Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

For all Mech lovers

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Both Mechcommander games are released for free download here. OMGWTFBBQ. I played the first one a long time ago and I have some fond memories... which I'll probably shatter by playing it now, but I'll try.

You can get Mechcommander 2 source code here:D

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
No idea, downloading Gold version now... Maybe it includes the maps and the patch you have to manually install for the first version?
Hm..., GameSpot review here: a new campaign, new Mechs, new interface options.

Gambler

Augur
I have Mech Commander 2 jevel case. I quit playing, becuse it looked like a lame RTS without all those customization and tacticsl options I would expect from a Mech game. Am I missing something?

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
I've done Full Install with MC2 ISO they provided, but they kept asking for the CD when I run it. I don't see any crack .exe provided with it.

Anyone knows how to solve this?

obediah

Erudite
I bought MC1 when it was released. I got 3-4 missins into it before I fell into an RTS coma. If I remember the mech configuration was meh, and the gameplay was to wander around the map and situation your mechs at the right distance from a target depening on your weapons and wait for the target to die. Repeat until the map was celar.

It may have been the first battletech game I played that sucked donkey balls.

Slith

Scholar
Eh, it's alright. I do remember looking everywhere for the game a few months ago. I was hoping to find it in someone's bargain bin for about 5 bucks. No luck.

Anyways, I would really like for someone to make a Mechwarrior game based on the actual ruleset in Battletech. I mean, not an actual straight port of the rules, there's no real need for hexes on the computer, but turn based would be a big plus, and it would definately need good pilot and mech customization.

If I had to make a quick layout of what I'd like to see:

-Turn Based or maybe a highly Tactical Real-Time system.

-A galaxy-wide metagame. You control force deployment, weapon research, etc. This is the part where you raise and train your troops. Most worlds can draft small time militia, but you'll need one of the big manufacturing planets if you want the high tech assault mechs. Then there's also the logistics involved with keeping a planet like that going.

-There'll HAVE to be some sort of political or diplomatic gameplay here, that's the life and blood of Battletech. Make it different from the way the history was written too - maybe House Liao makes an agreement with Smoke Jaguar and a lane to Sol is made for the Clans - Smoke Jaguar doesn't get annhilated and House Liao gets to keep some autonomy under Clan rule. Next game things are different.

-Actual combined arms. It's not just an army of mechs running around, you'l have mechanized infantry, mobile artillery, airborne cavalry, and the logistical assets required to keep those operating on a world. Just like present day warfare.

-Fleet engagements, and following them, orbital bombardment, including the use of giant asteroids to render the surface effectively uninhabitable for the next couple hundred years.

-Battlefield gameplay that involves good use of tactics; High ground, ambush, ECM, using hills to keep your forces hidden, ordering tanks to go hull down, having artillery that actually reaches several miles, and so on. Specifically no Command and Conquer or Starcraft style 'build your force on the battlefield and zerg rush/tank rush the enemy.' Your forces consist of what you have at that location at that point in time - just like it would be in reality. If the enemy launches a massive offensive on a backwater planet with a small militia guard, you're going lose that planet. It's war, things aren't going to be fair, so keep your enemy off balance.

-Guerilla warfare. Not exactly sure what ways are good but I have some ideas:
A planet with a population loyal to your cause is going to be rebellious when they are conquered, people might steal some tanks or mechs and fight back. The AI handles day to day problems [terrorist attacks, small engagements, raids on military stations] by itself. [If the player takes a planet and has problems with rebellion, he can choose different strategies of dealing with it] Control of the rebels goes to the player if he or she attempts to retake a planet under control of the enemy AI, so long as the rebels are organized enough and loyal to the player. [Control is only possible if the player is able to communicate in some way with the rebels.] Possibly allowing for first strike operations by rebels on the surface that enable an orbital force to attack a weakened enemy, or land without getting shot to bits. The rebels could be another sort of diplomatic faction, and an entrenched covert ops network can help maintain communication with these rebels, as well as reduce or eliminate rival operations. [I'm thinking along the lines of getting an agent undercover to meet with rebels on a planet, and discussing strategies with them - "Launch an attack on this date at these facilities, don't worry, we'll be in orbit and ready to attack." [Naturally, something might come up that prevents you from being there, or getting word to the rebels that plans have changed. They'll still launch an attack - and possibly get wiped out if you're not there to save them.]

Okay, I'm going to stop there because it's late, and I'm probably incoherent and rambling.

Severian Silk

Slith said:
Anyways, I would really like for someone to make a Mechwarrior game based on the actual ruleset in Battletech. I mean, not an actual straight port of the rules, there's no real need for hexes on the computer, but turn based would be a big plus, and it would definately need good pilot and mech customization.
MegaMek

Slith

Scholar
Mikail said:

I've already played megamek. I should've mentioned that somewhere. Anyways, as fun as the game is, it takes too long. 6 mechs on one side, 6 mechs on the other, and a game will last anywhere from 1-4 hours.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
baby arm said:
Ah, thanks for that. I had forgotten about MegaMek.

Has anyone tried Titans of Steel? Is it worth the $20?

The original Titans of Steel is freeware. The new one(Warring Suns) is the commercial one. It's based on a KICK ASS Amiga game which was based on BattleTech. In fact, MechForce for the Amiga is about as close to a Battletech computer game as I've ever played. It had everything from character levelling and skills, to a complete pantheon of battlemechs, to multiple mission types and a map editor, etc. The only thing MechForce was missing was an actual game world or campaign.

I really need to buy Warring Suns and check it out. ToS is a lot different from Battletech, but other than the totally different rules and such, it's pretty close to the original MechForce. ToS's AI is a bit unforgiving for n00bz, though.

Thrawn05

Scholar
Speaking of Mech strategy games, I was always curious about what happened to Dominion, the tactical game based on G-Nome. I remember reading some stuff about it and then nothing.

Did it ever get released and if so, is it worth taking the time looking through bargin bins to get it?

Severian Silk

Saint_Proverbius said:
The original Titans of Steel is freeware. The new one(Warring Suns) is the commercial one. It's based on a KICK ASS Amiga game which was based on BattleTech. In fact, MechForce for the Amiga is about as close to a Battletech computer game as I've ever played. It had everything from character levelling and skills, to a complete pantheon of battlemechs, to multiple mission types and a map editor, etc. The only thing MechForce was missing was an actual game world or campaign.
Is MechForce the same thing as ToS 1? Which game is based off of MechForce? I'm confused.

obediah

Erudite
Kizmiaz said:
So, is the release of these as freeware an attempt to wet our appetite for an upcoming MC 3?

Damnit, like every 7 months you post something and make me feel guilty for taking a duplicate avatar. I've lurked since 2002 and still didn't know it was taken when I finally broke down and registered.

EEVIAC

Erudite
Mikail said:
Is MechForce the same thing as ToS 1? Which game is based off of MechForce? I'm confused.

MechForce was Amiga only as far as I know. ToS was influenced heavily by MechForce, as is Gearhead.

Nightjed

Liturgist
Missionforce Cyberstorm might be much older but kicks Mechcommander ass any day, i just wish Cyberstorm 2 would become abandonware allready, ive given up waiting for a third one... meh...

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
RK47 said:
I've done Full Install with MC2 ISO they provided, but they kept asking for the CD when I run it. I don't see any crack .exe provided with it.

Anyone knows how to solve this?
Google for a no-cd thingamajig. There's two to choose from, I believe. Pick one and play.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom