Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Titan: Blizzard's cancelled MMO.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Well, when you tab target, you watch to see who the fuck you're target is. Not tab then immediately faceroll FFS

Hehe i was such a huntard back then, maybe The Huntard even. They only take for my huge DPS (%100 more damage on crits O_o) and kiting skills. Never saw actual last boss fight (general Draksomething?) till I roll a druid.

Pika-Cthulhu

Arcane
Tab targeting is pretty much the only viable thing in a MMO.

Tell this to my group mates, they nearly skinned me alive when I tab tarrgetted and attacked orcs at balcony in UBRS and pulling them all inside the arena:D Best part was they had no idea about what happened till I told them...
Love them ninja pulls with my huntard always worth -DKP :=D

One thing I liked with Aion (One of the few things) was the ability to target via marks, the leader could mark targets with icons, then members of the group/raid could just press the key to target that icon and then unload. Made dungeons less of a hassle, and when in ventrillo in PvP raids all you would hear is 'Kill skull ..... kill skull ...... kill skull' as our ranger selected the juicy targets for the templars to pull and the group to squish. Mind you, the dungeons were difficult enough to warrant having this system, and losing exp was really annoying, but not as bad as lineage where you would go down a level.

Fuck alquima research base and the bugged as fuck book drops.

Data4

Arcane
TAB targeting in combat.

aaaand interest is gone.

Well you are more patient then me, mine gone at
It will have a "deep history", just as Warcraft and Starcraft
>_>

I hope it is at least something fresh, playing Secret World nowadays, Investigation quests and setting is helluva good but combat is plain boring. Can only tolarete that game with me gang.

Edit:
I really wonder how this will effect WoW in terms of player base.

I guess my ADD isn't as bad as I thought. I was able to hang on til the mention of e-sports before losing it.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Sounds a lot like Secret World, with all that earth story, myths & time-travelling...

They're intending to include many Warcraft elements into Titan's world. Mostly Easter Eggs, but can also extend to entire characters being ported into the new game, one way or another.
"Our story is so deep and engaiging we'll borrow Thrall from WoW to make people care!" :roll:

Heavy use of Greek, Roman and Viking myths.
Oh FFS, is ANY western developer nowadays aware that we have many other cultures in this world, and that naming your wolf-like boss Fenhir ISN"T a masterstroke of cultural references?

Dexter

Arcane
http://venturebeat.com/2013/05/28/b...mo-until-2016-resets-whole-project-exclusive/

Blizzard Entertainment makes a mint from its World of Warcraft franchise, and the gaming giant has had an unannounced massively multiplayer online (MMO) role-playing game in the works for some time. But GamesBeat has learned that Blizzard has decided to push the reset button, according to a source familiar with the matter.

The team of 100 developers working on the MMO, codenamed “Titan,” has been reduced by 70 positions, and Blizzard is reassigning those people to other work. Meanwhile, the core of the team will start over on Titan. The title is now not expected to be published until 2016 at the earliest.

We have asked Blizzard for an official comment on Titan’s status.

Blizzard’s World of Warcraft has been generating $1 billion or so in revenues for years, with millions of players paying for subscriptions. But the game fell by 1.3 million subscribers in the first quarter of 2013 to just above 8 million, down from 10 million last year. This is down from a peak of 12 million subscribers. That’s a steep drop, and this suggests that Blizzard really ought to get on with the publication of its new MMO.

But Blizzard’s development teams aren’t known for their speed. The publisher often cancels projects that have been in the works for years if it believes that those games don’t meet its standard of quality. Word of the unannounced MMO has been leaking out for a couple of years now, but Blizzard has never officially named the project — Titan was a leaked codename –nor set a release date for it. Many have been expecting the game to debut in early 2014 because of a leak of its early schedule. It’s not clear whether that schedule was accurate or not, but it led people to believe that the Titan would come either late this year or early 2014.

The problem with delaying the game is that Blizzard will face a lot more competition. Bethesda Softworks plans to show a version of its The Elder Scrolls Online at the upcoming E3 trade show, and it showed us more about the game in a preview and interview that we ran this morning.

Now that the project has been supposedly reset, it doesn’t look like it’ll be coming out anytime soon. Meanwhile, it will be a big test in the market for Blizzard to hang on to its World of Warcraft subscribers at a time when many other MMOs have gone completely free-to-play. Blizzard has held off on the free-to-play business model in favor of paid subscriptions, but it has made concessions, such as making the first 20 levels of the game free.

We first reported on Titan back in 2011. Blizzard chief operating officer Paul Sams told us in an interview that “we have taken some of our most experienced developers and put them on [Titan]. We believe we have a dream team. These are the people who made World of Warcraft a success. We are going to blow people’s minds.”

But Blizzard made no official announcement, even though it put a large number of developers to work on the project.

Mike Morhaime, the head of Blizzard ( a division of Activision Blizzard), told employees a few days ago that Blizzard is very “iterative” in how it creates games and it never hesitates to do the right thing when it comes to developing games. Recently, Blizzard reviewed Titan and concluded it needed big design and technology changes to meet the bar for quality. As the core team figures out what to do, Blizzard is shifting developers to work on World of Warcraft, Blizzard All-Stars, the Diablo III expansion, cinematics and Battle.net.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Not even "old Blizzard" would manage to release something exciting in MMO format nowadays, this popamole machine that did Diablo 3 has no chance... they should just cancel the project.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Lol, wonder if they're going to fire Jeff 'Tigole Bitties' Kaplan. He's been 'working' on this for the last three or four years and now they're just going to start all over? Iterative? No shit. Every development studio is iterative in their design process.

Oh, this also screams 'delayed so it can be redesigned around next gen consoles.'

J1M

Arcane
Nobody is going to rat on Kaplan. He let them take a salary by working reverse crunch time for 4 years, lol.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Honestly I think it's been even longer. I believe he left the WoW team after Burning Crusade which was like... 2007/8?

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
The problem with delaying the game is that Blizzard will face a lot more competition. Bethesda Softworks plans to show a version of its The Elder Scrolls Online [...]

What competition? All "competition" automatically disintegrates itself because it's trying to be WoW, a shit game noone wants (except when it's made by blizzard).

Data4

Arcane
The problem with delaying the game is that Blizzard will face a lot more competition. Bethesda Softworks plans to show a version of its The Elder Scrolls Online [...]

What competition? All "competition" automatically disintegrates itself because it's trying to be WoW, a shit game noone wants (except when it's made by blizzard).

I know this has got to chip away at my meager KKK, but early talk about Everquest 3 (next, whatever) is that it's hitting the right marks. The first look at it should be at the next Fan Faire, or whatever they're calling it now in August.

Gerrard

Arcane
So the development is following in the footsteps of Diablo 3.

Rename this thread to "LOL BLIZZARD!".

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Yeah, if your company keeps wasting YEARS of development by doing shitty games you don't even dare to release, then you say that fucking Diablo 3 was the best you could do in 10 years, is time to just give up. Warcraft Adventures, Starcraft: Ghost, Diablo 3 and now Titan... if it weren't for WoW's infinite money generation, they would've closed a long time ago...

Ehon Asko

Novice
Tab target combat is shit and left click spam with dodge roll is also shit combat. Call me when there is a mmo with mount & blade like combat.

abija

Prophet
Warcraft Adventures, Starcraft: Ghost, Diablo 3 and now Titan... if it weren't for WoW's infinite money generation, they would've closed a long time ago...
Yeah, poor guys, D3 such a flop, bet they didn't even get return on investment...

Not even sure why people were expecting Titan before WoW stopped making golden eggs.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Warcraft Adventures, Starcraft: Ghost, Diablo 3 and now Titan... if it weren't for WoW's infinite money generation, they would've closed a long time ago...
Yeah, poor guys, D3 such a flop, bet they didn't even get return on investment...
The shitty game they released could easily be done in 2-3 years, not the insane 11 years of development with multiple resets and staff change... it may have been a big finantial success, but a nice chuck was used to cover those 9 years of developments tha led nowhere...

Maiandros

Learned
Possibly Retarded
sometimes you see posters making deep, intelligent posts to be followed by entirely... 'off' ones..
what is wrong with tab-based combat? Within the MMO context, don't give me the typical Codexian :attitudestuff:
it's like saying i hate respawns in MMOs..nice to know i guess, but...

if you want akshun games, plenty out there..akshun MMOs, a good number of them out as well..MMORPGs though, carebear or otherwise, for the many or the few..there are certain conventions, and for a good reason at that. Technical, economical, gameplay related, fatigue related.

the average subscription MMORPG customer is over his thirties. Yes. If you are as well, go download some crapfest like Tera, or any other akshun MMO, and try playing for 5,6,7 hours in a row..which -is- what your usual MMORPG player does in fact. Then come back and tell if you suffer from tendonitis or not.

put everything under the same spectrum...world doesn't advance much does it;

Mother Russia

Andhaira
Andhaira
Dumbfuck Queued
Codex 2013
Shit gamez gonna be shit, newz @ 11.

Hmm, does any1 think the bad reception of Diablo III is to blame for this somehow?

Also LOL @ 8 Million subs for WoW being alarmingly low. Bioware must be sobbing after reading that (does TOR even have 1-2 million players now?)

Gerrard

Arcane
what is wrong with tab-based combat?
It's shit.

The only reason it exists is because 10 years ago internet and computers weren't good enough to handle actually detecting collisions. But they now they can.

J1M

Arcane
what is wrong with tab-based combat?
It's shit.

The only reason it exists is because 10 years ago internet and computers weren't good enough to handle actually detecting collisions. But they now they can.

"Years ago games were turn-based because computers weren't powerful enough to handle actually computing things in real-time."

:x

Tab targeting has its place. That place being if you want to make a game where your character doesn't spend most of its time flailing at air and your players do not spend most of their time trying to aim their mouse cursor.

Gerrard

Arcane
"Years ago games were turn-based because computers weren't powerful enough to handle actually computing things in real-time."

:x

Tab targeting has its place. That place being if you want to make a game where your character doesn't spend most of its time flailing at air and your players do not spend most of their time trying to aim their mouse cursor.
They aren't fucking turn based, that's the problem. If they were, I wouldn't have a problem with it.

And flailing at air is exactly what you do in those games. Flailing while skating.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom