Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Incursion is to be "considered dead"

Shannow

Waster of Time
... or at least it's on indefinate hold :(

Wednesday, April 13th, 2013. Version 0.6.9I

I have some news that I know is going to disappoint people, but I wanted to be honest about it.
Since just before Christmas 2012, I have been working on a different project unrelated to Incursion in either its tabletop RPG or roguelike game forms. My new project is a post-apocalyptic tabletop game; I don't want to talk about too much yet because I have nothing to show, I'm not sure if I'll be releasing it under my real name and it's not especially relevant to this community. It was supposed to be a brief diversion after which I would return to Incursion, but has grown far more substantial at this point (though it is still far more finite and contained than the elaborate design for Incursion had become).
This is something which kind of grabbed my attention and inspired me, and I have neglected to look at this forum as a result. I saw the discussion here about status when I re- approved Thrydon, and I felt obligated to say something as this has gone on too long.
Incursion is a huge, huge project with a vast amount of labor invested. At the same time, it is not currently in a playable state as either a tabletop RPG or a roguelike computer game, and there's a lot of work before it will get there. I'm not "abandoning" it, and I'm not releasing the sources -- but I also haven't been actively developing it for about four months now, and I wanted to be honest with people about that.
When will new Incursion come? I don't know. At this point, maybe some years in the future -- or maybe never. It's far too much an investment of labor for me to want to throw it away, but it's status for now is "shelved". I know that will disappoint people, and I'm sorry. I'm not really able to work in things in my spare time when other, different things have my interest far more strongly, and that's my situation right now.
It would be best for everyone concerned if people considered Incursion dead at this point. It's not precisely true -- I do plan to get back to it someday -- but I don't feel people should be waiting on news for a game that isn't actively being developed at the moment and has had a huge amount of time since the last release.
I want to offer sincere thanks to everyone who supported the game and showed interest, and I'm sorry I don't have anything more appealing to tell you.
http://www.incursion-roguelike.net/

Stabwound

Arcane
This was no real surprise, but it's still sad. Incursion was the roguelike equivalent of Grimoire, except with somehow an even greater chance of being vaporware.

Good troll by Mother Russia: roguelikes and Incursion in particular are infinitely more fun, tactical, challenging and like classic CRPGs than 99% of bullshit 3rd person action "RPGs" we get today.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Sad, but not surprising. Incursion ever getting a major update again would have been the real surprise.

I do wish he'd be a bro and release the source though, there's probably more than a few people out there who'd be interested in finishing the game. And it's not like he couldn't do whatever he intended with it just because someone else made their version of it.

Mother Russia

Andhaira
Andhaira
Dumbfuck Queued
Codex 2013
This was no real surprise, but it's still sad. Incursion was the roguelike equivalent of Grimoire, except with somehow an even greater chance of being vaporware.

Good troll by Mother Russia: roguelikes and Incursion in particular are infinitely more fun, tactical, challenging and like classic CRPGs than 99% of bullshit 3rd person action "RPGs" we get today.

No. They aren't. Sometimes, shit is just that: shit. No matter if it is covered by gorgeous graphics and animations and great frames per second, or if it appears to have lots and lots of 'old school' text and flavor and classes and spells and yadda yadda yadda. Shit flows both ways you see.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Are you really trying to start a discussion with an obvious stupid troll?
Better ask him if Cloud's sword is so awful because it can slay Djinnis. (But please in another thread. This thread is about us being sad but not surprized. Well, "us" apart from me. In my naivety I was still expecting his anounced re-code...)

Stabwound

Arcane
Nah, I realize he's trolling, but I'd love to hear which roguelikes he's played extensively to reach such a conclusion. :smug:

hrose

Educated
This is one of those projects doomed from the beginning.

Instead of improving the current Incursion, that is already an amazing project, he decided to restart from scratch and... several years later he's not even at the point where the previous Incursion was. And now it's dead.

This is a problem with pet-projects driven by programmers who prefer to rewrite the same stuff over and over instead of actually making progress. If the guy spent the same amount of hours on Incursion 1, instead of 2, he would have achieved something AMAZING.

Instead he got nothing and all the work is useless because he doesn't even want to open source.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
This is one of those projects doomed from the beginning.

Instead of improving the current Incursion, that is already an amazing project, he decided to restart from scratch and... several years later he's not even at the point where the previous Incursion was. And now it's dead.

This is a problem with pet-projects driven by programmers who prefer to rewrite the same stuff over and over instead of actually making progress. If the guy spent the same amount of hours on Incursion 1, instead of 2, he would have achieved something AMAZING.

Instead he got nothing and all the work is useless because he doesn't even want to open source.
Sounds like that thing that Cleve was doing.

Oarfish

Prophet
The bit where he turned it from roguelike development into a programming language research project was probably the give away that is wasn't going to get finished. Unless your second name is Knuth, writing a language to get your project finished faster is rarely a good choice.

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
Damn. Well, I guess this is my inspiration to finally play Incursion properly, always been putting it off while waiting for a more "complete" version (yes, this process has been ongoing for several years).

MisterStone

Arcane
No. They aren't. Sometimes, shit is just that: shit. No matter if it is covered by gorgeous graphics and animations and great frames per second, or if it appears to have lots and lots of 'old school' text and flavor and classes and spells and yadda yadda yadda. Shit flows both ways you see.

He's right guys... to be honest I only play roguelikes because the "'old school' text and flavor" impress gullible young hardcore gamer poseurs and score me tons of sweet poonanie.

Groof

Educated
The bit where he turned it from roguelike development into a programming language research project was probably the give away that is wasn't going to get finished. Unless your second name is Knuth, writing a language to get your project finished faster is rarely a good choice.

To get your project finished faster it's probably bad choice, but if it's because just because it is awesome choice.

Alex

Arcane
I wished he would release what he has as open source code. That way people who were inspired by the project enough could try to continue it.

Oarfish

Prophet

To get your project finished faster it's probably bad choice, but if it's because just because it is awesome choice.

Well yes, but it's probably going to be the difference between masterbation and sex when you have an audience.

Groof

Educated
Least enlightening metaphor.

Guessing you're saying mostly the same thing again..?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom