Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity: Original Sin Pre-Release Thread

Breydel

Literate
True. Larian started recording with YouTubers today, hopefully we'll see another surge once those videos start coming out.

Gord

Arcane
With some luck the upcoming interviews by Youtube celebrities might bring in some backers.
I should probably decide soon, if I go for the 65$ tier with DC or not.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
What we need to continue to to do, is make sure every other gaming related site each and every single person here visits, make sure there is info on this game there to help draw in more awareness and possible backers.

Gord

Arcane
Go for it! These guys totally deserve it. I really really hope that there is new interest in the game after the vids are published.

They definitely do. On the other hand, they might make more money from me if I buy DC later for full price.
Right now I want the Kickstarter to make as much as possible, though...

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
Man, I just watched the Hatching the Dragon documentary and now I'm depressed. I genuinely love DKS, it's just as good as I remember replaying it now, but the original vision for the game looked amazing. Can't help but think that some of the features like blocking, parrying and better dragon combat could have stayed in some form. Fucking publishers :( Ah well, better to aim high and fall a bit short than settle for anything less. At least some of the features are making a comeback in Dragon Commander.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Go for it! These guys totally deserve it. I really really hope that there is new interest in the game after the vids are published.

They definitely do. On the other hand, they might make more money from me if I buy DC later for full price.
Right now I want the Kickstarter to make as much as possible, though...
I would say that money given in trust without strings attached helps more. But that is indeed an opinion and not a fact unless they themselves acknowledge it.
They might get more money from getting the game by pledging to this tier than from making an official DC sale anyway.

Kashrlyyk

Scholar
What we need is more backers.
Yeah. But that is the problem to which no real solution exists other than excellent marketing and some really really good base. Obsidian has MCA. Fargo has "Fargoness" and Interplay titles. Divinity just does not compare here.
I hope that "Original Sin" will create such a base in case they'll go with another Kickstarter for another game.

Self-Ejected

Kosmonaut

Lost in Space
Man, I just watched the Hatching the Dragon documentary and now I'm depressed. I genuinely love DKS, it's just as good as I remember replaying it now, but the original vision for the game looked amazing. Can't help but think that some of the features like blocking, parrying and better dragon combat could have stayed in some form. Fucking publishers :( Ah well, better to aim high and fall a bit short than settle for anything less. At least some of the features are making a comeback in Dragon Commander.
Thanks for the link. First time I watch it too. I loved the insight on the ups and downs of a small-medium sized developer. Kudos to Larian.

Breydel

Literate
If you want the $65 tier be quick about it. Only 150 left; they lowered the limit on that one because they're about to introduce a bunch of new tiers in the next update.

Monty

Arcane
If you want the $65 tier be quick about it. Only 150 left; they lowered the limit on that one because they're about to introduce a bunch of new tiers in the next update.
Hmm looks like they dropped the limits on most tiers, including the basic $25 one. Guess they want to generate some 'don't want to miss out' action which makes people rush to pledge when a tier they're considering is about to be filled.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Have they mentioned anything about continuity/story stuff? I mean, I've never played a Divinity game.
Should I start with DKS or the first one, in fact?
Should I even start ? :o

Monty

Arcane
Have they mentioned anything about continuity/story stuff? I mean, I've never played a Divinity game.
Update #13 has a history summary, and this game actually falls well before the previously released Divinity games.

Tolknaz

Augur
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Don't worry much about continuity as far as the first three games are concerned. There was quite a bit of subtle retconning of DD and BD stuff in D2 and FOV even if the main players in the story stayed the same. The Developers Journal included as a book with the Divinity Anthology and as an extra on GOG discusses how their story has changed quite a bit since DD. Now, that they soon have 5 games out, i hope they plan their lore a bit better though. Weather you should start or not depends on weather or not you can stomach Diablo like (DD & BD) or third person (D2) action combat. The games certainly have their charm, but you should be prepared to stomach the underwhelming parts (which shouldn't be hard if you can stomach an action rpg).

Edit: Ah, i misunderstood. The chronology is basically how Mikayel said. Do try to start with DivDiv though. It's certainly a bit better game as a whole than D2.

Murk

Arcane

chronology was discussed in an update, it goes something like:

Dragon Commander ---> Original Sin ---> Divinity 1 ---> Beyond Divinity ---> Ego Draconis/DKS.

I'd suggest you play Div 1 and DKS. If you start with DKS you won't miss out a TON on storyline but you may not pick up on some references and nods... actually, quite a few.

Arkeus

Arcane
KS Update said:
Help from an unexpected source

With only 8 days left on the clock and some distance to cover still until our next stretch goal, our Kickstarter campaign received endorsement from an unexpected source today!

Maxos - The man who can teach you how to become a dragon!
Major rewards update

We added a number of new reward tiers today, and also added some extra goodies to existing reward tiers. Don't worry, nothing was removed. On the contrary, chances are high that you received some free extras.
  • Dragon Commander: If you pledge more than 95$, you by default receive a digital version of Divinity: Dragon Commander.
  • Kickstarter badge/credits: If you pledge more than 25$, you by default receive a Kickstarter badge on the Larian forums. You are also included in the credits as a backer.
  • Dragon badge/credits: If you pledge more than 95$, you by default receive a Dragon badge on the Larian forums. You are also included in the credits at Dragon level.
  • Weresheep badge/credits: If you add 6$ to your pledge at any tier, you will receive a Weresheep badge on the Larian forums. You will also be mentioned in the credits as a Weresheep and might even have a surprise in the game! You'll also receive... a hint.
A number of new all digitalreward tiers were added today. They are present in the sidebar at the 95$, 135$, 150$ and 200$ level.
Because we cannot modify existing tiers in the sidebar anymore, we made a visual overview of what the changes mean for all the other rewards.
rewards_Matrix_Digital.jpg

rewards_Matrix_Physical.jpg

Larger versions of the digital rewards chart and the physical rewards chart are also available.
Remember, you can always modify your pledge by clicking on the "manage pledge" button.

Kirill performing live tomorrow

Hear ye, hear ye! The marvellous and miraculous musical magician Kirill Pokrovsky will dazzle and delight your heart and soul with the soulful music of Divinity in a divine treat for the fans. Sit down, perk up and let Kirill take you to the world of fantastic fantasia known from Divine Divinity and beyond!

In the style of a true oriental oracle, the amazing Kirill will answer any questions you may have in an extensive Q&A session.

So mark the date: Thursday, April 18th at 19h GMT+1 (19:00 Brussels - 18:00 London - 13:00 New York - 10:00 San Francisco - 21:00 Moscow)
Go to www.divinityoriginalsin.com to see the live stream.

Kirill is already rehearsing for tomorrow. He tells us he's more nervous for this event than he was for this

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Wow, I just got Dragon Commander for free as a $95 level backer.
No I didn't . :( It's "more than $95". Oh well.

EDIT:
:M

Breydel

Literate
DC for everyone who pledged over $95, on top of all the other stuff? Holy shit, I am upgrading right now. How can Larian even afford this?

Arkeus

Arcane
DC for everyone who pledged over $95, on top of all the other stuff? Holy shit, I am upgrading right now. How can Larian even afford this?
They probably have to pay their DC publishers for this... :-(

Forktong: what is the best tier under 160$ for giving larian money?

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
If I add $6, do I get both the weresheep thing and the Divine Divinity HD version, or would I have to add $11 overall? I don't care much about the weresheep thing, but for an extra dollar it might be fun.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom