Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Yeah ok, seriously guys, STOP MERGING THREADS FFS

Mega-Threads

• Total voters
The forced "megathreads" are downright awful. Now, if a discussion naturally hits 100 pages, that's coolio. Merging all threads related to games or, even worse, game series into the same thread is fucktarded, making it a nightmare to wade through after the fact. I've always thought of the Codex as a "post and let post" type of place as long as, you know, you weren't a dumbfuck (and hell, even if you are). Stop fucking with it by arbitrarily merging stuff.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Mega-threads are fine for those kickstarter games, we don't need a new thread everytime Sawyer posts something on formspring

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Mega threads are fine for info that is time-sensitive. No one cares about what people wera talking about the Xbox One or PS4 some months ago, it doesn't matter anymore; recent news bring more info and perfectly replace the old ones.

But I might just want to know about Skyrim mods, and having a separate thread with all the info condensed makes a lot more sense that digging through 300 pages of the Skyrim mega-thread just trying to find any info.

Megathreads can eat a megadick, have not read hardly a single thing on P:E for 600 page dumb fuckery.

Yo Infinitron, I heard real time visceral action experiences are just the ultimate evolution of games and RPGs the way they always wished they could be, guess we should leave behind those obsolete and objectively worse turn based games too, It's a paradigm shift bro!!!

What a load of shit hiding your foul tasting opinion as some inevitable and inherently superior "new" paradigm, as opposed to just a load of bollocks that's always existed concurrently with other forms, was shittier then, shittier now.

BRB just going to search through 900 pages on SA of 3 dickbags sucking each other off with how good buddies they are to find 4 posts of slightly interesting information.

^ Don't forget, the current old-school gaming paradigm is struggling with challenges to the User Interface meta-design due to the undue persisting influence of the very un-visceral Fallout. That chore of a game and it's terrible design is holding the codex back, we must struggle to reach a synthesis of outdated UIs such as that with new and innovative titles such as facebook, so as to synergize with our internal resources as well as developing markets like Kinect and Wii U in order to reach market leadership position.

We have retardo land for posts like that.
Hell, take a look at the "Eternity" thread right now. What's in it? 698 pages of what? I want to talk about the combat system announced in Eternity and whether it will work. My post will just get lost in the swash of crap.

Let it be known that I have stopped following information about Project Eternity because of that Megathread. I do not have the time nor the fortitude to read through that shit just so that I can learn about the details I care about. How many people want every goddamn crumb of information that becomes available? There are specific topics about the game that I'd be interested in going into but I steer away completely if there's a requirement to read through multiple concurrent discussions, disjointedness and 20-50+ pages in between each new bit of information that becomes available.

It's an idea of administrative benefit, not discussion. It gets in the way of discussion.

laclongquan

Arcane
My biggest peeves with feed-style forum thread is that I cant seem to find anything I need on them. Always have to read 3-5 pages of ego-stroking before something of interest appear. Disctinctive and informative thread tittle help. Short thread help. mega thread does not help. Fuck megathread.

And before you spouting PE this and Wasteland2 that, no the threads are not for their data. All data on them and their likes upto now is speculation and plans. If devs change at last minute pre-release, all those threads mean dick. If I want concrete data, I will go to their wiki and wikia page where anything on it resulted from massive brawls between users and/or mods, not go to a forum thread.

So yeah, 100 seperate and disctinve threads is better than one 500-page megathread.

Catawampus

Learned
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
I would really hate to see Torment end up as a several hundred page thread like PE. The inevitable combat discussion alone will deserve its own thread once they start a poll. :P

80Maxwell08

Arcane
I tried reading the entire PE megathread once. I got 59 pages in a day then gave up. Granted I found probably the best post I'll ever see on the Codex there but trying to find info in that thread is like digging through a mountain of trash for some slightly more valuable trash. People are constantly asking about info that has been given several times in the past. It's useless for any actual good discussion because the whole thread gets derailed with a single troll post or some stupid Josh Sawyer tidbit. I'd much rather just let smaller threads asking some random question about a game just get left alone afterward or just locked not being moved into the middle of a conversation about something else entirely.

Also here's the post I mentioned.
http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...ct-eternity-thread.75947/page-39#post-2269895

People are constantly asking about info that has been given several times in the past.

That's the main problem, yeah. I want to talk about some feature, how many previous pages should I check to see if it was already discussed? 5? 10? Hell if I know, it moves too fast because everyone's discussing everything at once. Eh, I'll just post and see if a "regular" complains about old news.

Infinitron's idea of "sandbox" threads is interesting, but they have to be created for that purpose, coexisting with more specific threads, not a quicksand box that draws everything into its gullet, making it hell to find old posts unless you remember the exact words and posters.

Helton

Arcane
I think that when posters on a forum are close to each other, and know and care what other posters are doing, then the result of that is that they'd rather post in each other's threads than start new ones. That naturally converges towards megathread-like patterns of posting. It's like, "why reinvent the wheel?" Why start my own thread when I can join my bros in an existing one?

DarkUnderlord I think it has to do with how you're used to consuming content on the Internet. It used to be to be more of a "pull model". You, the user, would go out and Google for the information you need. And highly specific topic names are certainly helpful for that.

But today, more people are getting most of their information online from things like blog feeds and Facebook subscriptions/notifications - the "push model". Megathreads fit with that paradigm. The megathread is your one-stop-shop for the latest information. Just click on the earliest unread post every day and read until the end.
What the flying fuck is this shit? Take your shit pushing model shit to some other forum this isn't an evolution, its a parallel system that has always existed in any medium and is completely contrary to the heart of this place. I don't come here to be told what topics about which games I should be interested in.

"What's hot?" "What's pop?" "What's new?"

Motherfucker I watch Nick at Night recordings from 10 years ago that's how much I don't give a fuck what's hip. I play Fallout 1 and the original Mario Kart. My favorite movies are from the 80's. I don't need you to tell me what I'm interested in. Tell me what you're pushing and I'll decide whether or not I care.

This passive reception bullshit, that I read what you feed me and care about what the network heads tell me to is not the spirit of this place. Its bullshit. And its scary.

In summary, I repeat, fuck off.

Not that my gaming opinions are worth anything, but since I've come back here I've been hanging around GD subforums simply because the discussions are more manageable; every topic I might be interested in GRPG is over 50-150+ pages. Anything I'd like to discuss has likely already been discussed ["we talked about that on page 34, asshole!"]. Unless you're willing to put in the time to read through all of it, it just isn't conducive to members who haven't been following it since day 1. I much preferred the way it used to be back when I was here regularly circa 2007 (I don't know when the mega-thread idea was implemented): targeted discussions (threads) about a particular game/mechanic.

kazgar

Arcane
People are constantly asking about info that has been given several times in the past.

Infinitron's idea of "sandbox" threads is interesting, but they have to be created for that purpose, coexisting with more specific threads, not a quicksand box that draws everything into its gullet, making it hell to find old posts unless you remember the exact words and posters.

Mouth.jpg

....Anyhow, I wonder how the thread in the staff forum that's been started to talk about this thread being moved here is going.

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
Megathreads are a huge issue. I also stopped reading big topics on our board, like the Project Eternity one, because of the sheer size they have become. I'd take a break from the site for a few days and find that it had increased by 20 pages.

kentable

Scholar
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
After initially following the KS megathreads for the first 50 pages or so I slack off (irl stuff like keeping my rugrats from watering the TV and burning the plants while studying for classes) and find that I'm behind 20-30 pages on 3+ megathreads. Now I can only be bothered to read the news sections for my KS info. I get the impression I'm not missing much but derp and more derp.

I lasted about 50 pages on each of the kickstarter threads before giving up too. Fuck that shit. You're discussing one thing then wake up the next morning needing to read 15 pages of non-related crap to find the 3 posts about the topic you were interested in. And heaven help if there was a newspost on the front page, +50 page thread count.

Just give each megathread or KS games itself it's own subforum. Tree structures are better than list structures, this is elementary stuff. The other threads aren't bad because they don't move at the speed of fuck and have a half dozen conversations happening at once.

laclongquan

Arcane
I think that when posters on a forum are close to each other, and know and care what other posters are doing, then the result of that is that they'd rather post in each other's threads than start new ones. That naturally converges towards megathread-like patterns of posting. It's like, "why reinvent the wheel?" Why start my own thread when I can join my bros in an existing one?

DarkUnderlord I think it has to do with how you're used to consuming content on the Internet. It used to be to be more of a "pull model". You, the user, would go out and Google for the information you need. And highly specific topic names are certainly helpful for that.

But today, more people are getting most of their information online from things like blog feeds and Facebook subscriptions/notifications - the "push model". Megathreads fit with that paradigm. The megathread is your one-stop-shop for the latest information. Just click on the earliest unread post every day and read until the end.
What the flying fuck is this shit? Take your shit pushing model shit to some other forum this isn't an evolution, its a parallel system that has always existed in any medium and is completely contrary to the heart of this place. I don't come here to be told what topics about which games I should be interested in.

"What's hot?" "What's pop?" "What's new?"

Motherfucker I watch Nick at Night recordings from 10 years ago that's how much I don't give a fuck what's hip. I play Fallout 1 and the original Mario Kart. My favorite movies are from the 80's. I don't need you to tell me what I'm interested in. Tell me what you're pushing and I'll decide whether or not I care.

This passive reception bullshit, that I read what you feed me and care about what the network heads tell me to is not the spirit of this place. Its bullshit. And its scary.

In summary, I repeat, fuck off.

i always say fallout 1 is a mediocre top game, that's how much i dont give a fuck what's hip.

Lancehead

Liturgist
It would be nice to have separate thematic threads for games with large info.

As for the megathreads, I don't find them difficult to navigate. If I was away for a few days and need to catch up, I simply scan the pages for quotes, links, and images for new information, and follow relevant discussion if it interests me.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Same game -> DON'T MERGE YET
Same, or extremely similar topic as another recent thread -> MERGE
Generic updates about game X -> MERGE, megathread O.K.
Generally dumbfuck thread -> RETARDO

There, not that hard. Oh those silly admin forum hijinks...

Edit:
Administration™ 2 0%

:what:

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I think the most important conclusion coming from this thread is that Unfunnytron needs to be de-staffed. Fast.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom