Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Soul Sacrifice on Vita

Repressed Homosexual
Anyone is interested in playing this? It looks quite cool and innovative, comes out at the end of the month. It seems to be a mix of Monster Hunter and Dark Souls, with a unique gameplay system and the latter's dark fantasy atmosphere, only more twisted.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I will be reviewing it for our magazine. If everything goes right, i will get a review code before release.

Hobz

Savant
Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
The game looks good. None of my friends have a vita though so I'll have to rely on strangers (or codexers maybe :oops:) to enjoy the multiplayer.

It sucks that the original voices are tied to pre-order. I might consider it if the demo and reviews are convincing enough. Looking forward to your impressions J_C.

Repressed Homosexual
The game looks good. None of my friends have a vita though so I'll have to rely on strangers (or codexers maybe :oops:) to enjoy the multiplayer.

It sucks that the original voices are tied to pre-order. I might consider it if the demo and reviews are convincing enough. Looking forward to your impressions J_C.

Really? For the North American edition too? Time to pre-order I guess.

Share your impressions when you have them, I want to read trustworthy ones from a non-weaboo source, they tend to overhype Japanese stuff.

phanboy_iv

Liturgist
Playing the demo. It's, uh, very different in presentation. Interesting narrative ideas. Kinda cool. Mission-based, not open world. Obtuse in a good way at first. Terribly grim, especially if you read the lore of the creatures before you sacrifice them.

Me likey.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I got the review codes, but I can't download it from PSN because it is not on the servers yet. Dammit Sony!

Hobz

Savant
Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
I've tried the demo too. As a disclaimer : I'm not familiar with games like Monster Hunter, I've tried it on Dolphin but got bored pretty early. So I might be impressed by aspects of the game that are considered normal for fans of the genre.

The gameplay is quite interesting. The game is smooth and responsive with 6 "skills" to pick from a very wide and customizable pool. You can fuse and reinforce them and have to be weary of spamming them in combat since they all have a limited number of use and will break if depleted. During missions you have various ways to fill them back up but only to a certain point, so you have to be careful not to bring only your most powerful and sparse spells. On top of that you have several "tattoos" to further customize your character and some sorts of "limit breaks" that will leave you permanently weakened when used. I was impressed but the depth of character customization and the width of play styles offered even in the very early game.

The game is mission-based, which means no free-roaming, I guess it makes sense for a handled game but I hope it won't turn out too repetitive in the long run.

I really dig the atmosphere and style of the game, it won't please everybody but technically it's very well done. The Lore section really add to the grimness and makes for an interesting read. Makes me wish there was a similar feature in Dark Souls.

Repressed Homosexual
I am keeping my preorder since it has the Codex seal of approval, and a very high quality, original game on a fantastic handheld like the Vita deserves support.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Looks like something wich has production values close to the PS3. No wonder third-parties are shunning the Vita. Maybe if the hardware sells at least 20+ million units it's worth to put out an exclusive game on it.

Repressed Homosexual
After trying the game I must say I am disappointed. The atmosphere is good yes, but the game looks limited. I don't like this Monster Hunter kind of controls, I just find it is slow and dumb, and I hate having to use the left shoulder button. Not buying for now.

I tried the demo for Gravity Rush too, and this one looks far more interesting.

I might try Soul Sacrifice later when it's on a discount, but it really looks like a game built almost only with multiplayer in mind. I definitely recognize traces of Inafune's Lost Planet design in this, and I wasn't really fond of Lost Planet.

Also I tried the Ragnarok action RPG, now this one is total garbage, don't play this.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
After trying the game I must say I am disappointed. The atmosphere is good yes, but the game looks limited. I don't like this Monster Hunter kind of controls, I just find it is slow and dumb, and I hate having to use the left shoulder button. Not buying for now.

I might try Soul Sacrifice later when it's on a discount, but it really looks like a game built almost only with multiplayer in mind. I definitely recognize traces of Inafune's Lost Planet design in this, and I wasn't really fond of Lost Planet.

Also I tried the Ragnarok action RPG, now this one is total garbage, don't play this.
While I can feel this limitation in some places, I'm far from dissapointed. The only limitation we have is the game being based on small battle arenas. There is zero exploration, there are no maps to discover, you are just dropped into a small to medium sized place, and FIGHT. But everything else is fantastic IMO. There are lots and lots of spells (the whole combat system is based on spells), you can upgrade them, fuse them (making new spells). Character development is limited in a sense that you don't gain XP, but you improve your defense, health or attack, by deciding whether you save or sacrafice your enemies. You gather different sigils, which can be used to customize your right hand, and through that, your attributes. The coop battles are easy to jump into, they are like boss battles of Dark Shouls. Funny that you can also save or sacrifice your allies in battles. Saving means that you heal them, sacrificing them means you unleash some badass spell.

The game is also challenging in places, not Dark Souls level of challange, but it is not a cake walk.

The graphics are not amazing, not even for a Vita game, because I've seen sharper, more detailed games, but the art design is very good. This is accompanied by an amazing sound design and an interesting story about a sorcerer, who lives in a twisted world, where sorcerers are monster hunters. S/he looses someone close to him, which causes him slowly falling into madness.

I tried the demo for Gravity Rush too, and this one looks far more interesting.
That's an exceptionally good game, have fun with it. :)

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
So, bros, I've tried it today (got it from PS+, so basically didn't spend anything) and the gameplay occurred to be a chain of arena monster fights (is that the kind of Monster Hunter gameplay?) and I must say that I was pretty much disappointed by the game.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I think it could be fun playing with others, but I have no clue how to play online. My next mission is to defeat the harpy. I usually don't play these types of games, but I thought I would try the online portion of the game. It seems I'm too stupid to do even that.

Blackguard

Learned
So Soul Sacrifce Delta is available in EU/NA PSN store now. Obviously haven't had much time to play it yet, but from what I've heard it should be improved version of SS with a TON of extra content.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom