Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity [BETA RELEASED, GO TO THE NEW THREAD]

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The thing is, nobody actually cares that much about mechanics.
Speak for yourself, motherfucker.

OK, I'll talk to you in 2014 when a bunch of us here are cussing out Obsidian for the obviously buggy, unfinished quality of the game's final areas and NOT for their choice of inventory and resting mechanics.

Lord Andre

Arcane
If Sawyer had kept his mouth shut the same way inXile does, we wouldn't even have known that cooldowns were ever considered.

If he says something good then he will get praise but if he says something bad he gets critique. That's fair. Or are we using Bioware's special concept of feedback.
If he says nothing, he gets nothing. No praise and no critique. It's his choice really.

Edit: What about how we criticize Arcanum's combat ? Think that something similar might happen ?

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Lord Andre

I'd like to agree except:

- BG2 is high level popamole.
- Mage Duels has more in common with Final Fantasy than either D&D or energy blasts from swords.
- RNG promotes Save scumming over strategy.
- Linear warrior and quadratic mages are supported but not enforced in Project Eternity.
- Bags of holding says hello.
- Vancian magic is far more gamist and abstract than many of the popular Final Fantasy systems you apparently detest, and only serve a purpose when supported through the lore of the setting.

- Vancian Magic is cooldowns.
- Josh has explained himself for more competently than you at this point.
- 4th sucks as a PnP game but is probably better suited to CRPGs than AD&D was. Thanks for jumping on a bandwagon that rode off years ago. I can't tell you how many troll posts I got shut down 5 yeasrs ago on enworld when this subject was still relevant. Bravo buddy!
- Aggro mechanics can make sense when done correctly, and this doesn't make the game by default a WoW clone.
- If you thought playing a warrior oldschool meant autoattack, then YOU are an awesome button.
- Saying health and stamina are the same are like saying level drain and Thac0 are the same. Yes, you could argue your point, but it's hyperbolic bullshit and close minded.
- You haven't played normal yet, and your arguments have turned to tantrums at this point.
- Show me some of the bad ass hardcore soloing you've done over the years.

Nobody is saying Josh is a savior(except Roguey) but you comparisons to Bioware are unfounded, since he's never created anything close to the travesties that company has in recent years.
This is an excellent place to vent and troll, but you need to do a better job in the future.

:1/5:

Good luck!

Delterius

Arcane
The thing is, nobody actually cares that much about mechanics. Content is king. All of this whining is a huge waste of time.

PE could actually have shitty mechanics and people on the Codex would still love it if it has an imaginative, intriguing and well-written plot, and awesome reactivity and C&C. That is the Codexian way.

You can have all the reactivity in the world and the best content ever, but it must be presented well.

They are both limiting systems, they are not the same. Unless you are playing Neverwinter Nights.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The thing is, nobody actually cares that much about mechanics.
Speak for yourself, motherfucker.
The thing is, only RPG fans care about the mechanics. Which explains a lot about the people who don't, actually :)

I didn't say nobody cares about mechanics - I said nobody cares about them that much. That is, they're not what makes or breaks a game in these parts.

When this game comes out in 2014, people aren't going to be screaming at their monitors because of the way the game handles resting or inventory. I mean, seriously, think about it! It's funny just to imagine that.

Lord Andre

Arcane
LeStryfe79

So you have a different opinion on a subject that can't be measured objectively. Good for you. And before you call me a troll perhaps you might try to understand what a forum is and is not. e.g. If there were no diverging opinions then there wouldn't actually be a discussion.

Oh yeah...before I forget :0/5: Now where is Jaesun with that join date ?

Edit: Jaesun please retardo J_C's inflammatory one liner, as it's derailing this thread. This isn't GD, is it ?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Alpha Protocol was broken by terrible mechanics.

Alpha Protocol had lots of problems, but the main one IMO was that the levels just weren't very interesting.

In any case, a mission-based third person shooter is a different beast.

Self-Ejected

Kosmonaut

Lost in Space
When this game comes out in 2014, people aren't going to be screaming at their monitors because of the way the game handles resting or inventory.
Again, speak for yourself. I'm pretty sure there will be some people bothered about both things, and more.
I mean, seriously, think about it! It's funny just to imagine that.
Just as funny about people bitching about the similarity of PE classes with D&D classes, amirite?

imweasel

My problem with Sawyer is not that he criticizes things. Is that he criticizes things I like:
[...]
Now, if someone from Bioware was responsible for the above, his name would be cursed for years on the codex. Sawyer does it, and for some reason I should cut him some slack ? Why ? Cause' he's a nice guy? He ain't. Cause' he's a bro? He ain't. Cause of he's past work? Not impressed.
The burden of proof does not lie with me. It lies with him. If he makes great gameplay, I'll admit I was wrong. Until then I will judge him by his current actions as enumerated above.

Excellent post!
:bro:

Lancehead

Liturgist
Alpha Protocol was broken by terrible mechanics.
Maybe I had different expectations, but unbalanced mechanics were really not the problem as much the lack of technical polish of controls, stealth, and shooting.

FeelTheRads

Arcane

- Saying health and stamina are the same are like saying level drain and Thac0 are the same. Yes, you could argue your point, but it's hyperbolic bullshit and close minded.

:lol:

K, man, Vancian Magic is cooldowns, but the way health and stamina are supposed to work in PE is totally not the same. It's not like they practically serve the same purpose, which is to give health-regen. BUT IT'S NOT CALLED HEALTH!!1

Arkeus

Arcane
K, man, Vancian Magic is cooldowns, but the way health and stamina are supposed to work in PE is totally not the same. It's not like they practically serve the same purpose, which is to give health-regen. BUT IT'S NOT CALLED HEALTH!!1
Their purpose is to have a game where healing spells or potion do not exist as such, as well as to introduce both tactical and strategic choices when it come to life.

Self-Ejected

Brayko

Self-Ejected
Yeah you're not gonna have much fun with the combat without a gamepad *cough* ShitBox game. They had to eat somehow though so I'll let them slide with a few broken console titles with a few charming redeems. :)

Lancehead

Liturgist
No they don't serve the same purpose.

Stamina regenerates outside of combat. Health doesn't, and can only be replenished by resting in pre-designated areas.
Losing stamina knocks the character out. Losing health kills the character.
Losing health also inflicts wounds that apply penalties.
You lose both health and stamina at the same time at different rates.

Those facts separate how health and stamina operate functionally. Arguing they're the same is like claiming blunt and slash weapons are the same.

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Shit. I've run out of random things to say! @$#@%&$@#!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom