Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Hex Based Map and Movement In CRPG

mytgroo

Scholar
I was looking at the screenshots at worthplaying for Battle Lords and Ascension to the Throne, both of these are combined RPG strategy games. They both showed screens with hex based maps. I am interested in any feedback on how this woud work. I have an idea on how they do it on tabletop games, especially modern battle games with hex maps like Battletech, but I am not sure how they would implement it in a CRPG. It looks very interesting.

LCJr.

Erudite
It'd never work in a cRPG. Thats why it's never been done in any cRPG ever.

obediah

Erudite
mytgroo said:
I have an idea on how they do it on tabletop games, especially modern battle games with hex maps like Battletech,

Then you have an idea of how they would do it in a CRPG.

Deathy

Liturgist
obediah said:
mytgroo said:
I have an idea on how they do it on tabletop games, especially modern battle games with hex maps like Battletech,

Then you have an idea of how they would do it in a CRPG.

In terms of design, yeah.

Implementation would involve some basic trigonometry (to draw the grid) and graph theory (for pathfinding algorithms), but it wouldn't differ much from the standard 8-way-movement square grids.

mytgroo

Scholar
Hexes are visible.

The difference is that hexes are visible on the player map. Usually you don't see the map layout. There are a lot of games where it could be possible that they do this, you just don't see it visibly while you are playing.

Greatatlantic

Erudite
I'm sure it was English as a second language that threw you. Anyways, Hexes are in my mind a superior alternative to squares. The problem with squares is moving diagnol clearly carries you further in terms of distance, but often systems charge the same amount to as going crossing an edge. Hexes, however, are equally distant from all bordering hexes, so diagonal movement is much more natural, as is all movement.

Obviously, you need a third person "looking down" perspective to use hexes though.

crufty

Arcane
Logisitcally, hexes are referred to by hex row and column, so internal storage mechanisms should be identical to square maps. ie Hex 10,10 is the same as Square 10,10. The only difference is movement from one grid location to the other is different. From Hex 1010 you can move to 0910 1009 1011 1109 1110 1111. Whereas square tiles would be 0910 1009 1011 1110.

Thus you could have a map drawn in square tiles but use hex based movement. In traditional physical terms the value of the hex is the value of the terrain at the center of the hex. If map geometry is not used for movement boundries, then you need additional hexside costing information (ie there is a wall between hex 1010 and 1011 (the NE direction) so movement is prohibited.

One way, anyway.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Re: Hexes are visible.

mytgroo said:
The difference is that hexes are visible on the player map. Usually you don't see the map layout. There are a lot of games where it could be possible that they do this, you just don't see it visibly while you are playing.

Divine Divinity did it also.

As for why they don't smack you in the face with the THIS IS HEX thing and use strange projections instead to keep you from noticing is simple. Most people don't build six sided houses with 60 degree corners.

mytgroo

Scholar
Movement and lines of fire are eas

I like the hex based system when it is visible in a way. It gives clearer lines of fire and better movement options than the grid system. I know the few times I played the tabletop games it was much easier to use. Movement and lines of fire were much easier to do.

Of course this is a fantasy setting so it would make sense for elves and orcs to have six sided houses...

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Re: Movement and lines of fire are eas

mytgroo said:
I like the hex based system when it is visible in a way. It gives clearer lines of fire and better movement options than the grid system. I know the few times I played the tabletop games it was much easier to use. Movement and lines of fire were much easier to do.

Of course this is a fantasy setting so it would make sense for elves and orcs to have six sided houses...

Well, ya still got it in games like Fallout. You could also check out Titans of Steel, which is hex based.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom