Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Recommendation of Storyfag Strategy Games

Name

Cipher
I see there is a similiar post eight years back, so I brazenly make a new post about this.

I know this is quite preposterous, but I must ask, are there any recommendation regarding strategy games with good writing?

I'll contribute some examples(recommendations) here:

1.Real-time strategy (not interested now, give me handaches too quick)
Starcraft I: grimdark space WARRR with some female superagent I forgot about her name
Homeworld series: high-tech space opera with no details
Act of War: Cinematic Experience with modern setting!
Red Alert 2: Over-the-top Cinematic Experience!
Nexus Jupiter Incident: Best space game. The Detail! The Story! The Atmosphere! It's a shame their crowdfunding always fail.
Spellforce 2: Better-paced then the original one, the story always integrates with gameplay.
2.4X
Alpha Centauri: Best Sci-fi 4X! Incredible writing and has an in-game storyline, a rare treat from a 4X game.
Age of Wonders: Epic saga. Can stay both serious and humorous at the same time. Tolkienish at first sight, then totally quickly avoid/subvert it. Don't mind what they will do to AOW3, just give me a on par campaign.
King Arthur 2: The campaign is ridiculously hand-holded, and I auto-resolved all the battles that can be auto-resolved, but its writing and music is pretty good!
3.Other Turn/Phase-based
Sangokushi Sousouden: Following history/novel first, then Choices lead to branches of three storyline.
Sangokushi Koumeiden: Novelized Zhuge Liang is too cool.
King of Dragon Pass: Great writing deriving from source materials.
Frozen Synapse: Despite story being filler materials, it really comes together in the last two missions.
X-COM Enemy Unknowned Again: Though the ending falls apart and the middle is a little repetitive, it has good enough writing.

I see I'm currently limited to PC...

spectre

Arcane
Jagged Alliance 2. Duh, no-brainer.

Lesss obvious:
Galactic Civilizations series is very story-centric, but I couldn't really get into it. Prominent stories in 4x games don't go down well with me.
Endless Space isn't story-centric, but it has lots of atmospheric descriptions that really add to the game (for factions and planet systems). Unfortunately, it was not a good 4x on release. Got bit better with patches.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
midwinter (recruiting requires thinking about a web of relationships)
jagged alliance 2 (if you delve on the mercs personalties and ignore sci-fi mode)
Sacrifice (great! But plays like a over the shoulder RTS)
Elite first encounters (main quest)
Syndicate wars (more or less. Actually, less, but the briefings are interesting)
Sword of the samurai (very atmospheric, quick and addictive. It's like pirates, but better and more 'poetic')
Floor 13 (makes fun of some old british scandals and conspiracies)
Myth 1 & 2

ohWOW

Sucking on dicks and being proud of it
Dumbfuck Queued
Act of War

AhahahAHahhahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Get the fuck out.

spectre

Arcane
Fuck yes, this. #1 is easily the best, but #3 is also ok.

SCO said:
Syndicate wars (more or less. Actually, less, but the briefings are interesting)
While it's highly debatable if Syndicate counts as a strategy game (I was considering it myself), it has very good cyberpunk atmosphere. A storyfag won't be dissapointed.

Silent Storm: Hammer and Sickle is more story driven than the previous 2 (I would consider it the most RPGy of the bunch. It's much less accessible than the previous two, though. You could still try Sentinels.

Ovg

Cipher
Hammer and Sickle needs a walkthrough though.

Warcraft 3 was very storyfaggy, but not very good.
Company of Heroes (band of brothers anyone?)
Men of War had some individual soldiers

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Warhammer: Shadow of the Horned Rat and Dark Omen, real time warhammer games with a branching narrative campaign.

catfood

AGAIN
Oh, if we're on the subject of branching campaigns then I HIGHLY recommend Battle Realms. The control is kinda clunky but it has a completely non-linear campaign that let's you choose allegiances during the campaign and thus affect the story.

EDIT: not to mention that its unit recruitment and upgrade system is pretty unique as well.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
You can add Big Bang Age, and that game with
fzqLJbj.jpg

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Well, Der Langrisser is a obvious storyfag SJRPG. I wouldn't call the story good but it has many paths: spoiler
which is more than usual (tactics ogre series, fftactics, some others)

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
I doubt anyone knows about this game as its ancient like hell - 1997 if I'm not mistaken. Spellcross, the only way to get it' it seems, is via torrent. Some wacky sci-fi vs fantasy turn based tactical strategy. Looks crappy but surprisingly nice gameplay. Features story divided by chapters-campaigns. Sadly, in a traditional manner - "good guys defeated on all fronts - hold the line- counterstrike-etc". Had research, unit experience, healing times, resource mannagement and upgrades.
http://1-media-cdn.foolz.us/ffuuka/board/tg/image/1349/87/1349873055367.png[/spoiler]

KoolNoodles

Arcane
I'll second Silent Storm games if you want your Xcom-like story fix. Myth 1&2 if you want a slower paced Squad/RTS with good story/art/music, damn those games were fucking great. Disciples 2 for TBS strategy with good atmosphere etc. since you mentioned Age of Wonders(similar, but more like King's Bounty).

After a thought or two, I'll add Crusader Kings 2. Make your own massive family lineage story. :smug:

dibens

as seen on shoutbox
Patron
HoMM 4 OC

No really, I'm not trolling. The walls of text in between the turns are a great read and stories of heroes stranded in the new world are engaging and personal. I especially liked the chaos and might campaigns.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom