Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NSFW Best Thread Ever [No SJW-related posts allowed]

FeelTheRads

Arcane
So, did you ask him why a such a "clean UI" as Skyrim's sucks worse than most UIs ever conceived?

Edit: Oh, and also why console UIs are mostly menus insides menus and inside other menus inside other shit menus?

kthx

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
vanilla Skyrim

[...]

clean UI

171.jpg

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
What the hell? The Skyrim UI being absolute shit was one of the only things gaming journalists were criticizing when the game was released. It was that horrible!

Hell, it was so bad that I think a beta UI mod was made before any nude mods.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
I think when he meant clean is the FPS view having minimalistic UI.
tumblr_m8asju9gBK1rpnb9so1_1280.jpg

I concede this is a good point.
But the moment you open the inventory that 'console ports benefit us' goes out of the window.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
If you map all UI functions to keyboard keys, you need even less of a visual UI :troll:

FeelTheRads

Arcane

If you map all UI functions to keyboard keys, you need even less of a visual UI

Pretty much this. Consoletards gonna consoletard, though.

And fuck "minimalistic" UIs. Show me the information, don't hide it. Of course, if you dumb down the game enough (as in Skyrim) you don't really have any information to show so you get a minimalistic UI for free.

baturinsky

Arcane
Only good crpg systems I can remember are those taken from tabletops. D&D and VtM. Original systems are mostly wildly disbalanced.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
you're all wrong. GOLD is the fucking ruler of all.
Without gold u can't have intelligence.
With gold you can have beauty.
With gold you can subtitute charisma.
With gold you can hire STR / AG

But the moment you open the inventory that 'console ports benefit us' goes out of the window.

morans.

Let me blow your fucking minds.

dSZayJh.jpg

DraQ

Arcane

morans.

Let me blow your fucking minds.

dSZayJh.jpg
But skyrim *hides* bars when they are full.
:troll:

Actually, hiding unneeded information (bar not visible implied full, for instance) is a good thing.
However, it's about *the* only thing that's good about Skyrim's GUI and it's completely independent of control method.
And then Skyrim UI fails to display relevant information - I'm speaking of active effects here, forcing you to delve deep into menus to learn for example whether your summon has been destroyed, lost or depawned, when are your buffs running out and what effects you've been hit with.
It also features completely unnecessary exploration spoiler (compass - you can enable in-world quest markers if you need those, and compass iteslf isn't strictly necessary and could be implemented in much subtler and less conspicuous manner - see System Shock 2) and fails to hide ugly, blocky, console crosshair when it's not in use.

And that's relatively good adventuring FPP GUI.
Underneath lie horrors. Lists without icons, sorting or information columns, hotkeying mechanics that involves navigating two lists, many clicks and is impotent when trying to, for example, select hand you want to use and general clusterfuck of pure evil and design ineptitude.
Compare with clean, functional and customizable Morrowind GUI on PC.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom