Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[POLL] How do you like your RPG forums?

How do you like your RPG forums?

• Total voters

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
Just keep it as it was: Regular and Popamole. Jesus, you fucking assholes.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
1) Classic cRPG - Classic/old school style RPGs. Moderator discretion but most people know this would exclude 99% of modern AAA 'RPGS' including Diablo clones. Includes old classics like Fallout, Gold Box, Eye of the Beholder and modern day counter parts like InXile games, Grimrock, etc.
2) General PC Gaming - Everything that doesn't fit into 1 or 4 and is, at worst, multiplatform. This would include Witcher series~
3) Console Gaming - console exclusive games including console 'RPGs.' This would also include 'backengineered' multiplatform games where it takes a year or more to get a PC port.
4) AnimeFaggotryPG - JRPG

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
The one and ONLY thing that matters about how to handle the cRPG forums is what encourages and emphasizes discussions on cRPG's.

As proved from the old system, the Console forum was shitposter central (in fact almost ALL shitposter's run and start posting there). It was a huge retard indicator.

The Computer cRPG forum for the most part had various and good discussions.

If you however want just one forum them, jRPG games need to be listed there then. They have better (if not more) cRPG elements than most all current AAA action cRPG games games. No free rides, and no preferential treatment. Want to discuss cRPG's? Then we have one forum (if that is what you want). MMRPG can be merged there too.

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
1) Classic cRPG - Classic/old school style RPGs. Moderator discretion but most people know this would exclude 99% of modern AAA 'RPGS' including Diablo clones. Includes old classics like Fallout, Gold Box, Eye of the Beholder and modern day counter parts like InXile games, Grimrock, etc.
2) General PC Gaming - Everything that doesn't fit into 1 or 4 and is, at worst, multiplatform. This would include Witcher series~
3) Console Gaming - console exclusive games including console 'RPGs.' This would also include 'backengineered' multiplatform games where it takes a year or more to get a PC port.
4) AnimeFaggotryPG - JRPG

This works... I don't want to have to click through subforums to get to the section I want.. unless you plan to have the subforum links on the top forum page.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
As proved from the old system, the Console forum was shitposter central (in fact almost ALL shitposter's run and start posting there). It was a huge retard indicator.

What's the problem with herding them all into one forum? Here's my position: I don't own a console. I'll probably never own a console. I'd just as soon as go to a forum free of herpaderp discussion on shit like Last Of Us or the crap Naughty Dog develops or 3DS news or WII news or whatever.

Codex is a democracy now?

At the moment, everything is descriptive and nothing is redundant. Subforums are separated by interests, rather than ass-pulled definitions, and I'd like it to remain that way.

janjetina

Arcane
Patron
Torment: Tides of Numenera
Single player computer RPGs, including the hybrids (generally games marketed as computer RPGs regardless of them meeting a particular definition), should go to CRPG discussion. Computer RPGs are the ones whose primary target platform is PC and whose primary gameplay mode is single player.

Console / AAA subforum should be closed. Games, whose primary target platform is not PC, should go to General gaming, regardless of the genre. MMO subforum should be closed. MMOs should go to General gaming.

Decision on where to put multiplatform games should be made based on their primary target platform. So, if a game has a day one PC release which is not a port, and is marketed as an RPG, it should go to CRPG discussion, regardless of its other target platforms and popamolization.

That is an optimal approach from where I stand. However, I find Jaesun's forum layout preferable to dumping console games with PC RPGs.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
^ Fuck no. Although I will say you could probably merge MMO with General PC Gaming as there are usually only two or three active MMO threads at a time.

Bluebottle

Erudite
Patron
Dead State Wasteland 2
To be honest I do prefer the distinction made in the front page between traditional CRPGs and basically everything else that has commonly come to be labelled under the header RPG (Action RPG, JRGs, MMORPGs). There seems to be more titles that can comfortably fit into the first category being developed now than in all the time I've posted here, and...well... for the most part that's what I'm interested in reading about. Having a place that is mostly just that is convenient. People might get their panties in a twist sometimes about whether a given title belongs in one section or another, but I'm no genre snob and I really don't care if my own personal definitions are upheld, so usually I find these examples of autistic butthurt to be amusing, in the finest tradition of the Codex.

So, yeah, I'd vote for keeping the status quo.

LundB

Mistakes were made.
I can't be bothered to go through the vote lists, but I hope no one voting to keep the forums separate has ever complained about Jaesun (or anyone for that matter) moving threads. I've never had a problem with it, but a lot of you have, and it would be a shame to be inconsistent.

If you're voting against a merge, you're voting for Jaesun (and others) to continue moving threads around. If you complain about it after this poll, it's your own fault.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I can't be bothered to go through the vote lists, but I hope no one voting to keep the forums separate has ever complained about Jaesun (or anyone for that matter) moving threads. I've never had a problem with it, but a lot of you have, and it would be a shame to be inconsistent.

If you're voting against a merge, you're voting for Jaesun (and others) to continue moving threads around. If you complain about it after this poll, it's your own fault.

He moved threads before the split too - from GRPG to General Gaming.

A user named cat

Someone needs to unsticky some of the bloat at the top of the cRPG forum, if anything. Stuff like the Arcanum Repository and System Shock 2 guide should be moved to their own game sections. Thus you need to finally put that Games button to use at the top of Codex that's been sitting there linking to nothing and give some games their own pages. This feature is under-development = my ass. Also couldn't give a donkey dick about some Sir-Tech eBay auction.

A user named cat

Perhaps, never sifted through its 80+ pages due to the subject matter not interesting me in the slightest. Still though, would be nice for some games to get their own pages and clear up some forum space. Nothing fancy necessary but it seems that's where mod guides and such would belong.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Perhaps, never sifted through its 80+ pages due to the subject matter not interesting me in the slightest.

The subject matter is Cleve's epic tales of his days working for Sir-Tech in the early 90s. It's one of the Codex's most famous drama/lulz threads. It's the reason why the "Best Thread Ever" was renamed "Second Best Thread Ever".

As a self-proclaimed RPG expert, I suggest implementing the following criteria:

All RPGs, big and small, great and shitty, PC and console, go into the RPG Discussion forum where each member can decide which thread he wants to read. Games that are a mix, like JA2, can be discussed in both RPG and Strategy games forums. If RPG nuts want to talk about the RPG awesomeness of JA2, I see no reason to move it.

Mods should not waste their valuable time creating new paradigm shifts and mindshares by rearranging forums and threads according to the latest trends.

Emphasising this point.

I might well be one of the few people that actually wants more discussion of "what is an RPG". Certainly beats "which megathread should these posts go into?"

Now I admit that the amount of traffic at the Codex has increased considerably in recent times so there is an eventual risk of topics being drowned too quickly in a single forum but I will take inconvenience any day over someone's attempt to classify games arbitrarily knowing how much that actually stifles good discussion.

The only forum split criteria I truly support is one which makes no value judgements on the overall value of an RPG (and whose only purpose is to split the traffic), e.g. something as superficial and simple as, say

"Games A-M Go in Forum 1. Games N-Z go in forum 2. If it doesn't start with a letter then put it wherever the fuck (We have many eager mods desperate to move your threads into the correct place so sit back and enjoy)"

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
There could also be two forums separated by date. Maybe all games 1999 and older go in one forum all games 2000 and newer go in the other.

Games that are released in multiple countries on the threshold of 99/00 can be based off US release dates because all events of major global importance are based on US time. It only makes sense to categorize things as such.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
There could also be two forums separated by date. Maybe all games 1999 and older go in one forum all games 2000 and newer go in the other.

Games that are released in multiple countries on the threshold of 99/00 can be based off US release dates because all events of major global importance are based on US time. It only makes sense to categorize things as such.

At one point, I was a bit obsessed with the Codex's role as a facilitator of discussion of really old RPGs, and I recommended a "Golden Age" forum with a cutoff date set at around 1994. I even had numerous arguments with MMXI about it. He was the one who originally proposed the PC/Console division.

Original poll: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...the-final-rpg-vs-crpg-forum-discussion.74532/

I've since realized that MMXI was right - it's better that the Codex be focused on a PC-exclusive future for the CRPG genre (via Kickstarter) and the PC/Console division emphasizes that.

mondblut

Arcane
Oh, this topic again.

The divsion that needs to be here is between proper RPGs, twitchy action shit, and jap filth.

(sorry Obsidian fanboys, your FONV and alphaturd just do not belong. and they aren't exactly AAA either :smug: )

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
The one and ONLY thing that matters about how to handle the cRPG forums is what encourages and emphasizes discussions on cRPG's.

And that's what the mods should be focusing on - dealing with shitposters, not rearranging forums.

If you however want just one forum them, jRPG games need to be listed there then. They have better (if not more) cRPG elements than most all current AAA action cRPG games games.
And that's why they need to be listed there.

No free rides, and no preferential treatment.
These forums are about having discussions with people who have something interesting to say. What preferential treatment can there be?

Want to discuss cRPG's? Then we have one forum (if that is what you want). MMRPG can be merged there too.
MMOs are something different though. They are about social interaction with retards, not RPG elements.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I'm one of about... ten people who somewhat regularly post in the MMO forums and even I realize there simply isn't enough discussion there to warrant its own forum. Also dividing games by date is pointless and arbitrary at this point. Discussion of Wasteland 2, Shadowrun Returns, Grimrock, Chaos Chronicles, etc. should be lumped together with Fallout 3, RAGE, and Diablo 3 because they all came out past a certain date?

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
It seems that if we split the RPG forums we'll forever have arguments about whether a game belongs to one category or the other. The only time there was no debate was when we named the forums "RPGs Jaesun likes" and "RPGs Jaesun thinks are shit". I say merge them in order to stop future debates. I would also be willing to go back to a PC RPG vs Console RPG split. Going to AAA+ titles vs Classic RPGs would be a mistake, since some games coming from the Indie or kickstarter scene wouldn't fit well into either.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom