Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Elder Scrolls Online - gone B2P

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
I have yet to play an MMO that changed noticeably on a fundamental level from beta to live.

Yeah, by the time they get past the friends & family phase, most everything is set in stone already. But once release hits, those same people start repeating the "future patches will fix it, this is just the release!" mantra.

Sergiu64

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
PVP doesn't mess up class balance, it is a reflection of class balance. It's hilarious (or is that depressing) how people confuse the two so readily. And in any case, yes, the ultimate expression of a virtual world filled with other intelligent players has to be the competition between said players, whether it's against each other directly or against the environment. What do you think people do in the real world?

Yeah, cause people are going to attack the tanks and ignore the healers like the mobs do :roll: Or do you want a game where everyone can do everything equally well? Wtf is a the point of having classes in that case?

The fact that normal PvE mechanics don't work in a PvP setting means that devs have to go all custom on class abilities to have them balanced in a PvP setting. Then they have to balance the PvP rewards vs PvE rewards. Better to make a game focused on PvP to start with, not going to have all those problems.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
Yeah, cause people are going to attack the tanks and ignore the healers like the mobs do :roll:

How many MMOs btw. are there where players can physically block others (collision detection)? Age of Conan had it I think?

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
I don't see how this franchise could be decline any further, but this MMO seems like the killing blow. Im rarely pessemistic about gaims and usually refrain from criticism until they are released, but this seems like a big mistake to me. The whole appeal TES this is to be in a huge immersive world and explore and come across random shit, and now they are WoWifying it and making it multiplayer.

I think... im starting to become one with the codex... if only I could learn to hate bioware and SW:TOR, then I could truly fit in....
Well, it's not part of the main series and is not done by Bethesda itself, so it may actually help incline the series if it bombs badly and generates enough rage.

If Elder Scrolls Online crashed, it'd probably end the series due to the bad PR it would get.

See: SW:ToR

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Bethesda isn't EA that has over 9000 franchises running, they have TES and to a lesser degree Fallout( :( ) as their cash cows. They can't afford to kill off their biggest moneymaker because of a failed MMO.

Black

Arcane
They're just smaller EA, they already devoured Arkane, id and Fallout. The only difference between bethesda and ea is scale.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
Well they've run out of provinces in Tamriel that can be medieval white people provinces, they got to think of something

Colonisation of Akavir by the superior western Imperials. Can't wait to enslave those monkey people.:incline:

Tang Mo are generous and kind monkey-people. Tang Mo translates as "The Thousand Monkey Isles", which refers to the area where they live. There are various breeds of Tang Mo. They are very brave and simple, and many are also believed to be insane. They can raise armies when they must, for all of the other Akaviri nations have, at one time or another, tried to enslave them.

Zeriel

Arcane
"They are very brave and simple."

In before racist imperial lore books in TES VI explaining that Redguards are actually Tang Mo who immigrated to Tamriel.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
This will bomb. But there will still be TES VI and VII and VIII and etc. and they will all sell millions of copies.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
This will bomb. But there will still be TES VI and VII and VIII and etc. and they will all sell millions of copies.

Will be interesting to see how reductive they can go with the series, and at what point they'll just drop the pretense and stop calling them arrpeegees.

*Interesting as in watching a train wreck happen.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I don't personally see this being a complete train wreck that was TOR. I think it will actually do OK.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
I don't personally see this being a complete train wreck that was TOR. I think it will actually do OK.

Yeah, as long as they don't try to go the subscription route (pay to play would work out just fine most likely).

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor

My thinking is that most TES fans these days are fans because of the 'open world' do whatever you want type of thing. That's naturally going to be constrained in an MMO format. Granted I haven't been following development but it seems to be a standard 'Kill X bears' type of game where you are shuttled from one zone to another.

Ehon Asko

Novice
I don't get why Skyrim fanboys are whining since that game is just like playing crappy single player content of an average grindy mmo so whats their porblem with eso?

Exar Kun

Scholar

Definitely the most likely scenario.

Its really frustrating though... not like I really like TES or anything but a TES game in MMO format just seems to contradict the entire point..

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom