Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Endless Space

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Yep, pirates are slowly killing my desire to play. Lost both my heroes (And don't have the money to revive them since I'm paying the upkeep on so many fleets) due to constant pirate fights softening their fleets and then Hissho leaping on them. I theoretically haven't lost the game yet since I've got a couple decent forge systems that can crank out ships are a good rate, but it's turning into a bit of a grind and I'm losing my will to continue that game. Especially with all the pirates, who I recently noticed conquered two Hissho/Sophon systems which might explain why there have been EVEN MORE GODDAMN PIRATES on that side of my empire.

Still, that said it was more enjoyable than the bit I played before any of their mini-expansions. Certainly not my favorite space 4X or anything but it's decent. Apparently they're working on an expansion so maybe that'll fix it up even more.

Hey,

You know you can turn pirates off right ? (maybe that option did not exist in earlier versions?)

Anyway, picked it up on a sale (had it gifted actually) and it replaced Binding of Isaac as the low-intensity 30m-1h time killer game of the moment. After a couple of battles I do tend to auto-resolve combat, and not even bother picking cards as there is too much random involved anyway. Ship aut-upgrade is fucking retarded, packing the ship full of armour for example. Avoid like the plague. AI cheats, would love to see their income from planets versus upkeep of their massive fleets. I do like the diplomacy and how you can instigate wars between rival AI's. Multiplayer never crashed for me.

Hate the way space travel works, and galaxy feels small. Would love to see option for actual Milky Way instead of random (with same names showing up each time..)

Multi-headed Cow

But... But... Turning off game settings flies against everything I believe in!

I actually might switch pirates off next time I play Endless Space, 'cause they were really fucking ridiculous last game. Haven't even finished that game I was playing largely because of getting pissed about the pirates.

tindrli

Arcane
strange.. i never had a problems with pirates.. ever.. usualy buy them off or destroy them asap.. i guess i was lucky

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
They balanced out pirates in first patches, they shouldnt be causing that much problem unless you have only settler ships? Be sure to get them patches. Pirates are in vanilla were the real pain in the ass.

Mortmal

Arcane
I dont remember any balance patch for pirates, last games they fielded more ships than any empire could , absurd . Anyway the game is boring,theeres only a viable path, spam destroyers with 100% weaponry before the AI can cheat too much .

Even after the patches they're still borderline ridiculous at times. And if you're unfortunate enough to get the 'Pirates Want to Make a Deal' event relatively early in the game you're probably hosed. Because you're not likely to have 500 Dust for the middling option, let alone the 2500 they want to completely leave you alone.

So get ready to have five full size pirate fleets right in the middle of your fledgeling territory, and ten turns later expect five more.

Riel

Arcane
Even after the patches they're still borderline ridiculous at times. And if you're unfortunate enough to get the 'Pirates Want to Make a Deal' event relatively early in the game you're probably hosed. Because you're not likely to have 500 Dust for the middling option, let alone the 2500 they want to completely leave you alone.

So get read to have five full size pirate fleets right in the middle of your fledgeling territory, and ten turns later expect five more.

Doh, I supose in certain unlucky rolls pirates can actually become more than a nuissance, but honestly .... the only troublesome pirtate are early pirates, later pirates are quickly obliterated by superior numbers and/or technology, and early pirates come in just one shape full mass drivers, zero defences, anyone geting p0wned by that deserves being destroyed.

KoolNoodles

Arcane
This game was/is just too damn easy and boring because of that. Pretty, "well-made", but boring and easy. Way too easy to create an unstoppable juggernaut, and up until then feels like turn based tower defense. Such wasted potential. I'll never get over that.

ohWOW

Sucking on dicks and being proud of it
Dumbfuck Queued
An add-on is coming

• A brand new Faction called “the Harmony” with a single objective in mind: Annihilate Dust!
  • New Fighter and Bomber units that will completely change the shape of combats, especially with the new Battle Formation and Targeting systems
  • A complete rework of the Ship Design interface, including an improved Weapon System that provides family types for modules (short, medium and long range)
  • New Invasion mechanics have been added: Prepare your population for Bombardments, Sieges and land Invasions!
  • Expect to face a real challenge when playing against AI opponents with the New Adaptive Multi-Agent Artificial Intelligence System (AMAS)
  • Other additions and features voted or requested by the community include:
    - 4 new Heroes [Games2Gether]
    - A new option to disable Exchange of Technologies, as a request from the Multiplayer community!
    - New Rally Points feature for newly built ships to reduce micromanagement
Remaking battles and making brand new invasion system look pretty sweet. Can't say anything about the new AI, but it would be hard to make something worse than it already is.

ohWOW

Sucking on dicks and being proud of it
Dumbfuck Queued
New heroes are irrelevant, as the heroes system is fucked up anyway.

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Wrath
An improved AI sounds great, though! I feel that the retarded - and, on higher difficulties, cheating - AI is one of the major weaknesses of Endless Space, as seems to be the case with most 4X games.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Whyyyyy, why can't they just make Master of Orion 2 with modern graphics and polished interface????
Why this neverending retardation of rock-paper-scissors...

Whyyyyy, why can't they just make Master of Orion 2 with modern graphics and polished interface????
Why this neverending retardation of rock-paper-scissors...

Yeah, plus more space monsters, more random events and more weird planet types. That wouldn't be too hard, would it? But unfortunately it always looks like Sisyphus's work. So much money, effort and time and the game is boring, soulless and forgettable.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Yeah, plus more space monsters, more random events and more weird planet types. That wouldn't be too hard, would it? But unfortunately it always looks like Sisyphus's work. So much money, effort and time and the game is boring, soulless and forgettable.

It does have a nice interface tho, but yes, they went for a style over substance aproach.

Riel

Arcane
Expect to face a real challenge when playing against AI opponents with the New Adaptive Multi-Agent Artificial Intelligence System (AMAS)

So they didn't produce a competent AI in a very simple rule set and now that they add lots of new rules they are going to do it?? I'll believe when I see it.

The features are very neat though, the expansion will probably be worth just for the sake of a couple play throughs.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
It's easier to create AI when there are a lot of complex stuff happening simultaneously. Players are often able to concentrate well only on one task, but even when AI can concentrate on multiple tasks under average, it's still better than concentrate on one task perfectly.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Endless Space problem is not an AI its Rock-Paper-Scissors system with weapons and armor. That thing killed galactic civilizations 2 and will kill ES. Because you gamble and retrofit your ships according to enemy weapon types.
That is why Master of Orion 2 has the best system to date - a lot of weapons but ONE armor and ONE shield. You can add modules that will strenghten various aspects but in the end there is no gambling about "what weapon branch opponent gone".

Multi-headed Cow

I've grown to like Endless Space more as time goes on, but the combat's kind of a pain in the ass (As mentioned by Satan) and I really wish they'd expand the hell out of diplomacy and add espionage. At the moment the game's diplomacy is about as limited as Warlock which is pretty bad, and the lack of any intelligence network for these multi-planet space empires is shameful.

Still, I'll probably pick up the expansion. Don't think I'll Morgoth it but I'll definitely grab it on sale unless they do something terrible.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Endless Space problem is not an AI its Rock-Paper-Scissors system with weapons and armor. That thing killed galactic civilizations 2 and will kill ES. Because you gamble and retrofit your ships according to enemy weapon types.
That is why Master of Orion 2 has the best system to date - a lot of weapons but ONE armor and ONE shield. You can add modules that will strenghten various aspects but in the end there is no gambling about "what weapon branch opponent gone".

Im no programmer but how hard would it be to make AI actually scout to check how much "points" (assigned by, for example, total damage in a category) enemies have in their weapon types and react accordingly. Just make a really shitty ship and send like five of those to enemy sectors to engage as many fleets as possible then counter build.

tindrli

Arcane
I've grown to like Endless Space more as time goes on, but the combat's kind of a pain in the ass (As mentioned by Satan) and I really wish they'd expand the hell out of diplomacy and add espionage. At the moment the game's diplomacy is about as limited as Warlock which is pretty bad, and the lack of any intelligence network for these multi-planet space empires is shameful.

Still, I'll probably pick up the expansion. Don't think I'll Morgoth it but I'll definitely grab it on sale unless they do something terrible.

so how is it?? did you try it?? any good?

now im playing a shit of distant worlds shadows and most of the time yous confirming suggestions and trying to understand how can i improve something that is already happening. what i realize is that now on the middle game im playing with 0.25x speed coz there is just too much going on and i really cant catch all things .. and im having a really bad bug coz im having like 20 fleets trying to refuel repair and retrofit on the same small space port which is not even in my space but captured pirate base so they are just standing there and i cant even instruct all of them to move.. shit i even manage to move most of them at one point but for some weird reason they just keep coming back.sadly i dont know if i can just destroy the damn station

Multi-headed Cow

Endless Space? Made a bunch of posts in this thread. Started out pretty negative but it's grown on me. Current feeling toward it is mostly good for a laid back space 4X. Worth it during a Steam sale. And though some aspects of the game are weak I really, REALLY love the planet/system management.

tindrli

Arcane
Endless Space? Made a bunch of posts in this thread. Started out pretty negative but it's grown on me. Current feeling toward it is mostly good for a laid back space 4X. Worth it during a Steam sale. And though some aspects of the game are weak I really, REALLY love the planet/system management.

i thought about that new expansion but i get it..

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom