Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News NWN2: Munchkin Edition - must see to believe!

Halenthal

Liturgist
DemonKing said:
Umm...the rings seem the most worthless thing to me (well apart from the magical glowing aura, of course). What the hell do you want those for?

A couple of comments:

* Blessed of Waukeen sounds just like the standard FR feat "Luck of Heroes". Also isn't Waukeen the god of merchants? Doesn't exactly sound appropriate to me.

* Cloth maps - why do people love these so much? Everytime I see one I feel the strange urge to blow my nose in them.

* I don't mind the in-game extras although I must admit they can be a bit hit and miss balance-wise (eg the extra stuff you could get in BG2 CE which included a shield that effectively rendered beholders useless).

The rings are just nice-an added little touch. Wouldn't miss them if they weren't there, but they're nice. Kind of like games that come with figurines, useless but cool all the same.

The book is fun to look at once or twice, after that it'll get lost and not be missed.

As for the map-cloth, paper, cardboard, two by fours, I don't care. It's just nice to actually have a physical map included with the game rather than a pdf file that I'm supposed to print out.

The in-game stuff...big deal. Within minutes of its release, it'll be on the net, so it's not a big deal if it's included or not. Personally I don't think collectors or limited editions of games should come with extra gameplay or in-game content. If I buy a game, I want the game, and I don't want to have to pick and choose between versions of the game that have different features while I'm in the store shopping. If they want to add on an aura and some items, fine, do it in a patch or as a downloadable addon, or even better, save it for an expansion.

Whatever they include with whatever version it may be, I'm still going to wait for a bunch of reviews and give it some time before deciding for sure about buying it or not.

Mr.Rocco

Novice
More and more I find out about nwn2, it seems to get worse.
Btw, what the hell is this halo shit? what the fuck does it supposed to do?

Jim Kata

Arbiter
Vault Dweller said:
wallace said:
<blockquote>
- Cloth map showing in-game locations
- Book of art, depicting characters and scenes from the game
- Two silver antique rings: Good & Evil </blockquote>

Yeah, there's some stupid "my character is teh ub3r" stuff in there, but these don't seem bad at all, especially the art book. I've always loved their concept artists, from BI to OE... I wonder how many pages it is / dimensions.
Uh, let's see. The difference between the Limited Edition and a regular copy is 10 bucks. So, 10 bucks buy you a cloth map, an art book, and two silver (!) rings. Quite a bargain. I can't wait to see some pictures.

That's better than 99.99% of all special editions, most of which just shovel in unbearably lame interviews, making ofs, and extra lame music nd lame skins. The only better one I can think of is the POR IIwhich came with a player's handbook.

I personally hate the idea of special content of any kind being in the LE, and the aura sounds extra lame, but otherwise it sounds like a good deal for fans. If more games had extras like this for the hardore fans, then people would pirate games a lot less.

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
Collectors Editions are not that bad, or lets say they weren't.
I remember Warcraft 3 had a nice collectors edition, though it was very expensive. On the topside, at least here in germany, they still sold it months after the intitial release here and it dropped price 70 Euro . I also bought the age of empires 3 collectors, and although the game is shit the CE was actually quite decent. I only paid 10 more bucks for it and didnt feel cheated for the content i got, the best thing was a really nice big hardcover artbook.

However, as always, the industry has found new ways to maximize their profit and get more $$$$ out of their stupid zombie customers.

While previous CEs had in most cases "touchable" extras like books, artbooks, trading cards, cloth maps, soundtrack, thicker manuals a bigger or special designed cardbox etc.,
more and more of the "touchable" extras go, and the trend goes towards digital content and ingame extra features which are cheap to produce..
Lame" making of" DVDs, download keys to download your soundrack (!) and of course TEH 1 new SPESHUL UNIT WITH MAGIC MONSTER POWERS, 2 XTRA NEW MAPS ONLY FOR CE BUYERZ and your own gay purple BUNNY PET! .

Good example is the Oblivion CE (and its still one of the greatest shames in the history of this side that some people didnt buy only Oblivion here, but even the CE!).
I mean, it didnt even come in a big cardbox but in a digipack. That should be actually the packaging for standart editions these days.
And as an extra it didnt come with a cloth map, but with a paper map!

Its funny how together with the decline of the standart versions (no manuals, DVD box, no maps or whaterver) the supposed super collector luxus editions, which would have been the last hope for collectors like me get reduced in content likewise, while the price still is as high as it was before for the average CE.

End of rant.
That being said, if the artbook is actually decent, (many pages, hardcover, big format) the games comes in a cardbox instead of a digipack or DVD-case , had an extra-thick manual and the map would be ok i'd propably buy it if it doesnt cost more than 10 bugs more.
However, i doubt all of this (the artbook will be definatly some lame softcover mini-size book) so i won't propably get this. TEH MAGILA AURA makes me puke. Is it possible to deactivate this shit´?

Excalibur

Liturgist
The aura thing is stolen from guild wars! man I loved when people asked me where it came from online and i was like... "yeah bitch, im special, im glowing FUCKER, Heeeeel Yeah!"
Best extra money I ever spent! :P

Dreagon

Scholar
Why not little crows that circle above my head? I would pay extra for that.

JaheiraRocks

Novice
For swedish/scandinavian Collector's Edition:

• In-Game item: “Blessed of Waukeen”
• DVD with music and artwork
• DVD with the original NWN game + add-ons
• Ring (Good or Evil)
• Customized launch interface (Good or Evil)
• Map of the NWN-world
• Art book (Good or Evil)
• Figurine (Good or Evil)
• D&D Online 7 day trial key.

Games itself is also on DVD.

CDON.com

• Game on DVD
• Manual
• CD MUSIC + CD ARTWORKS
• Original Neverwinter Nights + Add-on in a special box.
• A ring with Neverwinter's eye.
• Customized launch interface (Evil/Good)
• Clothe map of the world (old paper)
• Leaflet depicting several Evil/Goyal characters stories from the game
• Art books
• One figurine
• In every single NWN2 box a client of D&D Online with a 7 days free trial
• A metal flask
• Poster A3

Megastore.se

..metal flask?

GhanBuriGhan

Erudite
Vault Dweller said:
<a href=http://www.gamestop.com>GameStop</a> has unveiled <a href=http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?cookie%5Ftest=1&product%5Fid=646631>NWN2 Limited Edition</a>:

<blockquote>- A powerful new feat called Blessed of Waukeen, which will generate +1 bonus to all saving throws,
- Two special items
- Access to a unique weapon
- <b><font size=4>A magical golden aura which lights above your character</font></b>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.rpgdot.com">RPG Dot</A>

Wow, three perfectly good reasons not to touch this special(ly retarded) edition. That makes it easy.

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Hmm, according to amazon.de the CE comes with a paper map. There are two CEs, Lawful Good and Chaotic evil with the according ring and miniature - as well as 10 premade characters of that alignment. Awesome.
It also comes in a "book packing" or something.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
It was supposed to be a surprise, but I can't keep anything from you guys. Here is an exclusive screenshot of your glowing character

Link

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
There are no classes in the game. If there were, one of them would have been turbgirl. We all know how awesome and horrible her powers are. Plus the lightsaber proficiency.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
No, it isn't. It's generic, boring, and sometimes really lacking creativity, but it could be much, much worse. I do agree with everyone who says that he is not listen-worthy these days, though. A few years ago, he was.

Back up your claim, Admiral.

LaDoushe

Scholar
Dammit, you people are ignoring the most important post. JaheiraRocks his nonsensical swedish site both claim that there is a metal flask in the damn CE. I know a lot of codexers drink, as should most adults who play a lot of videogames. Why not combine the two vices in a memorable way? I'm pretty sure one of my favorite things ever would be a Vault 13 flask to take about town. The great thing is that most CRPGs are so esoteric that such a nerdy reference would be lost on anyone who might hold that against me.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Jeremy Soule is one of the better ones. Anyone who thinks otherwise is retarded. Retards.

Ryuken

Liturgist
I heard one of the Obsidian lads stating that they'll re-use 50% of NWN's music (which wasn't bad but not great either), thought it was Feargus on the E3 Gamespot On Stage presentation.

Jim Kata

Arbiter
Jasede said:
No, it isn't. It's generic, boring, and sometimes really lacking creativity, but it could be much, much worse. I do agree with everyone who says that he is not listen-worthy these days, though. A few years ago, he was.

Back up your claim, Admiral.

That's a good definition of shit. You could argue there is worse shit out there, but it's all subjective.

Surgey

Scholar
Jeremy Soule isn't that bad. His music for NWN was pretty lackluster, but I like some of the stuff for the other games he's composed for. As a whole, most of the soundtracks can be "eh," though. Sound and music is a big thing for me in games. It can almost make or break a game for me.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"His music for NWN was pretty lackluster"

More idiocy. His NWN music was the best he ever made.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom