'm not worried anymore. :lol:
It's so boring, bland, wow-ish.

AngryKobold

Arcane
Graphics far below average and generic gameplay. In other words, shovelware MMO like every others, except of the TES sticker. Not as if it's any surprise.

At least entering to the buildings doesn't require loading another map. What a progress!

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Graphics far below average and generic gameplay. In other words, shovelware MMO like every others, except of the TES sticker. Not as if it's any surprise.

At least entering to the buildings doesn't require loading another map. What a progress!
What pisses me off the most is that this was THE opportunity to make a big budget sandbox MMORPG with a recognizable name to back it up. Considering the nature of TES games it would've been a great fit. But nope, let's just make another safe, themepark dime a dozen game that will go F2P within a year. Goddammit.

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
At least the UI doesn't suffer for a console's sake.

Really?They thought is good idea to reposition the players view when he open the inventory going in to ugly overview?And everything is in rows.All game must look more like this:
drakensang2009031119191.jpg

IDtenT

Menace to sobriety!
Patron
South Africa; My pronouns are: Banal/Shit/Boring
Divinity: Original Sin

What pisses me off the most is that this was THE opportunity to make a big budget sandbox MMORPG with a recognizable name to back it up. Considering the nature of TES games it would've been a great fit. But nope, let's just make another safe, themepark dime a dozen game that will go F2P within a year. Goddammit.
Haha. You hope for too much. AAA MMOs can't take risks.

DraQ

Arcane
AAA MMOs can't take risks.
We live in a world where playing it safe is almost guaranteed to result in complete failure, yet taking risks is unthinkable despite having decent chance of success.

Mad world.

"we can't take any risks, that's why your task will be to roll this barrell of nytroglicerin down the stairs copy and challenge WoW, which carries around 100% risk of horrible explosion flopping badly".

And people complain Bethesda's storylines make no sense.
:roll:

Zeriel

Arcane
Wow, that engine looks really, really bad.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom